Why He Has Flat Stain On His Nose?

Musterbeard, no one questions that you care for your fish. The point people have been trying to make is that the current tank is simply too small for the two fish, and there will continue to be issues, so long as the situation is not remedied. There have been a number of practical suggestions for upgrading that doesn't necessarily cost a ton of money.

As you say just up above, there is responsibility involved, and the thing to do here is to try to find larger accommodations for them as soon as possible.

Edited by dnalex

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an immediate measure, you should get 2 Sterilite (or other food-safe tubs) that are at least 76 litres each. They're cheap and would go a long way towards helping your fish, while you save up for a tank big enough for both of them.

You will also need one air pump, two airstones, airline tubing, two valves that prevent backflow, and a T-valve (if the pump has only one outlet). It sounds like a lot but it will cost you the equivalent of about $60 in US money total, and it's certainly worth it for the sake of your goldfish. You'll need another filter, too, and you should add some media from the old one when you set it up.

How do i make sure that food safe tubs are safe for fish? I know that some may be made in China and i heard that they produce stuff like plastic from not so good materials... Air pump? You mean additional air pump? Here in Israel it will cost me more.

I have JEBO filter. You think it has media inside it? Somebody suggested me to place ceramics for the benefit of developing biological bacteria, but could you enlighten me more on ceramic stuff?

So if i get 25 gallons aquarium, i will need to multiply it by 4-5 times to finally calculate the water flow filter must have? How about this filter then:

2818715.jpg

As someone who is probably as tight with money as you are let me suggest to you to use your local free classified site. Over here it is called craigslist, the UK has gumtree not sure what is best in your area but a google search pulled up this:http://www.quora.com...slist-in-Israel On craigslist we have a for sale section and a community section, people list tanks on both, most times they are selling the whole workings for the tank. The key is to haggle, ask them to cut the price in half first then wait for them to give you a better price. There is also a wanted section where you can post for cheap used tanks.

Now if you are really cheap like me, you check out the free ads on your preferred site. There is also a wonderful place called freecycle and there are freecycles in Israel. http://www.freecycle...group/IL/Israel Freecycle is a place where people post ads giving away gently used items that they don't care to sell and would prefer not to throw in the trash. You can also post want ads on freecycle. You have to join the group and all the ads are streamed into your email, and you reply or post through your email as well. Freecycle was how I got my first real aquarium which was 20gallons or 75 liters, included stand and filter!

As another person said, 20 gallon tank really doesn't take up much space at all, and a 30 gallon tall tank takes the same amount of space, just taller.

Hey thanks for resources! How much your 20 gallons aquarium including stand and filter cost you?

pandamanda111[/color]']

I'm not quite understanding that last part...

If i was to release fishies, where would i find appropriate place for this?

Edited by musterbeard

Musterbeard, any food-safe container should be safe for fish.

As for releasing the fish, you should not ever do that. That can have some very far reaching negative consequences. You can re-home them to the keeping of another person or persons, but you will want to check first to see if they have the appropriate set up. Otherwise, nothing will have been accomplished.

Musterbeard, any food-safe container should be safe for fish.

I have small food containers in my kitchen, but i don't remember seeing ones over 20 gallons / 75 litres. Are we talking about containers that are for picnics?

As for releasing the fish, you should not ever do that. That can have some very far reaching negative consequences.

I was dreaming of releasing fishies to KOI goldfish pond where they could live happily ever after...

In the US, for example, there are plastic tubs with the Sterilite brand that are 20+ gallons. I'm not sure if these are available in Israel, but there should be food-safe plastic bins. You just have to ask the store employees, or check with the companies that make them.

As an immediate measure, you should get 2 Sterilite (or other food-safe tubs) that are at least 76 litres each. They're cheap and would go a long way towards helping your fish, while you save up for a tank big enough for both of them.

You will also need one air pump, two airstones, airline tubing, two valves that prevent backflow, and a T-valve (if the pump has only one outlet). It sounds like a lot but it will cost you the equivalent of about $60 in US money total, and it's certainly worth it for the sake of your goldfish. You'll need another filter, too, and you should add some media from the old one when you set it up.

How do i make sure that food safe tubs are safe for fish? I know that some may be made in China and i heard that they produce stuff like plastic from not so good materials... Air pump? You mean additional air pump? Here in Israel it will cost me more.

I have JEBO filter. You think it has media inside it? Somebody suggested me to place ceramics for the benefit of developing biological bacteria, but could you enlighten me more on ceramic stuff?

