• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

its a hit or miss how long or quick yours will arrive from greece

and he does need it pronto

I agree, now that the fish is not eating right. :(

Another update- I have just come home to find some healthy green poop in the tank. I hand fed him some more pieces of pea which he was very enthusiatic about and kept nibbling my fingers for more :) He kept it all down this time.

Hi Coco, that would be amazing! thank you so much!

how do i pm you? x

I'm still navigating myself around the forum, but i believe you need 100+ post to use the pm system. Leave an email address on here(?), and i'll email you back, then you can send me your address.

Do you know how to make gel food ( look in the forum), i'll send you 1g+ of M, unless alex tells me otherwise, if gel food is too much hassle, i can send you some metro meds wrapped in foil for freshness.

Thanks Alex :)

[DNAlex removed email]

I bought the meds from greece on monday 23rd.

I don't know how to make gel food but i'm willing to give it a try although I may need some help.

Thank you so much coco for coming to the rescue with the meds :clapping: x

Edited by dnalex

coco- I've sent you my address :) (I found your email in my junk mail, so check yours too)

Googles thanks you so much! x

I will.

Did a 50% water change this morning and I weighed him ready for the meds. He's 22g

:thumb: thats the spirit

and 1% of 22g is?

posted at 10am with 2 x 1st class stamps - fingers cross you get it sat a.m.

Briefly looking at your thread; :twocents

1.since your tap and tank ph are pretty similiar consider doing 90% water change. Cleaner water always helps combat bad bacteria.

2. nitra-zorb not only removes/deactivates nitrates, but also ammonia and nitrite (interfere with the natural cycle), and worse once saturated it flushes it all that back into the water- fluctuations are bad for a weakened immune system - 'consider' removing nitra-zorb all together.

i have high nitrate in my tap water too (nitra-zorb didn't work for me), and at this moment in time, you should concentrate on his dropsy, the nitrate can wait, he's already been in it for 1.5yrs. With treatment, one element at a time.

The fact that his tail fins are all scrunched up concerns me. :twocents

0.22g :)

I can't weigh this on my normal kitchen scales, will I have to buy some special ones?

Also, i've been reading waterfaller1's dropsy thread, and I am a little confused about the difference betweens MM and metronidazole. Are MM's medicated pellets and metronidazole a powder? Are they essentially the same thing?

Also, don't worry, I stopped using nitra-zorb a few months ago, it did work for me but I didn't trust it.

His tail concerns me too, but that's just one of many things that makes me feel sad for him :(

I am moving him to his previous smaller tank tonight or tomorrow morning and will do big 90% WCs

I feel so terrible about my lack of knowledge when I first got him and before I found this forum. That must be the reason he has got into this dreadful state. He has been bottom sitting for a year now. I am a bad fish mummy :doh11:

Metronidazole is one of the components of Metro-Meds pellets. The MMs contain two additional antibiotics.

Have you assembled your ingredients to make the gel food? Let me see if I can devise away to guesstimate how much food to feed based on how much food you make. It should not be difficult :)

wow he's been bottom sitting for a year - he's a fighter, and wants to stay with his fish mummy

Digital scales of 0.1 - 1kg are better, i bought a small one from argos, and then i got another online (0.01-1g)

Essentially yes. MM can go rancid in time (3-6mths), if not initially stored properly, with the powder you can make up your own concoction with it. Which one you use depends if he's eating or not etc, dath dips etc your judgement call really.

Not a bad fish mummy, you're learning and improving........... :)

i decided to lend a hand, since you were doing all you can..........

Thank you coco :gfish:

Do I make the gel food, pour it into little ice cube trays and add the precise amount of powder to each compartment and make sure he eats that one particular piece divided up through out the day.

Do I freeze the rest? and defrost before feeding?

Sorry, this is all very new to me

It's OK :)

You make the gel food, add everything, including gelatin, and the weigh out a certain amount to food, to which you add the metronidazole powder, stir very well, and let sit to set. Then you cut the food into set chunks to feed each day.

I am think that you can make 25 grams of food, to which you add 250 milligrams of metronidazole.

Then, if you cut that into 25 one gram pieces, each piece is enough to feed for 4 days. So freeze all but one piece, and then thaw more when you need.

The meds have arrived from coco yay!! :clapping:

she's given me 2g of metronidazole powder and some metro med pellets.

if i used the powder, do i used 1/8th of what she's given me (250mg) and add it to 25g of food? and will that last him for the whole duration of treatment?

It just seems like such a tiny amount, unless i've got myself totally confused. :krazy:

Coco gave you Metro-Meds? What an absolutely kind person she is! :D

Go with the Metro-Meds. You will want to feed 10 pellets per day, to be divided into 3-4 meals each day (2-3 pellets each time). Hold on to the powder for now :)

Fins crossed!

I know, she's amazing.I may make her Googles' adopted fish mummy :)

Do I keep the pellets in the fridge to keep them fresh?

should I still feed him peas as well?