Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoCal

Too many goldfish in my bowl?

Guest SoCal

Hi everyone! I am very curious if the experts here think I have too many goldfish in my bowl. I shot a video and posted it at Youtube. Basically, I have two smallish (less than an 4 inches total) goldfish in a 2 gallon bowl with a few aquatic plants. Please feel free to take a look at the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFhy755hL64 Thank you very much for the input and advice!

Hello. Welcome to Koko's. :)

It is as you had surmised; two goldfish in a 2 gallon is 2 goldfish too many. Unless the bowl that you are talking about is a 20 gallon one, bowls are very unsuitable places for goldfish to be in, since they are way too small. :(

In general, each goldfish will need 10-20 gallons of water each, and that's only assuming that their water gets changed at least 50% weekly. As you can see in the bowl, they don't really any room to move, and keeping in mind that goldfish can grown to 12 inches long, there's just simply no way to accommodate them in the bowl.

Would you be interested in upgrading to a bigger tank, with power filtration? I recommend a 29gallon or a 40 gallon breeder. In the short run, a 20 gallon tank would work, or even a Sterilite plastic tub.

Edited by dnalex

spruce me up and gimme room.. that's what your fish will be telling you shortly. give them a 30 gallon home with nice filtration. this set up is SO wrong.

You did a great job decorating their bowl, i'm sure you'd be able to create a beautiful tank for them! :) The price of large tanks can be intimidating, but craigslists has some good deals on used tanks, it would be worth taking a look! A lot of people use Sterilite bins as temporary solutions when they have found out they are over stocked as well. It's great that you came here seaking advice for your goldies health and well being, Koko's will take good care of you!

Guest SoCal

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!

I can only repeat what has been said...imagine what they would look like in a planted tank where your plants can really grow and the fish can as well. I know you could create a fantastic tank setup. Feel free to ask for any advice or suggestions for shopping. I live in California as well and could suggest many great stores.

Your bowl is a beautiful set up... for a betta :)

Your goldfish are going to need much more room as stated above :)by the way, your goldfish are very cute too :)

I love your bowl, but that kind of setup should house a single colorful betta or some shrimp. Your fish are beautiful, but they need space!! I agree that you will be able to set up an amazing goldfish tank, but it should be 30 gallons and have 10x filtration. It would be amazing with you touch with plants. :)

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback!

SoCal, did you decide what you are going to do? Remember that your tank (or bin) is going to go through a cycle when you put them in. You can read up about cycling with fish here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Ugh, I really wish people would stop putting ANY fish in a tank smaller than 5 gallons. Even bettas need space, I don't know how "living in a rice paddy" became interpreted as "1/2 gallon bowl of stagnant water" I have mine in a 60 gallon tank and I've never seen a more vibrant, happy betta. He puts show bettas to shame.

Rant over :)

I agree..........fish are supposed to SWIM :goldfish: That takes s p a c e :goldfish:

Edited by kukana

I agree, I don't even think 2 gallons is enough for a betta. They need to retain a stable temperature, and such a small amount of water fluctuates easily. It's our fault they are in the tanks, so it's best to give them all the space we can since that is their home for their lives. The thing about the rice field interpretation is that they may be shallow, but they can span over kilometres, so a bowl really is no place for any animal.

Good luck and I hope you upgrade soon! Everyone has to learn, and a lot of people started realising after they got their fish, so don't feel like you are the only one :)

Getting a bigger tank is fun! Your goldfish would love a larger home! I started out really overstocked so your not alone.

Edited by aakane47

Hi friend! Hello and welcome to Kokos! How are your pretty little fishies doing? Your fishes look so cheerful and your bowl decoration is very beautiful! I'm sure you're gonna be a great fishkeeper. Have you bought your babies a tank yet? :)

Wishing you all the very best for your future and loads of fun in fishkeeping. We are always here to help you. :)

Guest Jessie

Dont you think that they will get a little stunted?