Male blue oranda and female red oranda!

Mods/Helpers, please feel free to move this if it is in the wrong spot! I remember we used to do a lot of general goldfish intros and discussions here, but with all the new boards/topics I have a feeling there might be a new home for these kind of posts! :)

Some of you know I’ve recently been setting up and cycling a 102L/27Gal tank. Currently it is a mess of plants just thrown in and a bit of ceramic (inert/safe) fine gravel which is starting to just cycle. I have in mind setting it up in what seems to be a traditional goldfish style tank, black substrate with large white rocks and green plants growing in/around those rocks as a centrepiece. Something like this I guess in the end.

So today I am getting driven around by my partner looking for, of all things, rocks for this tank. While at the various stores we are, of course, looking at the fish. The first store had some nice, but very young and slightly weedy looking panda moors, along with two nicer older black moors (one of which seemed to have serious SBD, which put me off of them right away!) The second store though, hooooh boy. It’s just a chain store, but in the past I have gotten some very nice stock from one of their stores, and their fish are also usually pretty well (not perfectly, but a sight better then most!) taken care of. So, what do I see peeking at me from the very top tank? A 2 inch long BLUE ORANDA. Something that despite my general lack of fondness for most orandas (sorry guys, but those wens used to creep me out something massive, it’s only recently that I have come to really like them!) has always been on my wish list. Previously I did have a small, baby blue (who was kind of dumped on me as a ‘gift’) who perished in the main pond due to a mishap with a rock getting pushed in, him trapped and us not noticing until it was too late, but that has been my extent of oranda keeping. Ever since I have wanted another blue oranda, especially an older one with a good chance at keeping his colours!

So, as we pull a ladder over to see this tank properly (TALL tanks, and I am quite tall and even I needed the ladder!) and climb up, a few other little faces come into view. One nice red ryukin, a very nice lemon ranchu who seemed to totally lack a wen (but adorable none the less! He made me giggle, as he seemed so naked without a wen!) along with some very tiny chu fry, two nice looking red orandas, and another nice calico one with a longer body. All of these orandas were traditional style fish and around 2 inches long. After standing on the ladder and seeing how active the blue one was (and friendly! He was all up over the glass begging at us!), I had already made up my mind that he was to be coming home with me right then! Two of the other orandas also striked my fancy, one was the calico with the longer body type (too long for my liking, but a beauty non the less!) and the other one of the reds who had the biggest wen! She was slightly beaten up from shipping, the top of her dorsal looks like it has been chewed off and she seemed to be getting bullied by the other red and the ryukin. So I have a look at the other tanks while waiting for some staff, which housed some passable, but not amazing teles, some baby chus (some of which certainly had potential to grow into beauties!) and an assortment of other fish, some of who were very nice (in particular some nice Bristol shubunkins, something that is a rarity here!) to pass the time.

So the fish guy comes up, and I ask him to bag me up the blue oranda while talking to the boyfriend about whether we should pick another as I could QT them altogether rather than later having to fetch the QT tank from the parents (200km away) should I want to add to the tank later. Another look at the tank and instantly I decided on another oranda, as there were still so many cute little faces begging at the glass! I got caught up picking between the red I liked and the calico. The red only had a single anal fin (And I’m a stickler for proper double fins in my fancies!), while the calico had a slightly too long body, even for a traditional style oranda. If I had an extra 10gal in this tank, BOTH would have come home with me! But in the end the ryukin came over and both the cali and him started to bully my favourite red, actually getting a chunk off her already damaged dorsal, and seeing red’s little chubby face begging against the glass won out over the mean calico, and she was plonked in the bag with our blue. It was a bit of an “Alright, get in the bag, you will do” moment :P

Now, I know in the past I’ve never been an oranda fan, but I have always had a soft spot for the slightly longer bodied orandas with the long flowing heavily forked fin (as in the traditional ‘Chinese style’ oranda rather than the shorter, rounder, short but fuller type finned that are prized now with the more Japanese bred aesthetics) and these two both fit my liking. The red could possibly have longer fins an only has a single anal fin, and the blue a slightly shorter body, but for only $30 each I am not complaining! I know of a supplier in the city over with similar quality fish selling for much more (though his are special imports, so it is understandable!) then what I spent on these guys.