So if i get 25 gallons aquarium, i will need to multiply it by 4-5 times to finally calculate the water flow filter must have? How about this filter then:

2818715.jpg

As someone who is probably as tight with money as you are let me suggest to you to use your local free classified site. Over here it is called craigslist, the UK has gumtree not sure what is best in your area but a google search pulled up this:http://www.quora.com...slist-in-Israel On craigslist we have a for sale section and a community section, people list tanks on both, most times they are selling the whole workings for the tank. The key is to haggle, ask them to cut the price in half first then wait for them to give you a better price. There is also a wanted section where you can post for cheap used tanks.

Now if you are really cheap like me, you check out the free ads on your preferred site. There is also a wonderful place called freecycle and there are freecycles in Israel. http://www.freecycle...group/IL/Israel Freecycle is a place where people post ads giving away gently used items that they don't care to sell and would prefer not to throw in the trash. You can also post want ads on freecycle. You have to join the group and all the ads are streamed into your email, and you reply or post through your email as well. Freecycle was how I got my first real aquarium which was 20gallons or 75 liters, included stand and filter!

As another person said, 20 gallon tank really doesn't take up much space at all, and a 30 gallon tall tank takes the same amount of space, just taller.

Hey thanks for resources! How much your 20 gallons aquarium including stand and filter cost you?

pandamanda111[/color]']

I'm not quite understanding that last part...

If i was to release fishies, where would i find appropriate place for this?

The 20 gallon with stand and filter I got for free from freecycle! Most say you need 10x filtration, so a 76liter tank needs 760 LPH, unless you get a canister filter then you can cut it in half. I would try and buy off amazon or ebay if fish stuff costs so much more out there. I buy most my stuff off amazon.com. BTW,

223628367.jpg

Above is the type of bin they are talking about. The above one which was an 18g cost me less than $5.

Here is an example of this set up (this is Sakura's QT tub):

f003.jpg

It is transparent which is great and one i wouldn't mind to have. I also understand one requires some DIY skills to setup bridge, cell for filter etc.

The 20 gallon with stand and filter I got for free from freecycle! Most say you need 10x filtration, so a 76liter tank needs 760 LPH, unless you get a canister filter then you can cut it in half. I would try and buy off amazon or ebay if fish stuff costs so much more out there. I buy most my stuff off amazon.com. BTW,223628367.jpg

Above is the type of bin they are talking about. The above one which was an 18g cost me less than $5.

10x filtration? I read that at least 4x filtration required. Wait, i thought 20 gallons you mentioned earlier was aquarium, not this blue tub?

Hi Musterbeard,

Goldfish are generally very messy fish and require 10x filtration, some choose more, but the general consensus is 10x is enough.

I believe if I've followed this thread close enough, the 20+gallons is what you require for an aquarium; however, the same size body of water is still required should you choose to buy a storage tub. Just because it isn't an aquarium, doesn't mean a smaller body of water is somehow beneficial. Being a storage container, you should be able to get one cheaper (as others have mentioned of 20+ gallons) than an aquarium of similar size :)

Here is an example of this set up (this is Sakura's QT tub):

f003.jpg

It is transparent which is great and one i wouldn't mind to have. I also understand one requires some DIY skills to setup bridge, cell for filter etc.

The 20 gallon with stand and filter I got for free from freecycle! Most say you need 10x filtration, so a 76liter tank needs 760 LPH, unless you get a canister filter then you can cut it in half. I would try and buy off amazon or ebay if fish stuff costs so much more out there. I buy most my stuff off amazon.com. BTW,223628367.jpg

10x filtration? I read that at least 4x filtration required. Wait, i thought 20 gallons you mentioned earlier was aquarium, not this blue tub?

I'm not sure what the bridge is for but when I would quarantine my fishys I would use a storage bin like in the picture. Most my filters fit just fine on it without doing anything special. The tank I got from freecycle was an aquarium, not a storage bin. I was only putting a picture up to help you understand what they were saying, and to add that I have used them as well. Come to think of it I also got a 30 gallon aquarium from freecycle as well.

I have about 22 goldies and 4 of them I got in the past 5 months so I needed to do some moving around.

Edited by Smurfishy

The piece of wood across Sakura's is just a piece of plywood bolted in on either side. It is just to make sure that the container does not crack under the stress of the water. It will depend on the tub you get whether or not something like this bracing system is necessary or not. It is however better to go with a clear plastic tub over the colored ones :)

Also, the link you posted regarding filtration is an article about freshwater aquariums in general and is not goldfish specific. Goldfish require more filtration than most other freshwater fish. 10x gph/lph is the standard recommendation for goldies.

