Sign in to follow this  
CelesteGB

Constipation help

Hey all,

Ammonia-0

Nitrites-0

Nitrates-0

I have a little pearlscale named Samwise (again and the kids insisted on the name even though I think Samwise is a girl :)) , who started hanging nose down, bum up. I suspected either constipation or SBD. I have always fasted one day a week and followed with peas but I decided to fast for 2 days, followed by 3 days of peas and put her a breeder bin to keep an eye on poop. On the first day of peas, all I saw was one little 1/4 inch poop and nothing else during the 3 days of peas. On day 3 of peas I added a piece of epsom salt to her pea and I hope it didn't fall out but that she ate the piece of salt. Now I'm fasting her again but will fast for 3 days, and then feed peas for 3 days.

Any other suggestions? :) Btw, my QT tank is occupied at the moment so moving to a separate one is impossible because I don't have a spare filter :( I had thought to add 1/8 teaspoon to the water...

Also, I have tried to be very careful about overfeeding. Maybe after I get this cleared up, I should fast for 2 days and then 1 day of peas?

Thanks!

Edited by MomofMany

ARrghhh, I haven't tried spinach and the arrghh is because I just got back from the grocery store :D

Hi Celeste,

Really well cooked spinach works excellently. Another great choice is chopped canned green beans (no salt). :)

I do have a jar of baby food in green bean flavor.It'[s the organic kind I use for gel food. How's that? Yum...pureed green beans. :ill

Edited by MomofMany

I do have a jar of baby food in green bean flavor.It'[s the organic kind I use for gel food. How's that? Yum...pureed green beans.

How are you going to feed that to them? With that, you would have to make into gel food...

Ok, good point. I had a mental image of dribbling it in :whistle I'll just blanch some spinach tonight and give it to her :)

I give my babies green beans once a week. And boy do they poop :lol Try it you'll like it :lol

I just read that green bean might be more helpful that peas for constipation. Would frozen ones be ok?

how long should u microwave the green beans for?

how long should u microwave the green beans for?

I've only used canned, but I would imagine a couple of minutes in tank water should be plenty. Be prepared for poopalooza!

Well, on Thursday I fed Samwise a bit of green bean, then yesterday a little spinach and a bit of spinach today. I can finally see a tiny bit of poop but only a small shred about 1/2 a grain of rice. Do you think I should now fast for 2 or 3 days and repeat?

I would continue to give him these greens until he poops out normal green poop. Don't skimp on the greens :)

What he's pooping is green...just not much at all. So I shall stuff him/her with spinach. I really hate to see how much poop I'll see one he/she becomes unblocked :D

At this point feeding him green beans (just the seed part) and peas and spinach wont hurt, just dont feed anything else... :thumb:

Yay! Poop update!I've had some luck today...about 1/2 inch of healthy green poop. It's not one long piece but rather, 2 small rice size pieces but with a normal diamter. I'll feed more greens tomorrow and hopefully the cork will become unplugged :D

And she has pooped a little bit more and now she is pooping again. :carrot: Thank goodness...I was having empathy constipation cramps :P

Edited by MomofMany

Yay! Poop update!I've had some luck today...about 1/2 inch of healthy green poop. It's not one long piece but rather, 2 small rice size pieces but with a normal diamter. I'll feed more greens tomorrow and hopefully the cork will become unplugged :D

And she has pooped a little bit more and now she is pooping again. :carrot: Thank goodness...I was having empathy constipation cramps :P

:lol3

Hi all again. So quick question. The green beans u should only feed the seed part? They don't eat the actual non bean stuff?

I feed them the whole thing.

Koko, do you only feed the seed part?

I was wondering too. I fed the whole bean. It makes a dark green poop as opposed to peas and spinach which was a lighter green ;) Or something like that...I got a variety of little green poops in there

Well i feed them only the bean and when i had poo going in nice big green chunks :lol I tried to feed mine the whole bean, but they wouldnt eat it. So I shell them. :o

Oh, I gotcha. I just chop mine up to about Pro-Gold pellet size, and they eat the all. Sometimes if I want to be funny, I'll drop 1 inch long pieces in there. The pigs still eat them, and fast! :rofl

Oh, I gotcha. I just chop mine up to about Pro-Gold pellet size, and they eat the all. Sometimes if I want to be funny, I'll drop 1 inch long pieces in there. The pigs still eat them, and fast! :rofl

So mine are spoiled then :lol

So mine are spoiled then :lol

Well, yes! Soon to be mine mine mine, though :rofl