Sign in to follow this  
milam

My Black Moor's eye is popping out! + i think he has an infection...

Hi Alex -

Got my Pro-Gold and my Metro-Med today - what should I do with them? Its feeding time!

I don't have easy access to Prime - unless it is sold at walmart....my least favorite place on earth.

Will look for the Pickling salt tomorrow - ran out of time today.... I am pretty sure I have hydrogen peroxide.

I just want to check one more thing with you. When you approach, do they get more active and move around? What about when you feed?

Dont worry about the eye I had a common gold fish that jump out of the net when I was moving him out of the tank he lost his eye but he was fine after worreds. His name was One Eye Jack. I have read this and I am sooo sorry that your Morror lost his or her eye. I dont think Walmart would have Prime.

thanks rdoyle for the encouragement! Yes...I think its going to fall off soon - amazing they can live with one eye!

Alex - I fed them the Pro-Gold last night and after they discovered it - they got really excited - all of them! This morning they were ALL floating around (not sitting at the bottom)

and I fed them again and they were really happy! Maybe that other food was making them down? I wouldn't be surprised.... One thing I need to know is how much to feed them of the

pellets? I have to two smaller ones and the Shanti who is probably about 10" long now and Pika who is probably about 8". Sometimes I worry they won't all get food....and I might

feed them too much.....

Off to buy salt and some kind of water conditioner today - whatever will work for now to get the chlorine out of the water when I change it next....

Oh Alex - no - generally they don't get more active - been sitting at the bottom for months.... until the new chow arrived that is!

Well, then. We know food makes a huge difference :rofl

As for how much to feed, how many times do you plan to feed them daily?

I'm very glad to hear that they are perking up! :)

See this is why I feed Pro gold... :wa:lol

I feel like yelling out to the every goldfish owner on the planet to feed their goldfish Pro Gold! :gfish: I actually think I should call them up and become a spokeswoman .... :panana

That's fantastic! :)

How many pellets are you feeding them each right now? I would aim for about 6-8 per fish per meal :)

mmmmm... i have no idea - just giving them about a.... half a teaspoon - probably too much! just want to make sure they are ALL getting some. The little guys have a harder

time "chewing" it.

alex - even though they are MUCH happier - I do still think they have some disease - so can we continue to monitor and treat?

Yes, of course! I wasn't thinking we are done :)

great - thank you! i got more salt yesterday and also the tap water conditioner to remove chlorine called "Right Start" by Jungle....all they had available near where I live.

Hi Alex - haven't heard back from you - you still there? wondering how to proceed? Remember I got the Medi Gold too..... thank you!

I mean METRO-MED! :)

Hello,

I'm still here, and will continue to monitor the thread and situation :)

How are the fish doing?

My general recommendation, as far as plan of action is concerned is to remove a little bit of gravel (one cup) every two days. Again, make sure you check water parameters to be certain that the tank cycle is kept as you go about removing the gravel. I don't think we need to medicate just yet, and I am hoping that changes to the tank + salt will be enough to help them turn around and become more active :)

How many days since you last changed the water?

Thank you! My fish seem so much happier and active.....pfewf :). Pika's eye is much worse though....really opening up and exposed- poor thing. He has been hanging out now mostly

at the top...looking for more chow I think - not sickly but interested - so nice to see him "up" rather than sitting constantly at the bottom. :)

I'll take out a cup tonight and keep check the water - I will probably just let you know if there is any change in the water parameters ok?

The last time we changed the water I think was last Sunday.

Tomorrow, I would like for you to do the following:

1. Take out another cup of gravel.

2. Do a 50% WC on the tank.

3. Dissolve and add back 37.5 level teaspoons of salt. We are keeping them at 0.3% salt for a just a tad longer :)

After tomorrow, don't take out gravel again until Sunday, and then again on Tuesday.

I'm glad to hear they are perking up so much. That's fantastic. I wish there is something more we could do with the eye, but unfortunately, I don't think there is much we can do other than keeping the tank clean, and let nature take its course.

I order some Pro Gold for my Goldies just from seeing your fish,

Alex - I have been super busy the past few days and didn't see your post until this morning - I did the change and added the salt and.....didn't get out any gravel until today sorry

to say - I totally spaced it. Wondering why just one cup every other day? Why not just take out a bunch of it or even replace it with fresh (which would be a LOT of work but you know

i would do it for my babies). I am still dreaming of getting some of that black gravel you have in your tank one day......

rdoyle - you will notice an amazing difference! I'm glad you are doing it. Watch and enjoy!

btw...pika's eye is much worse .... but i am so happy to know that he can live without it....i was worried it would kill him. after it comes off :Dont-Believe: will it heal over? it seems it would be so vulnerable.....

If you take all the gravel out at once you can have a bump in your cycle, since there might be Beneficial bacteria in it. So taking it out slowly like alex said would be the best course of action ;). I have seen fish with missing eyes before and they seem to be fine and healed nicely with great water conditions and TLC. I hope the best recovery for your finned babies ^_^

Alex is amazing and will tell you more great advice :D

Hi Kelly,

It is as Karen said. When you remove the gravel too quickly, you risk a cycle bump or crash, so take your time with it. As long as it is a cup every other day, or even longer, you should be ok. Did you do the water change yet?

Unfortunately, that eye is going to have to fall off before it it can close off. In the mean time, we are taking precautions to keep the tank clean to avoid infections, such as removing gravel, frequent big water changes, and salt :)

Also if there is bad gases in the gravel and you take it all out at one shot. You could make them really sick.

think of it, like you opening a can of rotting food and POOF right in your face, you feel ill. Well you can go and get some fresh air, goldfish can and they are swimming it it and breathing it.... :( Another reason why not to :thumb:

Thanks guys! Really helpful.

SO - back to an old issue - Shanti still has blood in her (at least I'm imagining she's female - is there a way to tell btw?) tail - what is this do you think?

The blood in the caudal (tail) fins are basically enlarged blood vessels, and it could happen because of a host of different reasons. In this case, it's likely to be from stress. By keeping water pristine and free of toxins and promoting a generally stress-free tank, you are taking steps to fix this problem. Unfortunately, it won't go away overnight, and will require some time :)