Stupid Hornwort Dx

SynthHermit

When I got my new goldies Friday night, I bought a handful of hornwort as well, as the store had it in all the goldfish tanks, and they seemed to enjoy swimming around in it.

So, I got home and plopped it into the tank after acclimating and whatnot. The nitemare began the next morning.

I checked on the newbies when I got up, and what do I find? Little needles all over the tank. I thought it could have been because of the salt I added (1tsp/gallon, to help with their ripped up fins),so when I did a large water change on the top tank later that day,which removed a majority of the salt from that one, I transferred the hornwort,hoping it would stop shedding.

Nope. No luck. Now all I've got is needles everywhere about ready to clog up the filter intakes on both tanks (no matter how much I scoop out, more always show up Dx), and green twigs of stems.

Any idea why it did this? Since the stems are still green, I'm assuming that it didn't die.

The stem of pennywort I threw in the top tank a week or so before the hornwort seems to be doing fine,although it's a bit brown still.

I think if you want to keep it for nitrate-eating purposes, get a small breeder net and keep the plant in there. That way the needles will stay inside the net, the filter won't get clogged, and you still have a fantastic nitrate buster in the tank :)

• 2 weeks later...

Plantes will drop there leaves when but in new tank or shipped. The stress couse it. When I had my crypii shipped to me they had took off all the leaves becouse they would have drop anyways.

• 8 months later...

I have had it in some tanks no problem and others it shed and eventually died. To me it seemed like it prefers stiller waters, it never did well in tanks with big filtration and watercurrent, since you must be running decent strength filters for the GF maybe thats a reason?

Hey guys,

In the future could you try not to bring up such an old thread unless it's really important. If you wish to discuss something in a thread older than 3-4 months, it's best to start a new one.

Anyway, some really good information has been put forward; composting hornwort is a brilliant idea.

Thank you.