Sign in to follow this  
goldone

Common Goldfish female big belly related to Spring or something else?

I'll be happy to. There are three active ingredients that was used by Jungle Laboratories, and we should continue that. They are: metronidazole, praziquantel, and levamisole. I don't think it will be possible to obtain levamisole, but an even better substitute is fenbendazole, which is the active ingredient of Safe-Guard, the dog/cat de-wormer found in pet stores. Your LFS may have metronidazole and prazi for sale, as well. If not, you can order them online. You want prazi to be powder or tablet, and not liquid.

Once you have the ingredients, we will go to the next step :)

What do you mean she feels worse? Could you upload a video?

Also, the de-worming I indicated is to tell internal worms, and Prazipro/Melafix in the water won't accomplish that :(

well I anesthetized her with clove oil and felt around there, it felt surprisingly empty where her behind is, even tho it looks swollen. I also felt what seemed almost like "broken glass" around there, maybe I gave her kidney stones from feeding too much peas :-(

I don't think she has worms or anything.

Good luck! :)

well I had to euthanize her with clove oil :-(

I did a amateurish necropsy and made an unholy mess. But, the only things I saw unusual were, her intestines seemed bloated but maybe that was because I waited a couple hours after she was gone. There was also a black tarry substance from around her organs. any ideas?

What I think she had was some kind of tumor or cancer.

i am sorry you had to euth your fish. it's really sad to lose a pet like that. if you are able to turn a negative into a positive i recommend the following.

since you did an autopsy, do you have a microscope? if not, can you keep samples of her poop, blood, tract etc, anything that can be microscoped? it could be internal parasites or even bacteria. you won't know unless you can microscope the samples. either one can be transmitted to your other fish. i had a community of 9 giant ryukins. one by one they fell ill. they unfortunately kept relapsing during conventional medication until i purchased a microscope and began scoping samples from my autopsied fish as well as scrapes and poop from my live fish.

i did not find bacteria, but i found internal parasites. i have been treating with the home made JungleAP that Alex recommended you make. down to 3 giants now, but the three that i have are becomming heathier. not that they showed signs of illness before, but the amount of parasite eggs in their poop as well as live parasites since the treatment commenced is astounding and proof that the medication is actually working :)

if you have a microscope or have access to one, i can't recommend enough that you take samples and use it to determine what killed your fish. some of my fish that died displayed the enlarged organs you mentioned. most if not all did end up with soft bellies also.