So we get home, acclimatise them (Which consisted of equalising temp then just scooping them out and dumping them into the tank, I did not want water from that system in my tank as it is a system where all the tanks are connected to the one filter/share the same water, and a few fish in other tanks looked a bit off, so yuck!). I did not use the three bucket method, not being just arrived shipped fish I did not want to, but have salted to .1 and prazied. In addition I am using SeaChem’s stabilise every 12 hours along with 50% 48 hour WCs in lieu of actually having my tank cycled until I can acquire some cycled media from my pond or fighter barracks (once again, 200km away) this weekend. I suspect the red one has some flukes as she is breathing rapidly, and the blue one seems to have an ich spot on his fin, so will be salting for that. Since they have been in the same tank it’s going to be easier to just treat them together for everything, as if one is showing symptoms it is likely the other was exposed. Photos incoming in the next post!

Ooh, I can't wait to see your new fish, and it was great reading your post. As you may or may not know, I'm a huge fan of orandas (and other wen-fish), so it's always great to see other orandas.

Good luck with QT'ing, and looking forward to the pics.

We have a Goldfish photos sub-forum. Shall I move this thread there?

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/14-goldfish-photos/

Congratulations! I am looking forward to seeing photos! I guess you HAD to get the red one, single anal or not :D I can only imagine her little chubby face smushed against the glass when they bothered her. Awww!

But that is one thing I always did too when buying a fish, watching to see the behavior. I do not want ot add a bully to my tanks.

I also know how you feel about the wen, orandas grossed me out originally :D

Last but not least, good to see I'm not the only person who beings every other paragraph with "So" :rofl

If you like Alex, that might be a more suitable forum :)

Oh wow, that post was huge.

Here’s the abbreviated version “I BOUGHT TWO ORANDAS.”

And guys, I’d LOVE to hear your oranda stories. I’m a bit nervous trying these guys!

Anyway, so instead of calling them by “Red and Blue” (Admittedly it would have been cool, if a bit nerdy, as they are pokemon trainer names from the games) I decided on Mischa, a name I have always wanted to call a pet, for the red one, who I highly suspect is a female as she seems to be carrying eggs. Blue, apparently also needed a Russian style name because of this and ended up with Richter, which I admit suits him, he’s a bit of a destroyer (like an earthquake, Richter scale, get it?) but it’s also the name of a Russian pianist I enjoy. He also seems to have some breeding stars, so I may have a male/female pair, which would be rather nice. I am glad I chose these two, as they seem to get along very well! Mischa is currently bottom sitting a little bit every now and then, though she has perked up with the prazi, which I am chalking down to stress from being bullied and what seems to be some flukes. Richter on the other hand will not sit still, though he checks in on Mischa with every lap of the tank he does! When mischa is up and about they tend to both just do their own thing, with the occasional swim around together. They are so beautiful to watch!

Have noticed Mischa has some ammonia burns showing on her fins, but nothing major. She also looks very crumpled though in the fins, like she’s taken a bit of a beating in shipping/from the ryukin and tankmates and some rays seem weak. When she swims, you can see that she will heal up beautifully, but in the photos she looks rather crumpled up! I am already quite fond of her, I can see her becoming one of my favourite fish. She has a very similar personality that Luna sis and that my favourite shubinkins do.

And please excuse my tank! It’s full of prazi dust, the plants were just thrown in to get them growing, the bubbler is half sticking out and I have not even aquascaped it yet! I intended to cycle it an aquascape it and then get fish, but now it’s fish, cycle, scape! And all these photos are terrible sorry, I need to do a video or something once the tank is actually set up, Richter is not that skinny, and Mischa just looks so much nicer despite being a bit beaten up then these show!

I plan to have the tank set up in a similar style to this

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/ikuzo/Planted%20Goldfish/PlantedGoldfish26.jpg

But with the rocks centralised and the plants growing in and around the rocks.

So, here they are!

Mischa!

XgzM2.png

Mischa and Richter

p8zZF.png

Richter

uBKav.png

And Richter's very long tail!

gH7Y2.png

Oh, my. They are gorgeous, and I can definitely see why you picked them. :Congrats:

The finnage on Richter is splendid, and Mischa is going to be one chunky goldfish not too far in the future! :)

Orandas remain my favorite breed, and the majority of mine pose no problems, and do not require special care. There are a couple of them who have developed propensity to being floaty when fed commercial foods of any kind. I suspect that it's the filler ingredients in this case, since homemade gel food completely took care of the problem.

Edited by dnalex

Thanks for the heads up Alex, I do hope they are nice and easy to care for!

