Nitrates in tap water too high

Black

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK... I may have been a bit naughty and put the little ones back in the main tank a couple of days ago (2 zebra danios and 1 minnow)

I figured it would be ok as Goog's is on MMs and isn't having a metronidazole bath. Woke up this morning to find one of the zebras floating on the surface dead. It looks like it has horrible red patches under the skin on its tummy and where the pectoral fins meet its body.

It has been bullied for a while by the other zebra but didn't really know what to do about it other than add more zebras to the tank which I didn't want to do beacuse of Googles.

I have kept it incase a photo is needed but after some research I suspect its maybe hemorrhagic septicemia.

My concern is will spread to Googs or was it caused by stress from bullying? Is whatever killed it in the tank? I am going to test the water now

:(

I'm not good at diagnosing tropical fish, having never had any other than bettas and and plecos. I'm not really sure what to tell you other than I'm sorry, and that this is the reason why we always encourage strictly keeping sick fish isolated. In any case, it is done, and to move forward, I think the only thing we can do now is to do a big WC on the main tank, and keep treating Googles as we have done.

Just done a 90%WC

This is day 5 of treatment. He has had 3 pellets so far today (he ate the first 2 by himself as he can now stay on his tummy)

Here are some pics of him upright that I have just taken. I tried to get a clear pic of his scales too but he's been very wriggly today

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/?action=view&current=g4.jpg

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/?action=view&current=g3.jpg

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/?action=view&current=g2.jpg

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/?action=view&current=g1.jpg

You are just fabulous!!! He is looking good, I am sending healing vibes to you and Googles I hope he continues to get better and stronger each day <3

I saw you put potatoes in the tank to feed a fish? Potatoes are HIGH in nitrates and actually release it into the soil (that's why they're so good for gardens, they provide nitrogen to the soil)

If there is any left in your tank it may be contributing to the nitrate issues. Good luck with your fish, and you've got some excellent advice so far :)

I saw you put potatoes in the tank to feed a fish? Potatoes are HIGH in nitrates and actually release it into the soil (that's why they're so good for gardens, they provide nitrogen to the soil)

If there is any left in your tank it may be contributing to the nitrate issues. Good luck with your fish, and you've got some excellent advice so far :)

Thanks bodoba.

I stopped feeding that months and months ago (it was written in a goldfish book on things to feed them for a varied diet) As i've said though, I am a lot more picky with what I read now.

The high nitrates come from my tap water and I now have a pothos

Also, when I did feed them potato, it was only miniscule amounts, like you would a pea

Edited by Black

You are just fabulous!!! He is looking good, I am sending healing vibes to you and Googles I hope he continues to get better and stronger each day <3

Thank you MissColonel, I've had lots of great advice and encouragement. I think I'm on the naughty step though with Alex... :)

Lovely, ok thank you for the clarification :)

no worries, thank you for your concern and advice :)

:o

ditto :o:ignore:wall:why::doh11:

It isn't my house, and i can't just have tanks everywhere unfortunately :( I thought it would be ok as it's only Googs I'm feeding the meds to :hide:

Anyway, he has just eaten 3 more pellets (first time I havent had to take him out the tank to do this)

He's been sliding/swimming on his tummy short distances and is very much upright

thank you, you and Coco especially have helped me so much, along with lots of encouragement from others :wub:

he has just done a nice big thick poop!

Day 6 of treatment- 6 pellets so far.

He was very excited about eating them today, and could hardly wait to gobble them up. He even located some all by himself! :Scoff:

Scales are so much flatter and he's still upright :)

10 pellets completed. The last 1 was a little bit of a struggle for him.

He's had shorts bursts of energy where he tries to propel himself off the bottom but he just sinks back down.

The current is quite strong and so he only ever sticks to one part of the tank.

He slides rather than swims