My Black Moor's eye is popping out! + i think he has an infection...

milam

Thanks Alex. BTW - both of their tails seem to be mending! :) Now I have a new question....so strange to be asking this since the opposite has been happening for so long. Pika

has now been spending a lot of time toward the top of the tank - not gulping for air but.... not sure if this is normal? Maybe he is just looking for some more of the good grub. I worry

because I am pretty sure he is completely blind - if he is getting enough food.... sometimes i can put a pellet right in his mouth but most of the time he is missing them.....but I do think

he finds some at the bottom - they have pretty good smellers!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok - so.....looks like something new is developing on my Pika...those white spots seem to be growing .... like taller bigger like salt crystals almost and also seem to be spreading more.... What is this and what can we do??

http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s513/milampalmo/?action=view&current=IMG_1420.mp4

Kelly, could you please update us with your water parameters, as well as reminding us what sort of treatments might still be in the water? I'll address the white spots later today. Thanks.

a few days ago everything was perfect - I am assuming they still are...i will check again if you want but I have actually never had a problematic reading....

I believe it was a week ago you asked me to do a 50% water change and add 37.5t of salt. pika has been hsnging a lot at the top but

i just keep feeling that he is looking for food...i've been feeding him by hand but not 6 pellets as I assume he might find a few at the bottom.....i think he is completely blind and when he goes to the bottom he

has a hard time balancing to get to find food and sometimes just turns upside down.......

sorry the video is sideways.... thanx alex!

http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s513/milampalmo/?action=view&current=IMG_1423.mp4

Yes, please go ahead and check parameters. I think it's also time to do another 50% WC, and replacing the 37.5 teaspoons of salt.

I think that Pika may need to be quarantined to treat, since it may be necessary to give him a waterborne treatment. Do you have a 10g tub/tank, along with a filter that could be used for QT? An airstone would be a great addition, as well. I am think that he needs antibiotics, because the 0.3% is not doing anything to halt the growth of what looks like to be columnaris (bacterial disease)

All I have is their old 30 gal tank..... I do have a filter for that and an airstone. I'm working today but will check the perameters tonight. I still have the medi-gold - is this what we will start feeding him? Would I still do the water change on the 50 gal tank if we take him out? Also...will need specific instructions on how to put him in another tank - i assume take a bunch of the water from the 50 gal and put it in the 30 gal?

Could you get a Sterilite plastic tub from some place like Walmart? Pick one that is 10 gallons. It should be pretty cheap :)

The reason why I suggest this is because the 30 gallon is too big, and I would like to make it easier, and cheaper, for you to administer meds and do water changes. The old filter and airstone would work fine. Once you have a smaller size tub/tank, I will assist in setting it up, which really only involves having up the filter and putting in the airstone. Nothing needs to be moved or used from the current tank :)

Given that the injury is external, could you ask your local fish store what they have in terms of antibiotics for fish? We can pick something from what they have. If not, then we would have to order online. I am thinking of adding something to the water, not medicated feed.

Ok - I will look for a tub today. I have the Metro-Med that I bought when you first mentioned it - is that an anitbiotic? If not, there are no fish stores nearby so I would have to order online.

I'm really sorry to know that your fish aren't doing well. Sending you best wishes for a fast recovery of them all.

Edited by bagho

Kelly, let me know when you have the tub set up. I think you may need to order the meds, since this is something we want to just add to the water.

Thanks Alex - don't you think I should order the meds before I transfer him? I got the tub yesterday. Please tell me what to order and I will order today.

They seem to be the same. I have not added salt yet - will do that tomorrow. I will be out of town until Tuesday so the medicine should come by the time i get back. In the meantime,

my daughter will be feeding him by hand 6 pellets 2x/day. He's so cute how he eats out of your hand....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Alex ~

Sorry for the delay - i was out of town for a stint. We added the salt 4 days ago. His spirits seem to be good but the spots are still there - pretty much the same. The rest of the fish are doing really well.

I did get the medicine - so let me know if you stil want me to isolate him and add that. Thanks again.

One question...do i need to be feeding him by hand for the rest of his life??

It's possible that you may need to? Is he not able to get to his food, or is this because you want to make sure he gets some? He doesn't need site to get to the food, though :)

How are they doing? Which meds did you get?

I think he's not getting it because he goes down to the bottom to look and gets all turned around because of his eye making him all off balanced. But I should try to watch for a half hour and see if

he can actually get any. I got the one you asked me to order online - don't have it infront of me right now as I am at work.

Let him try to hunt for food on his own. Or you can hand feed him. It's a good interactive experience for both of you :)

Let me know when you know what the meds are, so I can assist and setting up the treatment. :)

Hi Alex ~ Sorry for the delay - life! Ok - the medicine is API Furan - 2.

He seems to be doing pretty well which is good.

On another note...I have noticed that Shanti - my other big one is starting to kind of sit vertical - tail down and head up sometimes..... what is that??? Its like she is just hanging out ready looking for more food

to come anytime soon....they are so happy with this new food - but now I am worrying that I might be feeding too much.......haven't been counting pellets because some are bigger and some smaller and

some fish get more and some less....... and then I try to feed Pika and he misses a lot......

I think it would be great to cut back on the food. Also, do you check your water parameters often?

Could we have some new pics and water parameters? You indicated that you had bought a tub and filter for the treatment of the moor, right? :)

OK.... so - with two larger fish and two smaller fish, with pellets that are not all the same size and one that has trouble getting food....how much do you think I should be feeding twice a day?

I will check the perameters tonight when I get home. Yes, I have a tub and an old but good filter.