Sign in to follow this  
kukana d

does anyone know what this is?

hey guys,this is Blaze's 3rd day like this :( He can barely move,but is still breathing. I lowered the water level-although he is unable to go to the surface.I have the temp @ 80*F.He has not eaten. Honestly,I had hoped this big 'lump' on his side was maybe constipation or something that might 'pass'. He came to the top to eat on Sat.,and I did not notice anything. Sun.,I went to move him to a bigger tank and this is pretty much how he was-he is able to 'run' if chased-ie when I moved him. He looks SO pathetic,and I have thought many times I should euth-but I HATE to euth-the 1 and only fish I've ever used clove oil on really struggled and it was awful. I keep hoping he will take it out of my hands,but he keeps hanging in there. I thought I would post some pics of the 'protrusion' in hopes that maybe someone would recognize the condition :( Anyone know? (He's about 2 yrs.)

20120411_8293.jpg?t=1334129734

20120411_8290.jpg?t=1334129578

20120411_8291.jpg?t=1334129629

Oh how horrible! Sorry i don't know anything about bettas tho.

Edited by Captain Findus Goldfish

Thanks,Fede.This is breaking my :heart

Sorry to hear this :( just with looking at the photos, lowering the water level would be a good start, or putting a condo box with him in it near the surface. This is to make it easier for him to take air from the surface and get rid of some of the water pressure. That lump looks really bizzare, is he pineconing at all?

The only organ that is that far along the body is the swim bladder, so that might have something to do with it? Any chance of answering the questions posted in D&D? Might help other members a little.

Edited by Narny105

susan, i hear 2 years is roughly what most members have their bettas for, however, some have lived much longer, i think devilduck is in her 3rd or 4th year with Kitchen Betta aka KB..

i am wondering if he's an old man, i also notice, although blurry, some bumpiness to his scales? have you treated with anything at all? even salt? if salt, what concentration did you treat?

Having looked better I was thinking he was swollen. Could you try maybe epson salts?

i've just looked at my crowntail betta to compare.. susan's betta doesn't look swollen to me.

I think getting him nearer the surface is also a good idea, given that betas can breathe through their mouths and regulate their swim bladders that way. I think he might look a little swollen, but it's hard to say. A low concentration of salt may be worth a try.

Oh No :( I'm so Sorry your Betta Boy isn't feeling well :( I don't see any swelling though or the lump your talking about??maybe it's a tumor??I guess keeping him in shallow water and trying to keep him as comfortable as you can for now is a good start :) hope he feels better asap :)

aw poor guy :(

It looks to me like a problem with the swim bladder, which would explain why his bum is in the air. Looking at this anatomy diagram, it looks like the air has been trapped in the back chamber of the swim bladder. Definitely keep the water level low enough that he doesn't have to work too hard to reach the surface. Check the water for nitrates as this can set off SBD, and try feeding him some peas. It's most likely a side effect of constipation. Out of curiosity, do you feed him pellets?

I now have him in a basket-thinking about moving him over to an empty tank and trying epsom salt @ 1/2 tsp in a gallon(or splitting it so not too deep).

Yes,I do feed him pellets-all my bettas get crushed up Hikari betta pellets. I just tried to feed him some fbw-but he's not interested.

Do you soak the pellets before you feed them? Dry pellets are the #1 cause of constipation in bettas and there have been quite a few reported deaths as a consequence. I think he'd be more settled in his home with shallow water so I wouldn't recommend moving him or treating him with anything. Best to keep his stress levels to a minimum :) Bettas LOVE peas so hopefully it shouldn't take too much encouragement to get them down him ;)

What are you using as the dosage for epsom? Because it is 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons. I don't really understand what you said there in you last post sorry

He did finally take it out of my hands............he is gone..............He had THE most beautiful fins-like long,flowing robes :wub: :

20100713_2175.jpg?t=1283384924

20100713_2177.jpg?t=1283384977

20100713_2140.jpg?t=1283384000

20100713_2138.jpg?t=1283383936

RIP beautiful boy.........thank you for your loveliness .............. :heart :heart :heart

So sorry for you lose. RIP little fish.

I'm so sorry you lost him, What a gorgeous fish with such a sweet/grumpy little face. He had a good life with you, though, that I am sure of. RIP little Blaze.

I'm so sorry :( He was very beautiful!

Oh no :( so sorry

Susan I'm so sorry about Blaze. :hug To me it looks very much like a quick tumor, I've seen some grow that quickly and there isn't really anything to do about it. These type of tumors also seem to appear as the betta gets older. :no: You did everything you could by lowering the water level and keeping Blaze as comfortable as you could. :heart

:rip: Beautiful Blaze.

Thank you,everyone :heart Thanks for popping in,Edith :heart That did come about crazy fast! It actually makes me a little nervous about the others as I got them all about the same time. Thanks for the help and support,all :heart