I do see myself upgrading this tank over the next few years, as I would like to give them 20 gal each as they grow up. They seem like they are going to be big fish (Mischa in particular) Right now though they have plenty of room to move :)

They are just over a year old, locally bred and raised in a large pond (when I was told only a year my eyes kind of burst, they are larger then any of my fry ever were at that stage!) which is why they still look a little weedy/young. I hope Richter fills out more as he grows, and that Mischa’s fins heal up nicely. Although they are certainly not show quality, they show potential to mature into nice traditional style fish with low held, long flowing tails. Like these beauties!

oranda-12.jpg

p13%20Red%20oranda%20with%20white%20jade%20stamp.jpg

Instead of the more modern/Japanese influenced oranda

2hdh.jpg

Although, I doubt they will ever be that nice. I think Richter will always be a little skinny, and Mischa's fins will probably never get that real flowing thing going on as she has an under curve/ slight flip under on the bottom an they are slightly short. Either way, I think I have a nice little pair happening. I may even fix up the tank tomorrow (even if I just bury that darn bubbler!) and shoot a video so I don't represent them badly with my crummy photos! :)

Oh, last one, I swear, but I thought you'd get a kick out of Mischa's chubby cheeks!

OxHs8.jpg

The middle one shows it best!

Edit- Bottom one shows how crumpled her fins are her top fin is all chomped down too ): might bring out the melafix after the prazi and salt QT if it ends up needing a helping hand to grow back nice and strong.

Edited by Amber

Hi Amber! Nice to see you around here again! Love your new orandas. I, too, have never been a huge oranda fan, but about two years ago I got a red cap that just knocked my socks off, and changed my mind about them altogether. Everyone says orandas are so puppylike, and it was true for mine, even more so than the ranchus.

A blue oranda is on my wish-list-for-someday too. Richter's coloration is stunning.

Thanks guys! Did I mention I only paid $30 each for them? That was the real deal sealer! I’m a huge fan or traditional style orandas, and I was quite sad to hear Bristol Club changed their standard from the traditional long forked tail to the more modern flat edged/no fork type.

Scrappin, I used to be on here a lot, as a young goldfish keeper. I used to drive everyone up the wall with silly questions. I had a baaaad habit of applying koi care (my previous 'area') to goldfish and it landed me in hot water a few times with my tank and pond! :P

Koko, there was a chocolate oranda in the tank a few over, made me think of you!

Hey Ranchu! And thanks, I got lucky, I’ve never seen one for sale before. He’s an absolute doll, very friendly and ‘in your face’ all the time. He also have huge chubby cheeks (not as chubby as Mischa though) so I am eager to see how he grows! No yellowish spots on his body either, though he does have one in his wen.

Thanks Shellbell and Hzley too! They are very handsome! :) Will be great to see how they grow! I almost wish I had a pond so I could give them the room to grow into huge Bruce style orandas! :krazy:

Hoooh boy, this just in, male Richter and female Mischa is confirmed. I was watching them just now with Richter chasing Mischa (but not the full on goldie chase, just nudging her around a little) and it got me wondering if they were trying to breed. Seemed waaay to gentle for goldfish spawning! But 10 mins later, eggs were EVERYWHERE. Not going to try to save any this time, I don’t have the time or a spare set up for fry at the moment, but it’s nice to know if I ever want to, these two would make a good pair. WC time right now!

On another good note, Mischa seems much happier today, she is breathing easier (prazi must be going to town on those flukes) and is hardly bottom sitting. Gave then a feed of some el-cheapo goldie crumbles today, but will have to drop by the LFS and get some proper food or start making gel food again today. Also need to go get a new test kit as a few vials in my drop kit seems to have expired or been contaminated as I am not getting any identifiable readings, which is making me nervous as my tank is nowhere near cycled and I need to keep tabs on it daily.

All my plants have gone flying/been uprooted too! :krazy:

• Admin
Koko, there was a chocolate oranda in the tank a few over, made me think of you!

Awe you should have gotten one :teehee

A gentle Goldfish boy! How sweet :) thats a good thing though. They can get pretty aggressive some times :(

Richters already got himself a nickname, Ricochet, because he absolutely FLIES around the tank and crashes into/ricochets off of everything!

And hoooh boy, have my mother coming to visit tomorrow. She does not know I have set up a tank again. I think she may get mad. :krazy::teehee

gorgeous fish!! Congrats! :D

If they end up half as gorgeous as your two I will be happy! :)

Awe you should have gotten one :teehee

A gentle Goldfish boy! How sweet :) thats a good thing though. They can get pretty aggressive some times :(

If I had the room that calico would have come home, followed by the choc and the weird little lemony ranchu. ;) Their were so many nice fish! It was strange!

I'm glad he is not agressive. He actually just seemed quite lazy about the whole thing! But They are both so laid back, Mischa's plonked herself down on top or Richter to sleep tonight, and he's fine with it.

Beautiful, I love the blue. I'm on the hunt for a nice oranda since I lost my chocolate in January... Unfortunately my LFS just got in some stunning blue based calico orandas on the weekend... They weren't for sale yet, new arrivals. Good thing too!

• 3 months later...