Sign in to follow this  
Black

Nitrates in tap water too high

No, just keep in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate. You can feed peas on a very infrequent occasion, and in addition to the 10 daily pellets.

ooops, i've had them in the fridge for about an hour. are they still ok?

I've just tried feeding a few but he keeps spitting them out. should i try put garlic juice on them?

In have chopped garlic but it has white wine and vinegar in it as well so it's prob not a good idea to use that

You can just take it out of the fridge. It should be fine :)

He may have trouble chewing because of irritations in the mouth/gills. Try soaking the food in tank water VERY briefly (5 seconds), and then feed him. If he can't keep down his food. We will have to figure out something to help him get some food down. :)

I've tried soaking them, he's happy eat them but then spits them out about a minute later :(

Try feeding breaking a pellet into a smaller piece to see.

What is your set up consist of at the moment? Have we asked you to add heat and Epsom salt?

I've been breaking a single pellet up into about 3 or 4 pieces but he still won't keep it down.

You said no epsom as he wasn't bloated

Getting a heater tomorrow as my local place isn't open on saturdays but the temp at the moment is about 76

Thank you! I just wanted to get caught up on that. :)

The temp is good. Once you have a heater, go ahead and bring it to 80. I am going to ask you now to put in 1/4 teaspoons Epsom per 10 gallons (38L) of water. Because he is not bloated, we will want to do this for may be a day or two. I'm more concerned that he might be a bit constipated, and so this will help.

Let's try with the broken up pellets a few more times today. You will need to do a pretty big WC tomorrow.

do u think he is constipated? whenever I have fed him a pea is goes straight through a nice bright green colour. I will treat with epsom though if u think it best.

I will keep trying with the pellets. thank you for helping me through all this :)

Epsom also has other therapeutic values, so I think it's worth it for a couple of days.

Try giving him a pea now. I would like to see if he will spit it out.

ok, been trying to feed him a small piece of pea. He tried really hard to keep it down but eventually he spat this out too. I think he's taken a turn for the worse. Normally peas are is favourite :(

my bf is taking me to another aquatic place to buy a heater, and i'll look out for some epsom salt too.

I'm really really worried now

Sorry black, had a really busy day, first time logged on now.

( having a fish crisis my self, so i'm gonna be quick......)

He needs that M or MM, or the dropsy will be fatal........you have to get it in him, by hook or by crook.......

1. somehow mush the pellets up with tank water, put in syringe and hold and feed him(there's vid here somewhere).....OR

2. do a bath with the powder (dissolve beforehand) -prime bath and let him soak for x hrs or minutes (you need to check how long) the greek seller sometimes has instructions about the bath....

have to dash

no worries coco, hope yours isn't too serious

I think I have managed to feed him 3 chopped up pellets. I got some garlic powder and made a little paste with it and dipped the pellets in

I'm going to try and feed him 3 more in an hour or so

i'll try the syringe thing although I can't find the vid x

Give it two hours before you try again :)

oki doke Alex.

what time is it where you are? don't you ever sleep :P

I found the syringe video by stakos

It's 3 in the afternoon here :P

oh! haha :crazy:

I tried again, no luck with the pieces of pellet, but I tried with a pipette (don't have a syringe)

I mushed up some pellets with some garlic powder and tank water. The mixture was more a liquid than a paste so that I could squeeze it out of the pipette. i don't think much went into his body, most of it came out of his mouth and gills :(

I'm at work all day tomorrow but i'll see if my bf has more luck than me

The good news is that i think I did see a little bit of MM poop! it was beige in colour. Not much but better than nothing

Keep trying! :)

Keeping fins crossed and sending healing vibes for Googles!

no worries coco, hope yours isn't too serious

I think I have managed to feed him 3 chopped up pellets. I got some garlic powder and made a little paste with it and dipped the pellets in

I'm going to try and feed him 3 more in an hour or so

i'll try the syringe thing although I can't find the vid x

Thanks, got on top of it, (just stunned by how quickly it all happened.....)

NB garlic is good, has natures anti-bacterial properties, but it could be overwhelming......if i'm ill, garlic food wud make me gag, however when i'm healthy i love garlic..yum

Also, antibiotics by their nature taste crap, which is why mm is mixed with foodie flavour to mask it.......the combination of garlic & mushed up mm may make him gag reflex..........it wud me, if i was ill.

powder herbs, without the liquid element, means its even concentrated in taste but not necessarily has the same anti-b effectiveness.

My OH favourite word is " 2 -prong attack", applied here, throw the same thing at the bacteria, but in different ways - externally and internally. Just not overdose. Alternate it.

You have nothing to loose, and alot to gain.

Metronidazole is a very potent drug, and one which comes with its own set of hefty side effects. Metro-Meds and metronidazole overlap in functions, because Metro-Meds contain metronidazole, but that's about it.

I think the priority here is to get Googles to eat, and if we must, try to aid him. How are we doing on this front?

Fish & humans do not share the same sorts of gag reflexes, and imposing our tastes and preferences on our fish is not going to be helpful. For example, my fish love the soilent green gel. Can I be paid to eat it? Heck no, and certainly I would throw up were I forced to. Yet the fish love every bit of it.

It's morning here and about to go to work for the day

before I went to bed, I tried the pipette technique with the MM liquid mixture, which I posted. A lot went out of his mouth and gills :(

I'll get my boyfriend to have a go at feeding him today and update you later. I wish I could stay at home and look after him :(