Sign in to follow this  
Guest PeachesCat

Need Help Stat!

Guest PeachesCat

Rooty has Ich and the flukes is getting worse. Do I treat the Ich first (I bought medicine today) or treat the flukes or treat both at the same time?

awww man! :o

sorry to hear that rooty isnt doing too well!

i can tell you that prazi (non-toxic) can be used with salt without any adverse reactions in goldfish and koi! with this in mind, i would say that you could safely dose your tank with a parasitic dose of salt (while bringing your heater up to 78 degrees f.) and the prazi at the same time. however, you should make sure that you are aerating the #%$& out of your tank because less oxygen is available at higher temperatures.

many people swear by salt eliminating ich! i would try this before going to harsh medications.

post back if you need any clarification on the levels of salt needed for treating ich!

toothlessly yours,

paul

in fact, i strongly suggest that you try to treat the ich with salt first! that way you can treat (prazi and salt) for both parasites at the same time! otherwise you could run the risk of either parasite reproducing to astronomical numbers by treating one or the other at different times!

i hope hes doing ok! :unsure:

paul

Guest PeachesCat

I hooked up my python to clean the tank before the medication, and water all over the floor! The sink was clogged and I didnt know it. Used every towel and sheet I had in the house to soak it up, and the floor is still damp. Don't know if it went to the apartment below!

The petstore said the best Ich med is Ick Guard (crystals.) Ingrediants: Sodium Chloride, victoria green, acriflavine. Since the primary ingrediant is salt, can I use this with the Prazi?

How bad is the ich? Is the fish covered or are their a few spots here and there?

As long as the fish is not covered, I would try just plain salt.

And I think the best meds for ich would be Quick Cure. Because it contains formaldehyde and malachite green.

The stuff you bought has salt for it's first ingredient.

So I would do what Toothless recommended, unless you fish is totally plastered with ich.

Jessica

Guest PeachesCat

Just two dots... The petstore said this is what they use in their tanks. They sold Rid Ick, but didn't like it as much.

Can I put the Prazi in the tank at the same time?

I have no idea, but I would not add both meds, in case it toxes them out.

I would add the salt and prazi. I cured a worse case of ich than 2 spots with a 0.3% salt solution in less than 3 days :D

Good luck

Jessica

Guest PeachesCat

Salt NEVER worked for me.... Didn't work for Oscar and I have been salting Rooty for a week, and he has gotten worse. I got this Ich med, not only because the store recommended it, but also because the first ingrediant was salt... It had others, so I think it is salt with a kick and wouldn't be as harsh as a Rid Ich.

peaches,

what concentration have you been keeping your tank at to treat for ich? also did you heat your tank up to 78 degrees? if not, then you should. it will speed up the life cycle if ich. wich will allow the unpermeable, by salt, ich eggs to quickly hatch. then the salt can do its thing. otherwise the eggs can lie dormant for quite some time!

dont try to mix the ich med and the prazi until you get a positive answer as to whether they are compatible. the victoria green and acriflavin (both toxic) may cause some sort of adverse reaction in rooty, if you were to mix them.

sometimes you can run across salt resistant strains of ich because most fish stores keep salt in their goldie tanks. however, i believe that with a little dilligence, youll be able to get rid of the ich with just salt and a heater! plus, theres nothing keeping you from administering a salt dip or two during the treatments of salt and prazi! this WILL kill any ich (and flukes) that is present on him during a dip.

post back soon! :unsure:

Edited by toothless

Guest PeachesCat

I put the treatment from the petstore in the tank last night. Rooty's ich is worse this morning. I am hoping we are at the "has to get worse" before it gets better stage. He is also twitching a lot which I am hoping is the Flukes.

According to the medicine, I have to do a water change today (within 24 hours) and add more treatment if necessary, which it is.

The medication bottle said that I shouldn't raise the tank water....