Goldfish<Koi?

Today, one of my professors mentioned a building on campus that has a courtyard in the center. He expressed happiness that there were koi in the pond there. I politely said they were actually goldfish, which is absolutely true.* He sneered and looked disgusted. "Goldfish. Ugh."

So, he thought they were magnificent fish, until their true identity was revealed. How sad. Our poor misunderstood campus goldfish. :(

*There are about 8 of them, they're all orange commons, and most of them are about a foot long.

He really is. He is the only professor, in five semesters of being an undergraduate, that I have genuinely disliked. The goldfish comment is nothing, really, compared to how he makes fun of students when they do equations up on the board (regardless of whether they're correct).

Ha. I complain but I'm so happy to be in college.

Trust me, I've been working for a college for the last 6-7 years, that isn't the worst I've heard. You would be surprise what these ignorant PhD's would do and say. I had one teacher asked me what is the difference between a left and right click is.

Goldfish = bowl

Koi = pond

Is the equation most people in this country do.

Just tell him you were wrong and they are In fact koi. Then you can laugh at him in his ignorant bliss.

Edited by Ichthius

Goldfish = bowl

Koi = pond

Is the equation most people in this country do.

Just tell him you were wrong and they are In fact koi. Then you can laugh at him in his ignorant bliss.

Haha, I wouldn't want to encourage the class's belief that goldfish get to be like 2" max and can't possibly live in ponds. And I know that a lot of people here in the dorms already keep goldfish in bowls. Several years ago, a girl I knew here kept a moor in a 1.5 gallon thing in never-changed tap water for over a year somehow and I never had the guts to question it. :(

I assume most people here, like the professor, assume that the courtyard goldfish are koi so:

I'm going to type up a sign and stick it on the window into the courtyard, saying that they are in fact goldfish, the same type of goldfish you can buy for 15 cents as inch long feeders. That this type of goldfish really needs 20+ gallons each, not bowls. With a little link to Koko's at the bottom. Maybe someone will take note. :)

Edited by adverbemonade