Too young?

felix

Hello, I was wondering when you know when a goldfish is ready to breed. Does it depend more on age or size, I thought size because a really stunted goldfish won't breed, Right? Anywho, thanks for the help.

• Admin

Typically they are ready to breed at about 2 years old. Anything younger may cause problems to the fish.

You can tell when the male gets his breeding stars. Stunted fish will breed, just may have some issues if its the female.

• Admin

So breeding depends on age for the most part but not size.

Well you cant really go on size. Reason stunted fish, you really dont know how old they are. Even some fish will be small when they are 2 years old.

When I was into breeding, I would have the fish with me at least a year before I would try, once they are about 3-4" long.

I liked them more in the 4" size. This way I knew they where more at the right age. So size helps you see if they are old enough, but they need to be at least 2 years old :thumb:

Hope that makes since.

I have a fish that I thought was a girl, I have had him how for almost 2 years. Now this last year he showed me his stars. So this is one reason I wait :thumb:

• Admin

Koko,

So if my female fish laid eggs when she's only about 2.5 - 2.75 inches, does that means she has been stunted? If she was, you mentioned there would be issues, what would those be?

No females can lay eggs at an yearly age.

The way I like to see if a fish is stunted is look at there eyes if they arent a Telescope. Look to see if they are bigger than they should be. My Jupiter is stunned, her eyes are alot bigger than they should be for her size.

Issues would be fry that may be deformed, females could get egg bond. If the female isnt ready and you have a older male with the female, and he pushes to breed. He could kill her.

I placed my pond fish years ago in with my tank Oranda girls. Biggest mistake, he almost killed her. He had her corned for at least a day and kept chasing her around, next morning her fins where torn up. I had to take the male out. Breeding can be very hard on your fish. :( If you dont know what your doing.