Sign in to follow this  
BriansMom

Flukes out of no where?

Can fish get flukes when no new fish are added? My fish are acting lazy, laying towards the bottom and doing a lot of "yawning". I added a new fish but that was like 2 months ago AND I had him in qt for a few weeks with prazi pro treatments.

I didnt know if this was worth a topic in D/D or if I should have put it somewhere else..... I dosed prazi yesterday to be safe.

It is certainly possible for fish to have an issue with flukes seemingly out of nowhere. This is because, even with prazi treatments, it is difficult to fully eradicate flukes from the fish. So, the prazi may get the numbers down to a manageable level, to the point where the immune system of the fish can keep them from becoming an issue, but in time it is possible for these low levels of flukes to take over (this may happen when a fish is stressed or sick) and then you could begin getting symptoms. I know that there are some people (I think primarily with ponds) who advocate yearly treatment of flukes because of this.

I think your course of action is a good one :) Make sure you salt the tank to .1% for the first couple rounds of treatment as well. And if you don't see any changes in behavior I think it is definitely a good idea to fill out the questions above etc. :) (and if you haven't checked your parameters yet make sure to check those out as well just to rule out water quality).

Edited by tithra

I was always under the impression that flukes like ich were always present in fish tanks that some sort of stress would bring about symptoms,I may be wrong though,in any case starting prazi and a few rounds of salt is good choice of action :)

flukes I understand potentially always being present, but ich always being present sounds like an aquatic myth to me (but perhaps someone can correct me on that). Because in order for ich to survive it would need to go through all the stages of it's little parasitic life right? So we would be able to see it on the fish if it were present right? :idont

flukes I understand potentially always being present, but ich always being present sounds like an aquatic myth to me (but perhaps someone can correct me on that). Because in order for ich to survive it would need to go through all the stages of it's little parasitic life right? So we would be able to see it on the fish if it were present right? :idont

Yes, I think you're right. From what I've read, ich can't go dormant for very long at all; it has to live on the fish and continue its life cycle at a pretty much constant rate. Whereas flukes can remain alive and present in a fish without really hurting it, and without multiplying, because individual flukes live a lot longer than ich, I think. I wish I could give you the specific articles.

How long should Thea keep dosing Prazi and salt in a case like this?

And is there any proven way, in a relatively closed system (not a pond), to treat enough to completely obliterate flukes (in a way safe to the fish, of course)?

Edited by adverbemonade

And is there any proven way, in a relatively closed system (not a pond), to treat enough to completely obliterate flukes (in a way safe to the fish, of course)?

I don't think you can really get rid of all the flukes, but as tithra said, there is such a thing as fish immunity to flukes (and to ich also). With both parasites, the best way to keep them out of your system is to treat when you first get your fish (2 weeks salt at 0.3% at least, 4-6 rounds Prazi). Then, close the system without adding any more fish.

The danger with flukes is anytime you add newbies to your system, the fish who have already been in the main tank are actually the ones at greater risk. The new fish you are adding are already getting the benefit of your QT treatment, while the older fish are being stressed out by the addition of new fish into their territory. This sometimes could be enough to allow the flukes to break through and establish a clinical infection.