Sign in to follow this  
ahardeay

Maybe a fluke? Not sure

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level 0ppm
  • * Nitrite Level
  • * Nitrate level N/A
  • * Ph Level, 7.5 Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
  • * Ph Level, Tap 7.8 (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API strips and drops
  • * Water temperature? 74 fahrenheit
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) 55 gallons
  • and how long has it been running? 2 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua clear 70
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 25% 2x a week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 25% Thursday
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 small 1-2 inch
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra water conditioner
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari purple bag
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi-pro
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • 10 tsp salt in the 55, I only did that because I read that the salt can sometimes make the prazi less effective, I started prazi after my water change yesterday.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • my red cap breathes at the top a lot so I was worried it might be gill flukes, there is plenty of oxygen I have a bubble wand and airstone on a tetra 100g air pump, also , this is my main concern because I can see it, my calico ryukin has a couple white lines on him, they are small and do not look like anchor worm, I couldn't find any good pictures of what I am seeing online, but they do appear to move. I have only done one dose of prazi and my carbon is removed from the filter. I did 2 and 1/2 tsp. because dosage says 1 tsp per 20 gallons.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • No, all are eating great and being social, just one breathes at the top a lot

I would just like some second opinions or confirmations on what I think my fish have as I have not had goldfish since high school.

Hello & Welcome! I hope you don't mind, but I'll answer you in bold in the quote below :)

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level 0ppm Fantastic!
  • * Nitrite Level We really need to know this number, because nitrites can also make a fish start piping at the water. Because your tank is still pretty newly set up, we need to see if the tank is cycled.
  • * Nitrate level N/A This value is very important also, as it tells us whether your tank is cycled, and whether your WC schedule is OK or not.
  • * Ph Level, 7.5 Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Good
  • * Ph Level, Tap 7.8 (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Good. Would you be able to find out the kH/gH of your tap?
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API strips and drops Great. API Freshwater Master Kit is one of the best, since it drop tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH :)
  • * Water temperature? 74 fahrenheit Fantastic
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) 55 gallons
  • and how long has it been running? 2 months
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua clear 70 You are a tad underfiltered. We recommend that HOBs gph total at least 10x the size of the tank, or 550gph in your case. Another AC70 would be perfect.
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? 25% 2x a week I would increase this to 40% 2x/week

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 25% Thursday
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6 small 1-2 inch They are OK for now, but soon enough your tank will be overstocked.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Tetra water conditioner The next time you buy conditioner, get Seachem Prime or Amquel+. These conditioners are much better, since they also detoxify ammonia and nitrite.
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari purple bag Nice food :)
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi-pro Great choice :)
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • 10 tsp salt in the 55, I only did that because I read that the salt can sometimes make the prazi less effective, I started prazi after my water change yesterday. Will you add 40 teaspoons more? This will make it 0.1% salt. Prazipro is not very effective at salt concentrations higher than 0.2%. We want 0.1% salt there, to stimulate slimecoat production to function as a mild disinfectant.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • my red cap breathes at the top a lot so I was worried it might be gill flukes, there is plenty of oxygen I have a bubble wand and airstone on a tetra 100g air pump, also , this is my main concern because I can see it, my calico ryukin has a couple white lines on him, they are small and do not look like anchor worm, I couldn't find any good pictures of what I am seeing online, but they do appear to move. I have only done one dose of prazi and my carbon is removed from the filter. I did 2 and 1/2 tsp. because dosage says 1 tsp per 20 gallons. Great! Do another 3 rounds, please :)
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?
  • No, all are eating great and being social, just one breathes at the top a lot

I would just like some second opinions or confirmations on what I think my fish have as I have not had goldfish since high school. I think it's a good preventative measure, at the very least, to treat for flukes, since flukes is rather prevalent. At this time, because we don't have nitrite numbers, we can't quite rule out that the piping at the surface isn't due to water quality issues alone. Would you be able to get the rest of the numbers? Regardless, treating with Prazi is a good idea. :)

I dont have a nitrite test kit but I just tested my nitrate, which is at a 0ppm with API drops.

I dont have a nitrite test kit but I just tested my nitrate, which is at a 0ppm with API drops.

I strongly encourage you to get a kit that also tests nitrites. With 0 ammonia, zero nitrates, and a recently set up tank, I'm worried that you are in the middle of cycling, and that the piping at the surface is an indicator of not flukes but nitrites. It would be great to be able to make sure one way or another. The API freshwater master kit is fantastic, and will allow you to do hundreds of tests :)

OK I was trying to buy the tubes individually since I already had 3 of them, ammonia, nitrate, and ph, but my Petco doesn't carry the nitrite test separately. I will get the big set after all.

