fancies to give away, Edinburgh

cathface

as you guys know, I've been thinking about giving up my wee goldies because I'm a bit too stressed at the mo to give them the proper care they deserve. plus I don't think I'm enjoying taking care of them anymore - I mean, I still love feeding them but the water changes are becoming a chore. I'm starting to get back problems (at 22!) from lifting so many buckets. :( so I've made the awfully difficult decision of letting them go, but obviously the first place I want to advertise my fish would be here; I trust the people on here, and I know if you're on Koko's, you'll be taking good care of them! yeah so in case you don't know already, the details:

Osama bin Laden: calico fantail, female, approx 3 inches (imperfect caudals, doesn't impede movement)

Engelbert Humperdink: red and white ryukin, male, approx 3½ inches (used to be tri-colour but the black faded out)

Pep Guardiola: chocolate oranda, male, approx 2½ inches

you are welcome to change their names if you wish - I know my choices aren't particularly conventional...

I live in central Edinburgh, but have no transport of my own, so you will need to collect. although I can meet you somewhere like Dobbies garden centre or something. I will consider shipping (UK only) but I'd prefer not to. in case of shipping, you only have to cover postage costs.

if necessary, you can have mature filter media too - I have sponges in the Rena XP2 that you can take (I want to keep the bio media just in case, sorry).

I would love if one of you guys took them, so I could get updates on them! :) if no luck, I might try other fish forums I'm on - at least I know they'd actually be going to someone who cares about fish, right?

pictures:

SAM_9249.jpg

SAM_9252.jpg

SAM_9253.jpg

ps. they recently went through a flukes treatment and have never shown signs of other illnesses, so should be disease-free, but of course, as any responsible fish keeper would, I do recommend quarantining just in case.

yeah it was really tough to press the 'Post' button, but I think this would be for the best. better than my neglecting them in an algae-covered tank. oh, I forgot to mention, I am okay with separating them if you are only able/wanting to take one/two. I am also sure they would be okay for ponds as spring is here and it'll be warming up, bearing in mind they've never wintered outside before so you may need to bring them indoors next winter.

hey...if waterchanges are becoming a chore... why dont you INVEST and i do mean INVEST in a python quick water change system?? i mean.. i would like to see you keep your fish.. and the water changes will be soooo much easier!! TRUST ME... and maybe if you just change your water change system you will also fall inlove with the maintenance bc i am sure you will miss your fish and vice versa.. ;) give it a try!!! you can thank me later!! :hug

we don't have pythons here :( I did ask my cousin if she could bring one over from the US and I've bugged her on more than two occasions about remembering to send one over when her mum comes to visit, but I've not received any replies. I mean I understand she's busy, being an accountant and all, but it means I don't know if I can count on definitely getting one. :/

I wish I could take one.

I second (or third or fourth) the water changer. That thing made the maintenance so much easier. I wouldn't keep fish without one ever again, other than a small tank.

Edited by ShawneeRiver

Oh sorry. But regarding python there is one sold in Europe. It is called "in and out" from JBL. :) I use it to empty , and refill the tank with a simple garden hose plugged to the tap. All the little accessory pieces to attach it you can find at home/ garden stores usually in the plumbing section.

Oh Cath, I'm so sorry to hear that. Yeah, if you aren't enjoying them anymore and they ae becoming a chore then I guess it's for the best. I'm sure you'll find good home/s for them.

I wish I could help but although I'm on the lookout (gumtree!!) for a new tank, it'd be for trops (90L/20G max) since I don't have the space for another Goldie sized tank :(

I too struggle with buckets but only to refill. For emptying I rely on gravity and have a hose from the tank to the shower base and the water slowly drains itself :)

I seriously considered ordering a python from America but wasnt sure it'd fit my kitchen tap :/

Oh sorry. But regarding python there is one sold in Europe. It is called "in and out" from JBL. :) I use it to empty , and refill the tank with a simple garden hose plugged to the tap. All the little accessory pieces to attach it you can find at home/ garden stores usually in the plumbing section.

That is what I was talking about when I saw your other post and mentioned trying to find an easier way to do water changes. I myself have no python of anything of the likes at all, and I have two 55, a 20, a 25, a 10 and a 5 gallon tank to take care of. If I'd have to haul buckets, I'd be dead by now, because I have had a bad back since I was 18, because I grew too fast and too tall.

I made my own water changer out of a garden hose and a gravel vacuum. I have "filed down" the end of the gravel vac so I can firmly stick it into the garden hose. That way I have a 55 feet long gravel vacuum :rofl

The end just goes out the back door, or into the shower. It takes a bit to drain the tanks, because the suction of a python is much stronger, but I personally prefer it this way because I hate wasting water.

And to refill, I just hook the other end of the garden hose up to my bathroom tap (I went to the hardware store and had them find the right adapter for my sink, so I could attach the hose to it), pull the gravel vacuum back out, use a cheap 50 cent clamp from the hardware store to secure the garden hose in my tank, and refill. :)

I don't know guys, even with a water changer, I'm worried I might end up resenting having to do water changes twice a week when I've got 3500 word essays to write and also a dissertation to sort out. :( I really don't want to end up not enjoying fishkeeping, since it would just be another hobby forever lost - I used to really enjoy drawing, painting etc, but once I took it for GCSE and A Level (I'm not sure what the equivalent in the US might be, but like just before university, you can choose about 4 subjects you like to focus on), the pressure etc just made me resent it. I very rarely draw anymore, which I think is a shame, because I really did used to like it. stuck my own drawings all over my walls at home and stuff lol.

also, I've received a reply on Gumtree from someone with a 44g, who only has one fantail in it at the moment. I'm thinking they'd enjoy the extra space, plus they get to stick together. I'm tempted to take his offer, since the other two I got were from someone with a fully-stocked 30g, and someone with an overstocked 4 footer...

I had my fish through uni - and it was hard. But tbh (and I might get shouted at for this) as long as your stocking is right and your goldfish are relatively small, you can get away with missing a water change or even two when you've got deadlines coming up, mine got a 7-10 day water change most of the time - but when I was really busy the fish took a back seat, and were fine, I threw a load of live plants in there and they kept the nitrates down which gave me a bit more breathing room, especially as water changes had to be planned 1-2 days in advance to stabilise the pH first (Manchester water is not goldfish friendly). Just a thought. At the end of the day your studies have to come first. They're good looking fish :) I'd consider pinching them if I didn't just fill up my last space with Tango :(

That's a shame, I'd have your ryukin in a flash if you were nearer.

I know what you mean about water changes, I'm considering getting a powerhead and some tubing to pump water in/out the tanks, carrying 20litre buckets up and down stairs is not fun!

good news, the guy I've decided to rehome my fish to is going to join this forum and I can get updates on their wellbeing! :D

the original guy never showed up... but now I have another home waiting for them - 7ft deep x 8ft wide pond! it currently only houses 8 goldfish. I think they will love that. :)