Nitrates in tap water too high

Black

Back! think my bf managed to get a max of 3 pellets down him today, but he's not 100% sure. I'm going to take over feeding duties after I've had 5 mins rest.

Fins crossed

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep trying. As long as he is getting even a little, that will help him.

Will you remind me how big is your QT? Do you have any way to measure under 1 gram?

I've spend ages trying to feed him. Think he's eaten 2 but they were in his mouth/throat for a long time, so I don't know if all the good stuff leaked out of them before he swallowed. They went very mushy.

I tried again with the liquid mixture (pellets, garlic and tank water) I put the pipette into his mouth so I hope it didn't hurt him or that any air went into him. It just came straight out anyway.

He's done a couple of beige poos today so he must be consuming something, and he did one after i finished feeding him this evening.

I've put the minnows in the other tank because i thought having a proper filter would be better for him. His tank is 100 litres. My bf did a 60-70% WC this morning.

No way to measure under 1g but I could look on ebay for something.

I dont feel very hopeful that he will start eating again :(

He's the same really, although his scales seem very slightly less spikey, but that could be the warmer water.

He's still on his back :(

I could take a pic tomorrow

Yes, pics would be great!

Give him time to respond to the meds, especially because he's not able to eat much of it. If by tomorrow he is still not able to eat, we should discuss adding the powder metro to the water.

... Fish & humans do not share the same sorts of gag reflexes, and imposing our tastes and preferences on our fish is not going to be helpful. For example, my fish love the soilent green gel. Can I be paid to eat it? Heck no, and certainly I would throw up were I forced to. Yet the fish love every bit of it.

Could not resist.........repashy packet says " Not for human consumption " :P

i think what i was implying was that 'separately' garlic and antibiotics are 'strong' smelling /overwhelming ', together combined might be more than an ill fish can handle

But "if" its working..then by all means....

But "if" it isn't......its just more stress.....(thats all i'm thinking, to cut down the stress level....), frankly at this point, i would alternate the feeding with the baths (hopefully googles may inhale some meds in the bath).... :twocents

I'm not fashioning human tastes onto fishes, what i'm implying is that ill humans / pets etc, all follow some similiar basic principles when restoring back to health. :twocents

I'm not fashioning human tastes onto fishes, what i'm implying is that ill humans / pets etc, all follow some similiar basic principles when restoring back to health. :twocents

I would agree on this.

Except when a fish is really sick, it's tough to make a multi-prong approach, since that might be too much for them to handle. Sometimes we do have to make that call, though.

I would agree on this.

Except when a fish is really sick, it's tough to make a multi-prong approach, since that might be too much for them to handle. Sometimes we do have to make that call, though.

And is that call working......( I'm not saying I have any better answer...just that after a couple of trys, and "if" its clear, then not to push it, over that "ledge" that it's hanging on)

... If by tomorrow he is still not able to eat, we should discuss adding the powder metro to the water.

I beg to differ..... :P

I haven't made the call to add meds to the water yet :)

Whenever you're ready, Sir Knight Alex to the rescue of googles :P

... If by tomorrow he is still not able to eat, we should discuss adding the powder metro to the water.

I beg to differ..... :P

I can only offer up suggestions to the best of my abilities. If you, or the OP, feel differently, then please by all means do what you think is best. :)

I understand, coco, but with meds, once you pass a certain threshold, treatments become poisons. This is what is known as a dose response curve, and such curves will depend very much on the health status of the fish, including kidney functions. Given that the kidneys and other organs are already being severely strained (as demonstrated by the dropsy), I am not comfortable pushing the dose of the meds, because that could easily kill, as well. I understand we all want Googles to be healthy and thriving, but I just can't push for more meds, especially when I know that said meds in the water has little chance of helping.

I hope that he has managed to eat some of the Metro-Meds, and is getting stronger. If later in the day we hear differently from Black, then we shall try the meds in the water.

I understand, coco, but with meds, once you pass a certain threshold, treatments become poisons. This is what is known as a dose response curve, and such curves will depend very much on the health status of the fish, including kidney functions. Given that the kidneys and other organs are already being severely strained (as demonstrated by the dropsy), I am not comfortable pushing the dose of the meds, because that could easily kill, as well. I understand we all want Googles to be healthy and thriving, but I just can't push for more meds, especially when I know that said meds in the water has little chance of helping.

I hope that he has managed to eat some of the Metro-Meds, and is getting stronger. If later in the day we hear differently from Black, then we shall try the meds in the water.

??

alex, i'm not advocating more meds(??)......my view is;"to not feed mm with garlic" since it was too much.......(that was my only small comment, and i suggested a bath with the same med, if she wasn't eating it ?)

I don't wish to waste black's thread, so i'll leave it with you :)

Edited by coco

??

alex, i'm not advocating more meds(??)......my view is;"to not feed mm with garlic" since it was too much.......(that was my only small comment, and i suggested a bath with the same med, if she wasn't eating it ?)

I don't wish to waste black's thread, so i'll leave it with you :)

My apologies :)

I have been confused, because I thought that was what you were saying all this time... :doh11:

As for the garlic issue, I don't have a problem with that. Since Black has to mush up the pellets, there is no need to use garlic as an attractant. We only encourage soaking in garlic juice as an attractant when we think it might help draw the fish to the food. Otherwise, it's not necessary lol.

Again, my apologies. My English clearly is mess up. :rofl

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Basically, I will hold off on the garlic, and if he still doesn't swallow anything in the next day or 2 I'll think about a Med bath. Hows that?

The Metronidazole arrived from greece this morning (tablet form)

Googles is enthusiatic in getting the food into his mouth, what he has a problem with is 'swallowing'

I have to go to work in an hour but I'll try and see if I can get him to eat anything this morning. It's my bf's bday party after I finish work so pics may have to wait until tomorrow :( Hope that's ok

On the plus side, although he is on his back on the bottom, he has been wiggling his 'arm' fins for hours this morning. So in his own way, he seems a bit more alert and active.

Thanks again to both of you for your time in helping poor little Googs :)

Oh, and he has def been pooing some of the meds out, so somewhere he must be managing to swallow, even if just a little.

That got to be good right?

Oh, and he has def been pooing some of the meds out, so somewhere he must be managing to swallow, even if just a little.

That got to be good right?

Absolutely. So do what you've been doing, as often as you can :)

Thought I'd take some pics now. He's very wriggly so it was difficult to take some clear ones but think I've managed. I'm happy that he was difficult to hold, the past couple of days he's barely moved! :clapping:

I take him out to feed him, it means I can sit down and take my time and I can see better as to whether he's actually eating.

I've chosen the pics where he looks his worst, to try and give a true representation. Do you think he looks better??

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/googs3-1.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/googs2-1.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/googs1-1.jpg

The scales are definitely much flatter! Keep up the good work.

At this juncture, I also should say that the flipping over on the bottom is something distinct from dropsy. They may be related in the sense that they could both stem from the same internal infection. However, just because we are able to treat the dropsy doesn't necessarily mean that we are going to be able to help Googles swim again as he was before. There is a very distinct possibility that his posterior swim bladder chamber has deflated, and in that case, there isn't much we could do in that regard. We will have to adjust for his new lifestyle.

Yea, I thought that might be the case :( I just don't want him to be on the verge of death.

However, that brings me to another question. If the dropsy is ever cured, yet he's left upside down at the bottom, is he ok like that and is his life worth living?? I just dont know :(

maybe i could try and make a sling for him. I dont know. I suppose one step at a time.

Yes, one step at time :)

I don't think that he will necessarily be flipped over forever. I hope not. In any case, there are things that we can try with that, which does not involve medications :)