Sign in to follow this  
Black

Nitrates in tap water too high

One more question, sorry. Is it only during the first 2 rounds that I keep the salt at .1% and just let it decrease after that with the water changes?

You should keep the salt at that level for the duration of the treatment.

Actually, I noticed that you are in the UK. If you are using praziquantel, but not Prazipro specifically, you should have salt at 0.3%. We only have salt at 0.1% when treating with Prazipro because for some reason salt interferes with Prazipro, if we go higher than 0.2%.

Oh ok, thank you. I'm using prazipro as I ordered it from the US.

I have live plants now, do you think they'll be ok with salt at 0.1%?

Most, if not all, plants should tolerate 0.1% salt just fine :)

Most, if not all, plants should tolerate 0.1% salt just fine :)

One plant I have noticed that is sensitive is the Sword plant or any plants with thin leafs like that :(:twocents:

yay, thank you :)

ok Koko, i shall keep an eye on them :fishtank:

Your fish is very handsome. Black. Wishing the best for his recovery towards more zeal and enthusiasm! :)

As for the high nitrate level problem, you can use a denitrator.

A denitrator is a biological filter that removes

nitrate (NO3) from the aquarium. A denitrator

filter uses anaerobic bacteria to break down

nitrate into nitrogen gas (N2), which escapes into

the atmosphere, the result is nitrate free effluent.

Please wait for confirmation from more experienced members.

Edited by bagho

Thank you Bagho, Googles loves compliments :)

I shall wait to see what the others say about the denitrator. . .

Personally, I've always been very interested in these denitrifying filters, but they just haven't ever been high enough on my list to get just yet. They are not cheap here.

WC- 2 days ago, about 60%

Ammonia- 0

Nitrite- 0

Nitrate- 30/40

Ph Level- 7.5

An update on Googles: I haven't treated him for flukes yet as I am going away and didn't want to do it until I come back so I can keep an eye on him.

He now stands on his head/eyes in the corner about 90% of the time. I am worried about the friction on his eyes. The heater broke last week and temperature now ranges from 19 - 21degrees (used to be 23.5) and I wonder if this is affecting him?

Also I have 5 little white cloud minnows and danios in the same tank and have noticed they are sometimes flciking against the floor and a piece of driftwood I have in there.

Do you think this is def a sign of flukes? Can flukes also cause unbalanced swimming?

Thanks

Also, how long do you think it will take for my new Pothos plant to start sucking up those nitrates?

I think it's definitely worth treating for flukes when you get back, although the headstanding may suggest some other internal issues, such as intestinal parasites. It might good to get both the Fluke-Solve and the Wormer Plus from Kusuri and do both.

Nitrates are at a decent level. :)

My understanding is that when you first transfer the pothos roots over to the aquatic system, they may experience a little shock but should rebound rather soon after. I hope you will see an effect on nitrates soon :)

Hi again,

I am planning to start the prazipro treatment today, but firstly 2 things:

1) do I need to incrase the temperature in the tank for the prazi to work better? it currently ranges from 18 degrees to 21 (my heater broke)

2) I think I will do the salt dip because I want to do everything i can to make him better. Could someone please explain how to do it or send me a link with the information? Unless it really isn't necessary to do one

Many thanks

Hi,

Can someone please help me with my questions because I want to start treating asap

thanks

Hi again,

I am planning to start the prazipro treatment today, but firstly 2 things:

1) do I need to incrase the temperature in the tank for the prazi to work better? it currently ranges from 18 degrees to 21 (my heater broke)

2) I think I will do the salt dip because I want to do everything i can to make him better. Could someone please explain how to do it or send me a link with the information? Unless it really isn't necessary to do one

Many thanks

Hello. Sorry you didn't get the answers to your questions prior to now :)

1) The temp is fine. It's a bit on the low side, but that's not an issue. Let's keep it there for now.

2) The salt dip is not necessary. Most people usually don't salt dip before a Prazi treatment, but if you'd like, I'm happy to show you. What is important is that you need to have 0.3% salt in the tank. This salt is any sodium chloride that has no additives. It needs to be added in 0.1% increments every 12 hours. There are two in-depth links to salt in my sig :)

Thank you for your reply. I won't bother with the salt dip then :)

Just to confirm, is 0.1% not best with prazipro?

That's what I was going to check next, actually :)

For Prazipro, go to 0.1%, or you can double dose and go to 0.3%.

Hi- a new update on Googles.

I did the full treatment of Prazi which finished a couple of weeks ago. Now he seems in worse shape than ever. All my water params are what they usually are (pH- 7.5, nitrite- 0, nitrate- 30, ammonia- 0, temp- 22 degrees).

I just don't know what to do anymore. He can't seem to swim at all now and is on his back, and seems slightly curved backwards at a funny angle.

Also he tends to get pulled into the corner where the uptake is because of the current, and is now just permenantly in the corner.

I don't know whether to start this in a new thread but should I euthanise? I don't want to lose him but I can't bare the thought of him just having a completely miserable life. He still eats but only if I move him towards the food.

Please help :(

Can you get a photo or video?

when was the last water change? and how much?

Last water change was Sunday 15th at 70%. I am about to do another and post a video asap

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/?action=view&current=100_4308.mp4

Hope this works. Sorry about the quality but I don't have a proper video camera.

This video shows how Googles is when he isn't stimulated by food. He can lie on his back for hours on end, barely moving

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/?action=view&current=100_4309.mp4

These next 2 videos show Googles reacting to food as soon as I have put some in. The little bits are flakes that I put in for the minnows (of which I have 3) The green pieces are bits of cooked pea.

i didn't feed him for nearly a week last week to try and help any constipation issues he may be having. However in the past 2 days he has gone from bad to worse. Normally at feeding time I would be able to flip him over, which would enable him to start swimming and locate the food himself.

This is what I am trying to do in these videos but as you can see, he seems to only be able to be on his back now :(

http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u499/Googs09/?action=view&current=100_4310.mp4

As you can see I will have to hand feed him.

I appreciate any help or advice you can give me. I am at a complete loss with what to do for him

Right now I would like you to do another 50% water change.

Do you have Medigold or MetroMeds. Im also asking other Mods to come in and help us :)

Thank you :)

No, I don't have either of those, where can I get them from?

Poor baby, I'm not experienced enough to help, but sending lots of healing vibes and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Googles !