Sign in to follow this  
lwebe10

I feel good yet horrible

So as I have mentioned before my BF works at Wal-mart and has already tried talking to management about how they keep the fish,

=( earlier in the sping about a month ago they got a shipment of probably 7 or 8 inch koi...almost a dozen seriously crammed in a 20 gallon long...all of them sold or died and there was only this one black and white one left.

I am there a lot since my BF works there and I have pets and 3 kids...anyway I watched this black an white shiny koi turn to clamped fins and almost red lines over his whole body...at some point his tail wacked against something and he got a piece of plastic stuck in him and it opened a sore and really started looking icky. For almost the last two weeks everytime I went in there he was swimming as hard as he could against the left side of the fishtank constantly trying to get out... :cry

Last night I went in and the other comets they had crammed in there with him were trying to eat him and he still wasnt doing anything other than swimming his hardest against the tank wall trying to get out. I finally couldnt handle it and I bought him...17.00 for a large koi and asked the guy scooping them how long the guarantee was. 1 day he says ...there only fish pfft. I was pissed.

I moved my other tiny petsmart rescues to a 20 gallon storage tub and put him into the 45...to small for a koi really =( but im treating him with salt and prazi right now. Took a pliers and pulled out the plastic stuck in his back fin =( ...I feel better that he has calmed down...isnt swimming against the glass. But somehow I feel like I just continued to support walmarts mistreatment of fish....

Here is a pic showing how his whole body is red streaked or stained red...the open sore from the plastic I pulled out and even more worrisome is his blood colored stool =( ...if he recovers it will be a miracle I think.

DSCF1770.jpg

Oh, that's horrible.

I'm glad you rescued him, but that Wm really needs to stop carrying koi, or even just fish :(

This is terrible. I really hope your fish makes it. You're doing good thing by giving him his best shot :heart

I really hope he pulls through hun :thumb:

Bless you for saving him :heart Fins crossed for a recovery :heart

A 'good deed" NEVER goes unnoticed, and I hope WM soon will wake up and NOT sell certain fish !!

Poor Guy! I know, I hate that you have to pay money to save them. I feel like we should be able to just give them a citation and take the poor fish away.

Poor Guy! I know, I hate that you have to pay money to save them. I feel like we should be able to just give them a citation and take the poor fish away.

I wish Koko's or some other fish authority could deputize us so we could do that!

i also feel like buying them only contributes to wal-mart buying more to stick in there =( if nobody bought them they might discontinue to carry fish...But he looked so horribly desperate...I really hope he recovers to...though my 165 gallon pond is a bit small for a koi...I don't trust my 300 gallon stock tank set up since my issue last summer even though that would be the perfect size for him.

I can't believe that Walmart still carries pets. They stopped that in our area over a decade ago. It is ridiculous that a place with people who have no training should be allowed to have a live pet license. I would find out who issues those and try to get your friends and you need to harass them about pulling it.

I am really going to date myself here-but Woolworth's used to carry fish,and I don't remember these kinds of problems.........But I was quite young,so this was a while ago.They carried turtles too-it's where I got my 1st turt.

I understand why you feel conflicted and completely agree about buying from Walmart. I am sure none of us would chose to buy our fish there in normal circumstances because the conditions they provide are so poor, and it is very good to be mindful of the bigger picture (and other actions that may be available to communicate concern). If he had died, though, I am not sure that your not buying him would have made any difference--I'm afraid they'd just replace him anyway. But, buying him makes a difference to him. You've given him a chance, that's an act of kindness to a suffering creature --to me, that puts you squarely on the good side of the karmic fence. I just think he is a very lucky fish. I hope he gets better.

It never even occured to me that they would sell koi, especially a bigger one. I do hope he heals for you.

It is great you rescued him, now you got the perfect excuse for a pond :rofl

As for supporting walmart, email or call corporate. They usually DO take complains like that quite serious. Every time we complain about the fish keeping at our local WM, within a few days all the tanks are sparkly clean and dead fish removed. I believe that if enough people complain, they will eventually stop selling fish. There are some WM stores that already close down their live fish section, and the newer stores that were built in my area over the last few years, never even included live fish.

That tells me that WM is already slowly getting away from live fish, and the more we yell at them, the sooner it will happen for good.

The best would be to go back to the store, take a couple photos of the conditions of the tank, and then email customer support. Make up a story about how you were planning to buy a tank and a few fish but you saw in what terrible condition the fish were and changed your mind - you went to Petsmart instead even though they are a bit more expensive.

Put emphasis on how they missed out on a good bit of $$$ because of that (considering you were getting a 20 gallon tank, a filter, air pump etc etc and of course the fish).

The big guys that run WM usually get very peeved when they hear that they missed out on $$$ :D :D

It never even occured to me that they would sell koi, especially a bigger one. I do hope he heals for you.

Really? My local WM usually has at least two dozen koi for sale at all times, between 2" and 7" length. They cram them together with fancies, single tails, and even some between the feeder goldfish :doh11:

They do have REALLY pretty koi though. In general my WM has very beautiful goldfish, but they all usually deteriorate quickly once they hit the store.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

i also feel like buying them only contributes to wal-mart buying more to stick in there =( if nobody bought them they might discontinue to carry fish...But he looked so horribly desperate...I really hope he recovers to...though my 165 gallon pond is a bit small for a koi...I don't trust my 300 gallon stock tank set up since my issue last summer even though that would be the perfect size for him.

