Sign in to follow this  
Guest susong

How Do You Diagnose Constipation?

Guest susong

:huh:

Call me silly...

How do you diagnose constipation????

I am reasonably certain that Clarence, my fancy had constipation, but after reading the Message Board, I'm not so certain.

Someone said that trailing poop was an indicator...wel....my guys have ALWAYS had that!

Clarence is very sluggish these days...(see earlier post), and I am reasonably certain that he suffers from this afflicition.

Just want to be sure.

Thanks everybody!

Hugs

Susong

Bloating, floatiness, and really thick, long poop are signs of constipation. Long thin poop is probably not constipation ;)

Feed a few peas if you suspect constipation. Even if it's not, eating the pea is good for them :D

Jessica

Constipation or swim ladder problem.. do they have a link or not.. Do they lead to each other or not.. Just dun care.. Not important.. most importantly, such problem is best avoided.. Once ur fish is affected with such problem, it is very likely they will be soft lived.. for such problem will keep coming back...

To prevent, feed pea once every week and fast the next following day.. If you suspect ur fishes already been affected, feed pea consecuticely for two day and fast on the third day.. It should clear everything and there after, feed them light.. and presoak pellets or flake or any dry food..

U should also introduce different diet to your fishes.. Cook or prepare food for them..

Diced fruits like apple, orange, grape.. Vegetable like spinach, cabbage, lettuce (use the leaf!!).. Brocolli (exclude stem).. or grind some oat or wheat, mix with cooked rice to make into bite size ball (starch supplement for lion head), or serve diced cooked shrimp.. and a lot more...

Most importantly, when you prepare food, NEVER use vinegar, salt or pepper.. Goldfish have taste bud like us, but they dun need seasoning or the seasoning you adding end up seasoning your goldfish and you can cook your fish after that..

Some people goes to the extend of adding dairy product such as cheese into home made pellet.. This is to provide calcium but do bear in mind as this shld be done in very small dose as there is no reference to such application whether is cheese toxic to fishes, but it definitely cloud the water... Feed this ingredient only when you are about to change water..

Guest susong

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!!

I have learned so much since coming here...and I feel really badly for my guys, because I now realize that their diet was ALL wrong.

Jeepers... :cry1

But, I am learning all that I can. I'm fasting them for a day, and then starting tomorrow, they're on peas for a couple of days.

Then I will introduce variety into their diet, I won't rely soley on the flakes.

I've had these guys, (Nibbles & Clarence) for almost six months now...and I have totally fallen head over heels in love with them.

I also have a tropical tank...just a ten gallon, & I just asumed that my goldie tank would be roughly the same.

Nu-uh!! These guys have character, and personality! I am so amazed, and oh, soooo in love with them! :wub:

Thanks again.

Susong