Ick! Is it ich?

I should keep him in the main tank, right? The others have been exposed, I assume.

Yup. Everyone needs to be treated. Now is a good time to get the Morton's Canning & Pickling salt :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I will have to start it tomorrow. I'll have to dig out the heaters too.

I should keep him in the main tank, right? The others have been exposed, I assume.

Yup. Everyone needs to be treated. Now is a good time to get the Morton's Canning & Pickling salt :)

And I know what aisle to look in!! :carrot:

LOL. I have a 100 pounds of it stashed in my house. I will not need to buy salt for quite some time :tomuch:

LOL,you and me both,Alex-only mine is solar salt. I went through 100lbs of salt during that last little encounter!!! Don't worry Shawn,mine was very advanced :krazy:

I think it will be good to have a few more opinions as well, but to me this, it doesn't quite look like ich. Ich is usually more raised and almost a little fuzzier and bigger in appearance. It's entirely possible that this is the earlier stages of the cysts, but I'm inclined to think differently. I think these are almost more like fin flukes, followed by secondary bacterial infections.

Here are some pics of ich, for comparison

ich.jpg

ich_goldfish.jpg

ich.gif

Do you see what I mean about the spot being grainier with ich?

In any case, with either flukes or ich, the beginning of the treatment at this stage is largely the same, which is to bring the salinity to 0.3% by increments of 0.1% every 12 hours. There is no point in QTing, since you will need to treat everyone. Plants can either stay in for the duration of treatment, or it can go into a plants only container for about a month.

Here's where we will be able to differentiate if it's ich or not in the next few days, despite the lack of a scope. If this is truly ich, even if you start the salting process tonight, it will get much worse, and can possibly spread onto other fish. If this is the case, then we just continue with 0.3% for the rest of the time.

If, however, the spots either don't get larger or worse, but actually either stay the same or improve, then I would make the case that it's fin flukes. This will then necessitate two rounds of double dose treatment of Prazipro + 0.1% salt. The plants will need to come back in, if they ever left, so they can be treated in this situation.

I do want to say though that the ick on my guys looked pretty much exactly like Shawn's. In my case, the cysts were even smaller and wouldn't even properly show up in photos. My goldfish also only had them on the fins. The neons were the only ones that also had some on the body.

• Supporter

alarm bells for salt and temp to 80F as soon as you can.. just keep testing that ammonia daily shawn.. it will send your params all over the place and possibly lose your cycle.. you have high ammonia coming from the tap right?

Sorry for the delay, everyone. Yes, everything looks the same.

Helen, our tap water is good, so no worries about that.

Alex, I picked up Goldeen, and the specs do look grainy from the back side of the tail.

Shelly, the dark specs are algae spots that I have been too lazy to scrub. :blush:

Edited by ShawneeRiver

We've been at 80 degrees for about a day and a half and at .3 percent salt for a day. Goldeen's tail looks terrible. It's ragged and full of splits and has a hole. The specs on his tail look a bit worse, but not dramaticly worse. He seems more active though. The rest of the fish still look OK.

I can try, but I warn you that I didn't clean the front during my last WC.

Haha. It's for discussion purposes, not showcasing, so I think you'll be alright :)

having had some ich problems from with my fish about a year ago.. i can tell you this definitely looks like ich to me... like alex said.. treating with 0.3% salt... but keep at it even after the spots are gone ...although your fish may look like they are getting better... usually ich's lifecycle is 3 to 5 days.. but there will be no harm done to do a full week or 2 of treatment due to ich sometimes coming in "waves" as when it seems the ich is gone and no more spots.. it can come back and be worse then the last "wave"... be sure during this time to keep your water changes in check for high water quality.. and gravel vacuums are also highly recommended to pick up any cysts that have fallen off...

Many of the specs on the acrylic, not the fish. Goldeen has a spec on his dorsal and two in his bottom fins. Maybe Gwen has a couple of spec on the end of her tail at the bottom. It's more like a fuzzy spot, and she has slight splitting there. But her spots look like those random spots that fish sometimes get on their fins that drag on the bottom. I could not get a picture of Gwen the speed queen.

These are all Goldeen's tail. Spotting looks about the same, but he has raggedy edges, splits and a hole.

6966831904_7a9c0ea858_c.jpg

6966832300_551a52abfa_c.jpg

6966832576_59c444d8fd_c.jpg

7112909547_a0e555abc1_c.jpg

Poor things :(

Keep up with the salt and heat. If you can, do extra WCs, but make sure you don't use the same equipments, or if you do, disinfect after each use.

I wish them rapid healing. :)

Aw,and he's such a handsome guy too :wub: That's what happened here on tails too-including the red streaking :o .I'm so glad you caught it when you did! It really helped me to be forewarned that it would get worse before it got better also ;)

I do think that you will benefit from the Prazi. The spots, along with rips and tears, all point to fin flukes, which are a pain to treat. You will want to double dose on the Prazi, and perhaps do a salt dip before treating actually.

I would still leave the salt in at 0.3% for a full week before starting the Prazi.

Today, his tail looks about the same, but the spots are more red than white. He also has a mass of white on his head. It looks like white sand fell on his head. I caught him, and rubbed it gently, and some came off.

Edited by ShawneeRiver