Iwe, although I do recommend 300gal min for a koi, if he pulls through and ends up in that pond it’s going to be a huge improvement on what would probably have happened to him (death, or crammed into tank to die) so don’t sweat it for now. In something that size he would never reach full size, but with good filtration and lots of W/C it could be manageable for a few years. Think of it like keeping a fancy in 5 instead of 10 gal (As it is roughly half of the 165, I’m assuming there are no others in this pond?), not the best thing, with extra care (lots of WC and all that) you could manage it for a while. After trying to get him well (fingers crossed! They are very tough, he’s held on this long) you have a temporary housing option which will work with his current size, and can worry about a permanent one later. :)

What a gorgeous fish! Good on you for rescuing him, I'm sure he will be a million times happier with you! :)

Am I right in thinking that Walmart is a supermarket, similar to maybe Tesco over here? I can't imagine being able to buy pets like that!

I get that companies want to sell as much as possible - that's their business. But when a store is so varied, I don't think it's right to stock live creatures there too. With so much going on in one store, the animals are never going to get the care they need/deserve. I couldn't work somewhere like that ... I'd get too tempted to be like 'oh yeah, that fish died earlier so I took it out ....' ... and put it in my tanks at home... haha!

What a gorgeous fish! Good on you for rescuing him, I'm sure he will be a million times happier with you! :)

Am I right in thinking that Walmart is a supermarket, similar to maybe Tesco over here? I can't imagine being able to buy pets like that!

I get that companies want to sell as much as possible - that's their business. But when a store is so varied, I don't think it's right to stock live creatures there too. With so much going on in one store, the animals are never going to get the care they need/deserve. I couldn't work somewhere like that ... I'd get too tempted to be like 'oh yeah, that fish died earlier so I took it out ....' ... and put it in my tanks at home... haha!

I don't know what Tesco is, but Walmart is a "superstore" that sells everything from groceries, clothes, hardware, car stuff, electronics, toys, pet supplies, pharmaceutics, etc etc.

And you are right, there is way too much going on. I had noted that in an earlier topic about Walmarts fish care. I know people that work at Walmart and these stores are always very under-staffed because the greedy company doesn't want to put out an extra buck if they can avoid it.

At my local WM they don't even have a special associate for the live fish care. Just whoever of the stockers is stuck stocking the shelves in the pet section is going to be the one who has to take care of the live fish that day. The majority of them probably do not have any experience with fish care at all.

My local wm is a little better. The same lady has worked in the fish dept for abot ten years now. They treat the tanks and fish. They are kept clean and the water clear. Mostly it is when new shippments come in that they have yuck or dead fish. Though they will tell you they dont know much about the diff products they sell. We have another a little further away and it is gross dirty dark water the last time i was there. I think a lot depends on who runs the deptment.

Walmart own our Asda. So like Asda but with a bit more (eg animals) :)

Ah I see! Yeah, Asda is owned by Walmart, I think. I can't imagine that kind of store carrying pets. They do pet supplies, but the staff on the whole are generally awful. Probably because they're overworked and underpaid. Some staff are very helpful and polite, but so many times I've asked someone something and they just go 'no idea, not my area.' and walk off. That's annoying, but when you're dealing with groceries that's not so crucial. All kinds of pets I think need to be in a place soley dedicated to live animals, otherwise it's just too risky.

Poor fish, how's he doing now? I really hope he makes it. I have a few walmart rescues myself, my local store doesn't even keep count of what sells/dies. Walmart makes me sick, I have complained twice at my local one. They never feed or care for the bettas, and they just eventually die in their brown water. Even the employees say it's terrible when I complain, the manager of the pet dept. just shrugged when I complained. I followed her and she just dumped out the dead ones and continued to ignore the still live ones. I then complained to the store manager, who barely spoke English, and he finally smiled and said, "did you want to buy some fish"? No dumb a$$, I want you to take care of the ones you have. A message to the corporate HG got me nowhere, either.

Fins, do you guys have an RSPCA or similar animal welfare organisation (A legit one with good public standing and actual work behind them like RSPCA would be best, avoid ones like PETA wherever possible)? If so, I would be reporting this to them, and if possible compile a small report on why this is so bad (basic biology like waste in water and how/why it is bad) so people actually grasp what is wrong, and then submit it to local news outlets/pet sections/letters to the editors etc. Include photos of the dead fish and bad conditions, as nothing works as well as a visual image. Nothing like bad press to start getting stuff done. Post it on all their online review sites (google reviews, etc) and submit it to the local and even state aquaculture/aquarium societies, as they can push a LOT of weight in helping expose these things. Hopefully it will be the spark that starts an outrage.

I am so happy the walmarts around here stopped selling fish over 5 years ago. They used to be in completly horrible condition. I'm not sure if it is all the walmarts in Canada, but every single one I've been to in alberta and BC do not have any fish in them, which makes me soooooooooooo happy! And congrats on the new fish! Looks just like my koi named cow haha

Well things were looking better than got worse, he jumped out of the 45...so I had to do some shuffling and get my 165 back set up. Now he looks a little more ruff even!...but on the plus side his eating and his color is looking much more white vs the pink tinge he was. He doesn't quite know what to make of my gelfood...But he is eating atleast and swimming actively :clapping:

That's good news! He really is a lucky fishie-I hope he gets better. Little does he know it, but home-cooking is good for him--tell him Auntie Spillie said so.