Sign in to follow this  
conisaxx

Goldfish and entourage

I was just curious to know... Who gets support to goldfish keeping from their boyfriend, girlfriend, fiance(e), husband or wife or even family members or friends?

My boyfriend used to be reticent about the thought of even having a tank in our future house, and now he fells in love with a new goldfish every time we visit the LPS and asks to bring him home...!

Share your stories

:P

My husband was quite adamant that if I got fish, I would be the only one looking after them. When I had to upgrade to a larger tank size, he wanted me to get the largest tank that could possibly fit in my studio. I was wanting a 30 gallon, but he wanted a 44 gallon. So I ended up getting up the 44 gallon. He has also expressed concern about the health of my fish and is quite okay with buying salt and meds. So he has warmed up to the idea of a fishtank in the house. He has yet to do a water change, but I quite understand his reluctance to do so.

My bf will help carry buckets during water changes and he'll also feed if I leave specific instructions on how much and exactly how to. He was allowed to help pick out the babies so he felt more involved which is why I think he's okay with helping out when required.

I have yet to bring up the subject of tank number 3 though... ;)

Hehe great stories here! My bf gets to pick of of my future goldies too Hihi :D

my bf thinks the wen on my goldies is ugly :( He is generally tolerant of my hobby, but I wouldn't call him supportive :P It took a lot of convincing to get my 40 gallon tank, and he thinks it is huge lol. The next upgrade is going to be tricky! He just doesn't get why I am interested in this.

My husband is supportive, he thinks their ugly and doesn't understand why I think they're adorable, but did encourage me to get a large tank. I think he would prefer a larger tank over more than the two tanks I have. His words, I don't want wall to wall tanks.

Well it was rough when I first got my little dude. My mom thought I was crazy when i said I needed at least a 10 gallon tank lol she said it was way too big for him; back when he was much smaller. My girlfriend also thought I was getting a little carried away but she knows how i am with animals. =] My mom eventually grew to love Pocho and now spoils him more than I do, I swear he looks way more excited when she comes into the room than when I do -__- My girlfriend is supportive too but she still thinks I worry too much about him, she likes to feed him when she can. She mostly does it in the morning since I suck at waking up early. Even my sister asks if she could feed him sometimes lol basically we all love him but not everyone approves of me using so much money :D

Great stories everyone! I think as long as they accept and respect it, they don't have to be so into it Hihi, even thought I think I really got my bf to love it... He is looking forward for my cycle to be done as much as I do !

My hubby likes that I have a hobby that I enjoy and keeps me busy...but he thinks I put way to much into it,and he feels I am wasting money and space on just goldfish :( but he does buy me lots of little gifts of goldfish like stuff ;) And he know's how much I love my babies :)

Oh and he has done a few w/c's when I was unable (back/neck problems) ;)

Edited by shellbell4ever

Great stories everyone! I think as long as they accept and respect it, they don't have to be so into it

I agree! My family doesn't always get why I'm always fiddling/thinking about my fish. For example, last week at the supermarket ("you're buying food for the fish again??" (bag of shrimp at supermarket)) or this morning ("Didn't you do a water change already?" (yeah, but that was last week)). But mom is understanding when my fish die because she knows how much I care and dad helps with water changes sometimes (I let him carry down the end of the python into the basement). So they are supportive in their own way, which is great! :D

bucket of fish stays in my office until john goes somewhere far from my qt tank!.

he surprised me the other day when we had a semi heated discussion about who's hobby is better.. he asked me something about the superbike championships.. i was able to answer correctly ;)

i turned to him and said, i want you to point out who is Zeus and who is Agapi in THAT tank, and pointed to the totts. he said.. "why would they be in there when they're in the other tank?" :o :o :o

so.. as much as he says he hates my hobby.. he's a closet fish lover too :P:rofl

i turned to him and said, i want you to point out who is Zeus and who is Agapi in THAT tank, and pointed to the totts. he said.. "why would they be in there when they're in the other tank?" :o :o :o

This made me lol :P

I've had my fish tank longer than the bf, so he didn't have any say in its appearance! He likes going to the fish store with me (mainly because he likes the axolotyls - apparently he's fine with us setting up a tank for one, but I'm not so sure I am!), he's also picked one of the fish in my big tank, and been present at the purchase of three of the others. He never tries to talk me down from buying a fish, though he won't talk me up either - he knows I'll try and make the best decision for me and at the end of the day I'm the one who keeps the tank sorted, he's happy to help out but tbh I find it easier doing it on my own, I forget things otherwise!

My parents have only had to deal with my fish when helping me move house or when I took them home for the holidays sometimes during uni - they think I go a bit over the top I think but they understand they're important to me and they like to watch them, and I sort them all out and pay for them myself so they're fine with it. They even bought me a big canister filter for Christmas one year and also gave me the money for my current 40 gallon bowfront for my birthday when I was looking for a tank (took me another 3 weeks to find one at a price I liked and the size I wanted!).

My family refuses to learn about fishkeeping and they think the way that they did it years ago is still the right way. I don't even want to get into because it angers me...... ugh haha. But my boyfriend is warming up to the idea of fishkeepin quite a lot. At first, he seriously thought I was crazy. When he helped me pick up the 180 gallon especially lol. But now he is seeing how much I love and care for my fish and sees that they do have a ton of personality. He even helps me with water changes and enjoys vaccuming out the tank with the gravel vac. He helps me pick out fish and names them for me. He has really gotten into the hobby now and it makes me so happy! He still doesn't know anything about cycling and treatments and stuff like that, but at least he supports my hobby.... unlike my parents haha

• A friend who kept a moor in 1.5 gallons of never-changed, untreated tap water looks down on me for the time (cycling) and space (45 gallons) I'm dedicating to 3 goldfish. Like, I could fit 45 in there, right?? What's my problem??

