• * Ammonia Level - 0
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level - btwn 5-20 depending how often the water is changed
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops
  • * Water temperature? 70
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons, approx 5 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? - AC 70
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Every 2-4 days, 50%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 50ish 7 week old fry
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? three times a day, crushed Omega One Flakes
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. N/A
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nope, I did have one that dropsied but he is separated and doing really well now.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Nope

Guys I am losing about 2 fry a day. There don't seem to be any symptoms, the bodies look normal, I never see any warning signs, they just keel over. I'm wondering if there might be some parasite problem? Maybe they just had internal deformities?? I don't know. Everyone eats enthusiastically, all poos look normal, all are active, no bottom sitting, no floating/sinking. I'm at a loss. I tried upping the water changes from every 4 days to every other day but I'm still losing them at the same rate. This has been going on for about two weeks.

Thanks for your ideas. :)

May be it's worth treating them for flukes?

I have been thinking about splitting them into two groups, treating one with salt and one with prazi and seeing which works better.

Tapataljk makes mre tipe badd

I wrote to a couple of our breeders here, and asked them to take a look as well. So, hang tight :)

I usually feed my babys every few hours, I think every 4 hours feeding is whats recommended ..they might not quite be getting enough to eat? especially if your keep it extra clean nothing for them to nibble on

I have been thinking about splitting them into two groups, treating one with salt and one with prazi and seeing which works better.

both work well together.. perhaps you should leave them where they are and treat salt and prazi together if you're considering treatment.. just a thought. good luck hun, i don't really know much about fry :(

best comfirm fluke infest by inspecting next deaths with microscope inspection of the gills . If you see a live squirming fluke you will know exactly what to do.

Yeah, I don't have a microscope, so....

Elli,I don't know about fry either-but could the temp be too low for them?Wouldn't they respond better to a higher temp? Just a thought.......

It's the same temp they have been at since they hatched. And there is always uneaten food so I don't think they are underfed either, and they are growing well. I prazi'd them and I have salted water cooling right now. Fins crossed.

I guess I could add a heater. I have an extra 150w.

Do both. Could be flukes and or ciliates.

Edited by Ichthius

Ichthius, thank you for chiming in! .01% salt while doing the prazi, and then up it to .03%, ya think? And for how long?

I'd get then to 3 ppt and keep them there until things clear up. I often keep fry in salt long term. Keeps the brine alive and keeps many bugs at bay that can proliferate in a dense fry tank.

Do multiple prazi treatments assuming egg layers which require multiple treatments with their intervals depending on temperature. There are a few protocols out there, but if you can't find them I would think doing two weeks back to back would get them.

And now comes the hard part. It's time to cull atleast half.

Edited by Ichthius

And now comes the hard part. It's time to cull atleast half.

:yikes

I'm glad youre getting help from David,Elli :heart

Thanks. I need to order more prazi, I probably only have about one treatment for the 40g left.

As for culling... I know, I know. But they all look good to me. Nice fins, nice bodies. I did cull some with spine problems and one with no tail and the very few singletails I got. Their colors haven't shown up yet. There are a couple with curls in their tails that probably should go. But then again I could just keep them. :peeka:cry

Thank you again for the help. I love Koko's! Everyone is so responsive and knowledgeable.

Good luck with our fry, Elli. ... You promised me the first one, remember? You can send one to everyone else after! :rofl

hun, just remember that if you're going to choose prazi pro, don't salt higher than 0.2% if you're going to use the powder prazi, then 0.3% salt is fine :)

Sounds like parasites, most likely the common culprit are flukes. Fry are too active to show any symptoms and jf left untreated you could faced with more casualties. Apart from culling to reduce your bio load, you should also increase your w/cs, say 80% daily. Doing the same w/c is not enough because they are growing daily and it actually makes their space smaller and smaller. Try also not to have any nitrate too as it can hinder growth. Feeding just flakes alone are not good (causes sbp and stunted growth) for them, live food is best but if that is not available you can use any frozen type or better still, chop up some fbw, rinse well and feed several times a day. They should have rounded bellies. Have fun raising them.