Sign in to follow this  
Sssandy

What happened to my Oranda's Wen?!

Perfect! I hadn't gotten around to doing the W/C today.........

.......Okay done! (I added "a dose" of Prime for the full tank) - Hope that's what you meant

You will hear from me tomorrow - "same fish time, same fish channel."

:thumbs::rofl

I'll be tuning in! :)

(Yep, I did mean a dose of Prime for the full tank.)

: D

@ dnalex - WE HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY!!!! November 26th! BIRTHDAY BUDDIES!........(also Tina Turner)

YES!!!

Very talented people on that birthday, of course! :rofl

Okay, Birthday Buddy,

Today's report.

Water Params:

Ammonia: < 0.25 (close to 0)

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 40

Ph: 7.6

Fish Behavior:

Normal - Fin up. Swimming casually on all levels of the tank. Rooting. Eating food (still not the best locator, but gets the job done)

Only strange symptom is a small about of skin or fuzzy material attached to his eyes above his facial wen. Haven't noticed in before, perhaps not an issue to worry about.

The parameters look great! I am thinking that you should be good to start treatments. I would like to add some salt up to 0.3% for about 1 week before the Prazi. Salt is to be dissolved and added 0.1% at a time. 0.1% salt = 1 level teaspoon per gallon. The reason I am suggesting this is that the little bit of fuzziness could be some columnaris, and salt is perfect for getting rid of things like that. After a week, you could then lower the salt to 0.1% and start on Prazi. You will still need to check on parameters daily for now, so that we can see if anything needs to be done, like a WC.

What are your tap parameters? I would like to suggest doing a WC before starting salt, but I would like to know tap values before making this suggestion.

Tap water params:

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 40-80

Ph: 7.5

We have a number of different treatments being tried at the same time.

Here is an overview just to bring it all into perspective:

Overview of treatment

You were originally having me do 20% W/C daily for one week and increase W/C amounts to try to get my bio filter to bulk up to eat the 1.0ppm of Ammonia. I have done 3 of those daily water changes then stopped yesterday at your request - I have not done a W/C today or yesterday.

I had A LOT of Salt in my tank originally! 4 Tbs in a 20 gallon. (Terrible math or reading the wrong advice lead me to this mistake)

I have not been adding salt with those 3 - 20% water changes so now salt has been reduced. Not sure if my math is exact, but it looks like I currently have 0.36% salt.

Thank you for reminding me of all that has been done before. I appreciate that very much. :)

Let's just go with this plan for now:

Keep going with the small daily changes. Observe the fuzzy area. If it expands, let us know right away and we can start in on the salt. Otherwise, I think we can hold off on any other treatment for now :)

Regarding the treatment recap: My pleasure. I figured, with more than 15,000 posts and being the MOTM, you might have "a few" other people you are helping besides me. I really appreciate your patient and faithful guidance. My fish seems to have benefited greatly from your advice and the information is not lost on me either. You definitely deserve your MOTM status. :P November 26th is certainly a charmed day to enter into this world. :D

So just to be clear, I am to revert to your original plan:

" for the next two weeks, do 20% WCs daily. This way, your tap ammonia doesn't bring the tank ammonia level up too high.

- after a couple of weeks, switch doing 30% WCs every 2 days and do this for 2 weeks. Check parameters a day after WCs to see whether ammonia has been processed or not.

- if your filter is able to process that much ammonia in 24 hours, then begin doing 40% WCs every 2-3. Again, check to see whether the ammonia is processed within 24 hours.

- Once the filter can handle that, then up it to 50%, and do bi-weekly 50% changes."

I will check and record water params daily and continue to add a dose of Prime for 100% of the tank volume.

Question:

What do you think the salt level of the tank should be? I believe his salt level is 0.36% right now. Should I try to keep it around 0.3% or should I reduce it slowly over time by not replacing the salt when I do my daily W/C's?

After that, I think I'm good for a while. Unless the fuzzy eyes get worse. I'll post pics.

Thanks again for all your help!

You are a Fishy Super Hero!

Sandra

Mwahhahahaha. I hope I don't start to smell like one! :rofl

The plan is perfect! :)

Although goldfish can tolerate a very large range of salt, we always aim to keep salt at 0.3% (or less) during treatments, unless it's a short term dip. Also, take care not to keep fish in 0.3% salt for longer than 4 weeks, because salt itself can be caustic, and chronic exposure could lead to a phenomenon referred to as "salt creep," where you get behaviors like darting and flashing, and symptoms resembling fin rot.

