Sign in to follow this  
finsNfur

Adding salt regularly to established aquariums?

I saw someone post on another forum that they added salt to their tank, and their black moors are acting oddly, they described it as "molting". I would like to give this person the best possible advice, they apparently always add salt to their 29 gallon tank. At least one of the moors they got a week ago. They haven't been doing regular water changes,and the fish have ick and fin rot, they are also treating with malachite green. Their tank is a few years old, with 50% water changes every "3 weeks or so". Even worse, they have a platy in the tank. My first thought was that they didn't need to add salt to a tank regularly anyway----I did say they needed to increase their frequency of water changes, what should I suggest about salt, how much, and what kind? I am just not a lover of adding salt routinely, do some people do this in goldfish tanks? I always thought it was for treating ich, but I am thinking they oversalted, and possibly added the wrong kind of salt.

Thank you, this will be a learning experience for me regarding salt, too. :)

Edited by finsNfur

We do treat ich with salt. The person adding the salt to the tank with every water change makes the ich salt resistant. You need to figure out what the concentration of salt is in the tank. For ich, they need to get to .03%. Which is 1 teaspoon per gallon every 12 hours 3x.

First thing they should do is as close to 100% water change as possible to remove the meds and salt. 2 80% water changes would be best. Then add back the salt to .01%. They also should get a heater to get the temp to 78-80%.

Can you direct him or her to the forum?

Eta: they need pure salt. Which will be morton's canning and pickling salt or API aquarium salt.

Edited by ashlee18

I think it's a very bad idea to have salt in a goldfish tank chronically, for these reasons:

1. Salt is itself a caustic substance. Long term exposure to salt can lead to a phenomenon called salt creep, where you begin to get fin fraying, and flashing and darting as the fish tries to get away from the irritant, which is salt.

2. Goldfish are freshwater fish. They can tolerate a bit of salt for quite a while, but this is not natural.

3. We use salt to treat many things, including ich, as you mentioned. Prolonged exposure to salt means that you are possibly conditioning the pathogens also to the salt, rendering this very safe treatment modality useless.

I would definitely direct them here if you can. It sounds like there are a lot of issues going on :( The 'molting' sounds like it could be due to a Ph drop.

I sent them a PM with the link to this thread. She did mention (and I think it's a she :) ) that her tank's PH is 7.2. Hopefully she'll join here, or at least follow your helpful advice. More details from her would definitely help in helping the moors. Thank you!!

I sent them a PM with the link to this thread. She did mention (and I think it's a she ) that her tank's PH is 7.2. Hopefully she'll join here, or at least follow your helpful advice. More details from her would definitely help in helping the moors. Thank you!!

Thank you for catching that, and trying to help her :)

I have heard of platys being benefitted by constant salt. But of course they shouldn't be kept with goldfish.

I sent them a PM with the link to this thread. She did mention (and I think it's a she :) ) that her tank's PH is 7.2. Hopefully she'll join here, or at least follow your helpful advice. More details from her would definitely help in helping the moors. Thank you!!

Hopefully this person will come here and see the light of proper goldfish care, so thanks for telling her! :)

it can also cause thickened slime coat which can lead to suffocation.

I have heard that, too. The salt over-stimulates slime production.

No one but myself commented on her thread on that other forum, which doesn't have many goldfish owners. I sent her the link to this thread by PM, and asked about the salt dosage etc. and she replied there on the thread but without giving further details. She said she had been doing the same thing in her tank for two years, so believed it be a skin/fungus issue from the new moors or the water where she moved to, (she recently moved) so it was nothing she was doing wrong. She further said for no one to reply unless they knew what was causing the moors to have their "skin peeling". Hopefully she found your advice helpful. I also think it will be informative for anyone researching adding salt to goldfish tanks, it's not a topic I often see discussed.

Edited by finsNfur

I have heard that, too. The salt over-stimulates slime production.

No one but myself commented on her thread on that other forum, which doesn't have many goldfish owners. I sent her the link to this thread by PM, and asked about the salt dosage etc. and she replied there on the thread but without giving further details. She said she had been doing the same thing in her tank for two years, so believed it be a skin/fungus issue from the new moors or the water where she moved to, (she recently moved) so it was nothing she was doing wrong. She further said for no one to reply unless they knew what was causing the moors to have their "skin peeling". Hopefully she found your advice helpful. I also think it will be informative for anyone researching adding salt to goldfish tanks, it's not a topic I often see discussed.

I find this person's logic impecabbly...disturbing.