Also as far as cycling goes , it is possible thats happening with the nitrite, but when I set up the 55 I put in all my old water, from my 10 and 5 gal tanks, and ran my old 10 gal filter on it with the aquaclear 70 to try and add in beneficial bacteria. I had them overcrowded previously because I was uninformed of goldfish needs, so I set up 2 tanks to house them until I got the 55 later.

I read your other thread, and totally understand. Many of us started out the same way; I'm really glad you found us and are making these changes. I hope you didn't think I'm castigating you for anything. :)

With cycling, the water in the tank isn't going to carry much, if any, beneficial bacteria at all, since these organisms colonize well-aerated surfaces in the tank and especially the filter media. You were very wise to have run the old filter along with the AC70. It may be that your tank is cycled after all. However, because of the lack of nitrates and not knowing the nitrite value, we can't conclude anything. So, having that kit is going to be great, because it will tell you what you need to know about your water at all times, as far as nitrogen products are concerned :)

OK thanks, no I didn't think anything like that, I just wasn't sure if what I did may have prevented the tank from recycling. I will get the test set this weekend when I go to Sacramento, the Petsmart there has way more products than the Chico stores. I will post the new test results as soon as I can, probably Sunday. Or maybe I will take a sample of water in to the pet store for a quicker test result, they do it for free at my LFS.

Just as a side note. You cannot see flukes with the naked eye. Are you maybe seeing the fish shed slime?

Hmmm I can see a white tiny line on his side and on a gill plate, does anchorworm not always have the prongs on the end? Can u not see all flukes?

Hmmm I can see a white tiny line on his side and on a gill plate, does anchorworm not always have the prongs on the end? Can u not see all flukes?

Is there any chance you could upload some pics of this? Flukes are too small for the naked eye.

I will try, I don't have an awesome camera and the line is very small. I'll see what I can do.

No photo :no: I have an old digital and it is too fuzzy of an image to see. He is a Calico and it just looks like his other white markings in the picture. I'm starting to think that maybe it is anchor worm. It looks like a small white line close to his body. Would it be ok to treat for it even if I'm not sure that is what it is? I'm pretty sure that it is a parasite because there was only one now there is 2 and the first one has been there for 2 weeks. The fish looks totally healthy other than this. I wish I could get a pic for you guys!

Does it look like this?

lernea-anchor+worm.jpg

Ewwwww, no thank goodness

So I just looked at him again and the white thing that had been there is gone! Maybe the Prazi pro worked on whatever it was? anyway I'm going to watch and see if it appears again or if anyone else gets it. I will still post those test results when I get them.

So my test results are in, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate, ph 7.6 I got the API drop test kit. Is it possible that my fish is weird and enjoys eating air? The prazi didn't change much for her and she swallows so much air there are sometimes air bubbles in her poop. The white on my calico is gone.

Would you be able to upload a photo or video of your tank set up? Excessive bubble/air eating sometimes could be indicative of internal infections, OR at it can be a nuisance and cause floatiness issues.

Ok, finally figured out how to do videos :)

The redcap swallowing air is at the end of the video, the beginning is my fish swimming around and the tank setup, my tank is a 55 gal with and Aquaclear 70 with foam insert ammonia remover insert and bio insert, the carbon is out because of the prazi treatment going on, this is also why the tank water is a little cloudy and extra bubbly at the top. The air bubbler is for a 100m gal.

Also, a newbie question, how often do I need to change my filter pieces? It says to stagger them to keep good bacteria, but when should I change the carbon step, or the foam, every 6 weeks?

Edited by ahardeay

They just ate in that video and some of them are still chewing their food/ searching for food.

I think they look pretty happy & healthy, but it's not a bad idea to treat for flukes as a preventative in any case :)

As for the AquaClear and its filter media, you don't have to change out for sponge for a very very very very very long times :rofl

Just give it a good rinsing and squeeze in old tank water every couple weeks or so to clean it.

Carbon is not necessary, but if you do use it, you should change it out every month.

The bio-media bag at the very top should be rinse as well, to dislodge all the crud.

I've found that it really helps with my water clarity to add 1 layer of filter padding, either in place of carbon, or right before the carbon. That, too, can be rinsed and used until it starts to fall apart on you :)

Ok thanks! so you think my red cap oranda just enjoys being at the top sometimes? She is a pretty bad begger, she will make a loud sucking noise when I walk by. I am just being a nervous new fishmom I guess, I just want to keep them healthy.

In my (and other people's) experience, fish will gulp at the surface for a couple of hours after being fed with pellet foods. It's thought that this is because the pellets leave a very thin coating of oil on the water surface, and the goldfish are trying to find more food there. I'm not sure if it's just that, or some other factors. However, if you see this behavior within a couple hours of feeding, I think it's safe to conclude that it's food related :)

If I may... I would suggest another AC 70 on that tank. :thumb:

I was looking into a second filter, should I do two or just upgrade? I was also considering a canister filter but is that too much for a 55 gal?