The priority right now in the face of all that terrible stuff in the tap is to make it so that your tank is insulated from huge changes, which you are doing just splendidly. Whatever ails him, if he has good water, chances are he can fight it himself :)

Yeeeeeesssssss, your plan of global domination through Goldfish advice is coming along "swimmingly....."

I had to upload some photos onto my computer anyway, so I grabbed a shot of his eye incase it is easily diagnosed. It almost looks like wen growth on his eye. Poor little guy is suffering from Oranda - cataracts at the age of one. I will assume everything is fine unless it gets worse or you tell me otherwise.

DSC_0596-1.jpg

Edited by Sssandy

Looks good to me. Eventually, I think that his wen will grow over the eyes, but that should not be a problem to him, since luckily he will be using other senses to find food anyway :)

If and when it does affect his behavior, then you can trim his wen, but I doubt you will ever need to do that :)

Nice New Pic - I had no idea you were a weaner dog! Hee hee.

Hate to bother you so soon, but Leo's eye is worsening. In 24 hours it has gotten pink and puffy material all the way around the eye. I can't get a good shot of it but I'm sending you my best.

Is this just very fast wen growth or some kind of bacterial infections or eye flukes?

water params today are

Ammonia - 0 (yay for the first time!)

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 0

Ph 7.4

Leo's eye today:

DSC_0503-1.jpg

Leo's eye yesterday:

DSC_0596-1.jpg

Could you please get us a video of him, so that we can see the whole fish? Also, how is his behavior? Still active and eating?

Here's a video. The first eye facing the camera is his "good" eye (just a bit of fuzz on it.) When he turns around you will see his "bad" eye (pink ring all the way around it.) His "bad" eye looked like his "good" eye yesterday.

He does have some pinkish color in his wen near that eye so I'm willing to believe its wen growth if its possible for it to grow that quickly.

Behavior: Eating well and acting mostly normal. He did some splashing at the top corner of his tank this evening, but then settled down.

Unusual factors: His tank water has increased from 72 - 82 degrees over the day due to a hot spell we are having in Philly. I don't know how to prevent this.

Tanks, :gfish:

Sandra & Leo

Edited by Sssandy

I just took a look at the video, and while I don't think that it's "normal," I also don't think there there is much that we can do right at this time other than observing him, which I know you do all the time anyway.

One of the major issues with fish with overly developed wens is that all kinds of things can get trapped in there and start local infections. In a healthy and stress-free fish, these issues will resolve on their own. It's only when they have become ulcerated or broken open that we should really look into intervening. Not only that, given that there 0.3% salt in the system, you should be set to go for now.

Having said that, there are a few things I would like for you to consider obtaining, for preparedness' sake. I have them in my cabinet also, and hope not to need to use them.

- From goldfishconnection.com: Metro-Meds, Medi-Gold, and Jumpstart. The first two are two different types of medicated food. Those foods are absolutely amazing, and between them, should be able to take care of any bacterial issues that may ever come up. Jumpstart is probiotic food, which is good to feed after medicated food treatments. These food, when left unopened, can last for at least a year.

- From LFS/anywhere: Maracyn 2 or Triple Sulfa. These are for extreme emergencies when you have sick fish that refuse to eat.

Again, these are just so that you can be prepared at all times, not because you need to treat Leo! :)

Good advice, I'll just relax, watch and enjoy. :gfish: I think I am overly anxious because I have had beloved goldies crash and burn on me very quickly in the past and it was heartbreaking.

I will: Keep the salt at 0.3, order those supply meds and stay on your W/C schedule.

Final question: should I dose prime for 100% of the tank volume every time I W/C? This does not overload the tank with chemicals over time?

"Tanks" again for all your help,

Sandra

Final question: should I dose prime for 100% of the tank volume every time I W/C? This does not overload the tank with chemicals over time?

Great question. When the tank temp is up in the 80s like it was today, only add a half dose. Prime will work itself out of the system within 24-48 hours :)

I've also had fish that decline really rapidly on me before, as well. With some, there's just not much anyone could do. With others, we can do something about it if we are prepared. Either way, we won't have to go into a panic state. (Of course, I panic anyway, but it's a different sort of panic lol)>

Update:

Leo seems very happy and healthy.

:thanks again for all your knowledge and help!

High five! :hi5

Hope this message finds you well,

Sandra

:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot::clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

That's great news. Thank you for the update, and I hope all is well with you as well! :)