My Black Moor's eye is popping out! + i think he has an infection...

milam

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I added what you asked 25teaspoons every 12 hours for 3x ....

What is a WC? I know it to be a Water Closet which in England is a polite way of saying Bathroom! :)

I added what you asked 25teaspoons every 12 hours for 3x ....

What is a WC? I know it to be a Water Closet which in England is a polite way of saying Bathroom! :)

WC = water change ;)

Kelly, could you do a 50% water change (WC) at your earliest convenience? Then dissolve and at back 37.5 level teaspoons of salt to the aquarium. I will ask you to the same in a few days :)

OK - will do in the morning. Sorry...didn't quite understand... you asked to dissolve 37.5 teaspoons of salt - wasn't quite sure what you meant by "at back" - did you mean "add back"?

They have been sitting at the bottom most of the day.... thank you Alex!

hi alex - i did the change and added the salt today. my Pika's eye is getting worse....it looks like its just going to fall off....so hard to look at! what does he have anyway??? have you ever seen anything like this?

also - is there a way that I can get an email notification when you post??

• Supporter

hi kelly, sorry to hear your having problems with your moor, is there any chance you can get him in a container by himself and take a photoshoot particularly from above? so that we can see the fish's entire shape and how well his scales hug his body? that might give us some clues to what's happening. your water params look great as do the other fish from the video i saw. just a little bottom sitting, but that normally happnes even when there's something mildly off.

• Admin

also - is there a way that I can get an email notification when you post??

Click on profile, at the top right hand corner. it will do a pop out, then you will see "My settings" then in there is "Notification Options" :thumb:

It looked from the video that the eye sustained quite a bit of damage, and it may be that it will fall off. The wound looks very clean/uninfected, but I don't know that there is anything that can be done for that eye :(

How active are the fish?

• Supporter

the amount of blood in the tail of the other one is concerning. how long now have they been receiving antibiotics? i wonder if we are at a point of overdosing. their lethargy is concerning too.

can i ask, how well do you clean the gravel everytime you clean your tanks?

the injured eye is not good, i agree, but the blood stains in the other's tail may be a sound indicator that there is bacteria present in the tank, which will only delay the healing of the black telescope's eye.

would you begin removing ornaments and fake plants for now?

the amount of blood in the tail of the other one is concerning. how long now have they been receiving antibiotics? i wonder if we are at a point of overdosing. their lethargy is concerning too.

can i ask, how well do you clean the gravel everytime you clean your tanks?

the injured eye is not good, i agree, but the blood stains in the other's tail may be a sound indicator that there is bacteria present in the tank, which will only delay the healing of the black telescope's eye.

would you begin removing ornaments and fake plants for now?

Stakos, I agree, and the next step is to remove most of the gravel. For now, definitely no more meds, since they've been on it for a very long time.

I was waiting to make sure that the cycle held after the ich treatment before suggestion the removing of the really thick gravel. :)

Wow you guys - thank you so much! A bit of history....about a month ago I purchased this tank used..... my two larger fish were in a 30 gallon tank and I thought that maybe they

were just unhappy and needed a bigger tank. I got the tank and cleaned out the gravel but didn't replace it........just used lots of water - then filled up the tank - then I started the antibiotics

again - just hoping that Pika's eye would heal.... then I had a house/pet sitter for a week and she kept the light on the whole time and I think overfed the anitbiotics because when I came

home - the tank was all cloudy. I stopped them and cleaned out the tank... then I started to notice the Ick........ then I got in touch with Alex - the rest you know. I am waiting for the other

medicine that alex told me to buy - should come in the next two days.

I really think that the Ick came from the previous owner's fish....... do you think I should replace everything? I did replace all the plants with silk ones...as I think that the original injury of Pika

came from a plastic plant - I had no idea.....

If Pika's eye falls off...(omygawd) will he still live??? Its so intense... YES - they are sitting at the bottom most of the time - it has been this way even before I got them

their new swanky pad.....

So what next?

Hello,

I don't think that you need to replace everything, but I do think that there needs to be a bit of changes, which include:

1. Less gravel or no gravel. Ideally, you should have only a 1/4 inch layer at most, since any deeper than that and you create havens for pathogenic bacteria, repositories for wastes, and generally make it harder to clean. However, since you do have gravel in there, it should not be removed all at once, as that might kill off your cycle, or seriously bump it. So you will want to remove it slowly, such as 1 cup every couple of days.

2. No hollow ornaments. It's the same idea as #1. Hollow ornaments create places of stagnance where you could harbor baddies.

Right now, let's give it another two days to check to make sure the cycle is holding. Then we will make some changes :)

We have had instances where a fish eye, or eyes, have been eaten by another fish, and they are fine :)

Thanks Alex - you are so sweet to take this journey with me . I will start taking out one cup at a time. The Bridge I have in there ( which they like to swim under and through) is hollow on the inside...

remove it? Amazing...they can survive without the eye - that is so intense! :huh:

I wonder if it's possible for you to stick an airline tubing (connected to air pump on other end) into the bridge to force water movement though it? This way, the bridge should be safe to use, and it might look interesting with bubbles coming out of one end. :)

I did it but the bridge now just stands virtical with bubbles coming out the top....

Shanti and Pika still sitting at the bottom exept at feeding time.

So - strange - i am still not getting notifications and i can't put a profile picture up no matter what! :) oh well.....

The profile picture has to be very very small. The other thing you might do is send the pic to Koko, and ask her to help you :)

Do you have hydrogen peroxide at home? I would like to try something with one of them.

As for the bridge, weigh it down with a rock! :D

Ok - will get hydrogen peroxide today and also more salt and some stress-zyme for when I do the next water change.

About the rock... can I use any rock from outside - as long as its clean that is?

Also - please tell me how to keep my algae down - it seems to grow so quickly! I have seen these anti-algae drops but ... they're poison and I really can't stand to add it.....

Thanks again Alex!

OK. Try to get the Morton's Canning & Pickling salt if you can; it's cheaper and works just as well.

Don't get any algicide. That will likely harm your fish as well. Sometimes with algae, the tank just needs to mature for a while. In the mean time, you just have to scrub it, although we can discuss upgrades to lighting that may help.

You can use river rocks or any rock, but it needs to be boiled to disinfect, and then tested with the vinegar method. If it doesn't sizzle/foam when you pour some vinegar on it, it should be OK :)

If possible, don't get Stress-zyme. There is a water conditioner called Prime. It's made by Seachem. See if you can get that. :)

• Admin

So - strange - i am still not getting notifications and i can't put a profile picture up no matter what! :) oh well.....

please start a thread in the http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/45-forum-functions-and-how-to/ I will be able to help you there :thumb: