Nitrates in tap water too high

Black

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101125-you-can-get-metronidazole-here/

I gather these meds are not so easy to get in the UK. DNAlex posted above thread in the UK member section about a possible way to order it.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Cheers,

Isabella.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Isabella, I'll let Googs know you're thinking of him x

I'll wait to hear which meds I should get.

Koko- I've done the WC :lol

• Admin

Thank you :)

No, I don't have either of those, where can I get them from?

Ok I want you to try and feed nothing but Peas (for 7 days) or Green beans (for 5 days) nothing else.

If you have to hand feed... :) If you can try and order the "metronidazole" when you can. :)

Also if you can report your readings after the water change :)

:( poor guy.

How are his poos? Have you seen any?

Does his belly look bloated at all compared to normal (it's hard for me to tell from the video)?

KoKo- readings are the same as usual:

ammonia- 0

nitrites- 0

Nitrates- 30

pH- 7.6

temp- 24

I'll buy some of that metro stuff now from ebay x

Tithra- I see his poos fairly regularly. I have been feeding mainly peas lately and they come out nice and green. As for his belly, no bloating as far as I can tell x

• Admin

KoKo- readings are the same as usual:

ammonia- 0

nitrites- 0

Nitrates- 30

pH- 7.6

temp- 24

I'll buy some of that metro stuff now from ebay x

Tithra- I see his poos fairly regularly. I have been feeding mainly peas lately and they come out nice and green. As for his belly, no bloating as far as I can tell x

Also if you can... feel the belly does it feel firm or soft?

Hi Koko, just felt his belly, but only gently. It was quite tricky as he was very slippery but I think it was soft.

Is that good? x

• Admin

Hi Koko, just felt his belly, but only gently. It was quite tricky as he was very slippery but I think it was soft.

Is that good? x

That isnt good :( The mods and I are trying to figure this out.... :thumb:

Thank you so much.

I have just come home and noticed that Googles has quite a few bright green poos surrounding him. I only fed him a tiny amount of a pea about 12 hours ago. There seems to be more waste than he has eaten today.

I've just lifted him out the water briefly to check his belly again. It definitely does seem slightly squishy. Only a little though.

However, when I did this, i noticed his scales didn't look quite right. They seem raised. I am just charging my camera and will take a pic of this asap

I'm sorry, but he's pineconing, and this is what is normally considered dropsy :(

If he's not already in QT (I'm sorry I am not 100% familiar with all the thread details), he should be, and you should change his water daily, by at least 50%. More suggestions will follow, but for now, this is the most important thing to do.

I hope the metronidazole will arrive soon. Now we really need it.

That's what I thought :(

I've just read some of the advice that has been given to GreenTea. Do I need to buy a heater and epsom salt?

He is in a 23 gal tank with 3 minnows. Should I remove them?

I think you should definitely QT him. It's better for him to be in a smaller tank (10 gal), because then it's easier for you to do daily WCs.

I didn't suggest Epsom, because I didn't really see any evidence of bloating, which would be what you would need the Epsom for. You will need a heater, for when you start feeding him medicated food.

I've also alerted the mod team on this, and so someone will certainly have more to suggest. I'm about to have to leave, and won't be able to attend to this for a while. Nevertheless, setting up QT is a good step. You could even get some Epsom to have it ready, as well.

Fins crossed for his full rapid recovery. Hang in there!

Thank you, just seen your post. i will move him to a smaller tank, although, I only have a sponge filter for that one

It is nearly always fatal without treatment, and with metronidazole, the chances of recovery is good. If you did not have that coming, I would be more worried.

Even though there is quite a bit of pineconing, his continued good appetite bodes very well. :)

The sponge filter should be fine. You will need to keep watch on the parameters, of course.

• Admin

Thank you, just seen your post. i will move him to a smaller tank, although, I only have a sponge filter for that one

Oh man Im sorry to see this hun.. :(

I agree with no bloating I dont think doing the Epsom salt is good right now. It can be hard on a fish and make them Anemic.

Please keep us updated everyday even with photos :)

Do you know when the Med will get to you?

I will do. I've just started a new job but I will do my best to keep up with the water changes every day.

The meds are coming from Greece and I am really concerned that by the time they arrive here in the UK it will be too late or that he'll have lost his appetite.

Also, from reading other posts on here I assume I'll have to make gel food in order to get the meds inside him. I've never done it before and I don't know if agar agar is available in shops over here.

Anyways, thank you all so much for your help and support, you guys are great

i just feel really sad about him at the moment :(:doh11:

:( I'm sorry. I hope he gets better soon, you are doing all you can for him :hug

You should be able to pick up agar agar at a health food store or Asian market :) Alternatively you can use regular gelatin if you can't find the agar agar.

Thanks Tithra :)

a quick update- I have just done a 60-70% WC

Scales are still looking bad as expected really.

I haven't moved him to my smaller QT tank yet as I need to buy a new sponge for that filter but my bf is going to help me set that up this weekend. (and of course I'll transfer some of the media from the main tank over to start the cycle) :fishtank:

oh, and I fed him his morning pea but it's been taking a while for him to get it down, and at one point he spat a piece out. i don't know whether this is because he is unwell or because he is on his back while eating