• A cousin unfriended me on Facebook after I messaged him, very politely expressing my condolences for the recent deaths of his bowl-kept commons, telling him that I also killed my first fish accidentally, and that most people do, and summarizing the basic requirements if he gets goldfish again. I was so polite! I would've wanted someone to tell me!

• Another cousin told me how funny it was that I accidentally fatally poisoned goldfish a few months ago. He's only 12 but I'm worried he's going to be a psychopath or something because he thinks stuff like that's genuinely hilarious with any animal, and he takes abysmal care of his own. He has starved multiple REPTILES to death through apathy (and of course his parents are just as bad because they buy him living creatures and don't prevent him from killing them), and I am the only reason his somehow still-living painted turtle (in a tiny plastic pet carrier) gets any water changes at all. I am also the only reason it has a rock to climb onto, rather than being trapped in water 24/7.

• My mother and sister understand, I think.

My family likes my fish. Though they hink i will over work them, with water changes.

I learned my love of goldfish from my mom, who had me dig a 5x10x6 pond when i was 13 for her ever expanding goldfish and koi collection >_O Dad liked dogs.

I've had a ouple lose goldfish friends, but it seems to most people like an "odd" hobby. My girlfriend and I have been together 6 years, and while she more or less passively tolerated them in the beginning (every time we went out and I'd ask to go the the LFS I'd get one of these looks :hmm). Now she sits and watches the tanks with me, chews me out when she thinks I've been slacking on water changes, and insists that someday they'll need a bigger tank and we should really consider buying a house with land so we could have growout ponds for them. Yup, she's a keeper.

• A friend who kept a moor in 1.5 gallons of never-changed, untreated tap water looks down on me for the time (cycling) and space (45 gallons) I'm dedicating to 3 goldfish. Like, I could fit 45 in there, right?? What's my problem??

• A cousin unfriended me on Facebook after I messaged him, very politely expressing my condolences for the recent deaths of his bowl-kept commons, telling him that I also killed my first fish accidentally, and that most people do, and summarizing the basic requirements if he gets goldfish again. I was so polite! I would've wanted someone to tell me!

• Another cousin told me how funny it was that I accidentally fatally poisoned goldfish a few months ago. He's only 12 but I'm worried he's going to be a psychopath or something because he thinks stuff like that's genuinely hilarious with any animal, and he takes abysmal care of his own. He has starved multiple REPTILES to death through apathy (and of course his parents are just as bad because they buy him living creatures and don't prevent him from killing them), and I am the only reason his somehow still-living painted turtle (in a tiny plastic pet carrier) gets any water changes at all. I am also the only reason it has a rock to climb onto, rather than being trapped in water 24/7.

• My mother and sister understand, I think.

Wow...not very supportive! :no:

My boyfriend is very supportive, in fact him and his housemates all want me to move in with them and to bring my 160 gallon tank along to liven up the living room, unfortunately I'm not too interested in being the only girl in a house full of men >.<

He also bought me my now largest goldfish.

My family on the other hand think I'm weird for liking fish.

Telling me I'm driving them insane whenever I mention them, telling me off for 'waisting' too much money on my custom tank and top end filter when they can survive perfectly fine in bowls.

My sister just a few weeks ago was telling me that she loves all animals and can understand when a person bonds with a puppy, but she doesn't understand why I've bonded with my $4 goldfish because according to her 'they don't have personalities'..

When I first wanted fish, my hubby was hesitant because he worried that I might not take care of them LOL

Now he's all into it, got his own 55 gallon tropical tank (but I'm taking 100% care of it, he just looks at them lol). He supports me and loves the fish too. He even sits in front of the tanks at times and talks to my fish. :)

What great stories! :)

I do A LOT of traveling for work, so I'm gone for around a few days to almost two weeks every month. It's so hard for me to be away from all of my pets. :(

I am so lucky that my boyfriend totally supports my hobby, he even helps buy a lot of the supplies to help out. For my birthday in February he even took me to my LFS and let me pick out stuff for my fish as my present.

When I'm gone he always feeds, turns the lights on/off, and has offered to do water changes however that hasn't been necessary yet (would make me kind of nervous, lol!)

Also a nice tip for feeding when away, I bought one of those daily medication holders that has both an AM and PM section for each day of the week and use it to measure out the food. It makes it MUCH easier for him to feed 2x a day and not worry about over-feeding or anything.

He is always so nice about everything though, the only thing he's ever been concerned about is noise, since the tank is in our bedroom. Other than that he enjoys the hobby and thinks it's really relaxing to have our little fish family. :)

I have to deal with his musical equipment and having a music studio in our basement so I guess he can't complain! lol

My boyfriend is very supportive, in fact him and his housemates all want me to move in with them and to bring my 160 gallon tank along to liven up the living room, unfortunately I'm not too interested in being the only girl in a house full of men >.<

He also bought me my now largest goldfish.

My family on the other hand think I'm weird for liking fish.

Telling me I'm driving them insane whenever I mention them, telling me off for 'waisting' too much money on my custom tank and top end filter when they can survive perfectly fine in bowls.

My sister just a few weeks ago was telling me that she loves all animals and can understand when a person bonds with a puppy, but she doesn't understand why I've bonded with my $4 goldfish because according to her 'they don't have personalities'..

I get this so much as well! My parents think I'm crazy and that I waste way too much money on my fish keeping hobby. Yet, they spend hundreds of dollars on wine every month!

If you're an animal lover, you should be able to bond with any pet you own, imo. :)