EDIT: posted at the same time as Susan ;)

Edited by tithra

the tubs that are shown as examples here are usually temporary accomodation for goldfish that are either in quarantine (because they are new or sick), or because someone was wrongly told to buy a small tank and upon arriving here, found they needed to put their fish in a bigger volume of water, but could not yet afford to buy a new aquarium. whilst it may not look particularly great, it is better to have them in a 100 litre storage tub like that than to leave them to suffer for another couple of months as you save for a new fish tank.

Thanks for answers guys. I shot video of how fishtank looks now after removing pineapple and making a pile of some unnecessary gravel. You can observe fishies digging after their feeding. Make sure to switch to 720p HD definition for viewing:

FrIZO.png

Very cute goldies, and great job for taking the advice on removing some substrate and ornaments. Please take the advice of the people on this forum. They are very knowledgeable and genuinely love goldies and only want what is best for them. By following the advice you will see your lovely goldies grow and be so very happy and healthy. :)

Very cute goldies, and great job for taking the advice on removing some substrate and ornaments. Please take the advice of the people on this forum. They are very knowledgeable and genuinely love goldies and only want what is best for them. By following the advice you will see your lovely goldies grow and be so very happy and healthy. :)

How much more can they grow? Is it relative to aquarium size? I mean the bigger aquarium, the bigger will fishies get?

in the sort of space you have them in now, they will not grow very big - they will be stunted. if you put them in a more appropriately-sized tank or pond with a good maintenance routine and a healthy diet, they could easily reach a foot (30cm) in size. so yes, the bigger the aquarium, the more likely they will reach their potential sizes.

if you put them in a more appropriately-sized tank or pond with a good maintenance routine and a healthy diet, they could easily reach a foot (30cm) in size.

Easily? Kidding me? How many years should i assume under "easily"? What would i do with 30cm goldies?

Interesting species are these goldies... If a human would be put in tight space, he would grow no matter what given this was the only restriction, but goldies' growth is depended on size of surrounding space.

• Supporter

if you put them in a more appropriately-sized tank or pond with a good maintenance routine and a healthy diet, they could easily reach a foot (30cm) in size.

Easily? Kidding me? How many years should i assume under "easily"? What would i do with 30cm goldies?

Interesting species are these goldies... If a human would be put in tight space, he would grow no matter what given this was the only restriction, but goldies' growth is depended on size of surrounding space.

this advice is going round and round in circles.. it's quite obvious you know more than we do where it concerns the ideal environment of your fish.. and if that's the case, then they shouldn't be sick. so with your advanced skills, you should be teaching us a few lessons on how to keep ill fish well :)

good work, i look forward to learning how to go backwards in my hobby... since stunting is your ideal way of keeping goldfish.

this advice is going round and round in circles.. it's quite obvious you know more than we do where it concerns the ideal environment of your fish.. and if that's the case, then they shouldn't be sick. so with your advanced skills, you should be teaching us a few lessons on how to keep ill fish well :)

good work, i look forward to learning how to go backwards in my hobby... since stunting is your ideal way of keeping goldfish.

agreed

Found some people with offers:

First guy offers 64.5 x 49 x 41.5, 130 litres (34.3 gals) aquarium with perspex crown (no idea what it is, but he states it has mounting which includes 2 reflectors, has place for fan and T5 lighting which is disassembled currently and worth ~$40 alone), air pump, quartz gravel and 200W Ferplast heater:

uMMQX.jpg

soFFy.jpg

Optional ($73): Iron painted galvanized stand, profile 40x40 with dimensions 70 x 60 x 90

Price for aquarium: $79

After trade-in: $50

Second offers the following 146 litres (38.5 gals) aquarium, panoramic with lighting simply for an exchange of mine:

9KkYa.jpg

Price after trade-in: $0

Third guy has the following aquariums and offers trade-in:

75 x 40 x 45

90 x 60 x 30

90x 60 x 40

50 x 44 x 58

Prices are unknown yet.

I don't have stand for new aquarium but i was thinking of using this table i have on my balcony and keep fishies there, but i doubt it:

8MiRPl.jpg

Edited by musterbeard

• Supporter

there is. you will need to run a part water part bleach solution to sterilize it. then you need to let it dry out in the sun after you rinse it. then you rinse it again, make sure that there is NO smell of bleach at all.. not even the slightest trace and after all that, you can fill it :)

if you are buying/receiving used filters including filter hoses.. ie, anything that tank water comes into contact with, these items need to be sterilized the same way also.