My Black Moor's eye is popping out! + i think he has an infection...

milam

Just one right now and its not working very well....I got a 10inch one and when I put it at the bottom of the tank just a few bubbles come through...but at least it some! I just ordered a super high powered air pump.......omg this is something else - what we do for the love of goldfish!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have photos of your goldfish somewhere? This is so funny...I have never "blogged" before but its fun to share with others who love their goldfish as much as i do....

OH wow - I love your fish....they look so happy! I wish my goldfish could be so happy. They are still sitting at the bottom like they have been for months. I noticed in your second video that you have some kind of air-stone thing at the back. What is that? I also love the black gravel...might have to get some of that! Thanks for sharing. Hey ... what do you feed your goldfish? i've just been giving them TetraFin............maybe they need something more?

Thank you very much for the kind words. My fish generally are pretty happy, although they too have their moments. Right now I am in the process of treating one for a wen ulcer, although it seems that he is finally healing up nicely, thanks to much appreciated discussions with some members of the forum and members of the moderating team. :)

The black gravel is called Tahitian Moon Sand. I use it because it's smaller, and so there is no risk of my fish choking on it. I also like the color, as it helps to contrast with the colors of the fish. You also don't need much of it, and there's only about a 1/4 inch layer of this in most places in my tank. I feed my fish a combination of cooked veggies (spinach, green beans, peas), gel food that I make myself, Pro-Gold pellets, and frozen blood worms. The airwand are black or blue bubble wands, and I have 2-3 in each tank. :)

I hope that your fish will begin to make a recovery. It will take a bit of time and effort, but I think it can be done :)

Thanks Alex for all the great tips! I have really opened up to a whole new world of the love of goldfish! I would love my fish to heal and be happy. Today they are still sitting at the

bottom of the tank but look a little bit happier! Hmmm...not sure I have the time to make their food unless you can supply a recipe? If not - is there a commercial food that I

can order that you feel would be really healthy for them and make them happy? Going to look into those bubble wands and the Tahetian Sand! :)

Have you ever seen a Black Moor in as bad of shape as mine?? I so worry sometimes that his eye is just going to fall off! Do you think we can heal him?????

Hello. Check your ammonia tomorrow and let me know. It may be that you will have to do a WC and then replace some of the salt, but I will walk you through that if you like.

How are they doing today?

As for making gel food, it sounds really intimidating, but it really isn't. It's actually a lot of fun. We have pages and pages of recipes for making gel food, and I have two links in my signature with some recipes.

We will try our best to help the moor. Now that you found us, I hope that your fishkeeping will be a lot more fun and not so stressful :)

They seem a little more lively today and are eating! Ammonia is 0. Let me know if there is anything I should do today or when to add more salt. What happens now?

Off to work today will check out the recipes tonight. Thanks again.............................. :) :)

Great! I'm glad they are better today and are eating! :D

We actually don't want to add more salt, but want to maintain it at that level for about a week or two. However, because we don't want them to be bombarded with toxic nitrogen products such as ammonia and nitrites, let's check the water daily, at least for the first week, to make sure your cycle is intact. When you do water change, then you will want to add back a certain amount of salt, to keep it at this 0.3% that you now have. I will assist with that when the time comes :)

Ok will do! Will update you daily.

Can you tell me from your experience why fish are generally sitting at the bottom of the tank? They had been doing this a lot even before I discovered the Ick and my Black Moor's (Pika) eye problems.....Maybe they have had a parasite for much longer?? Thank you SO much! :goldfish:

There are a number of reasons why a fish could be bottom sitting, including toxic water, parasites, and other infections. It's a sign that the fish is feeling unwell. We usually have to try to distinguish between different possibilities, starting with the water quality. That's why we always harp on test kits and checking often. If the tank water is not good, then any treatment we attempt is just going to go to waste.

OK - today my nitrate test is 0 ( just got a nitrate test!) , my ammonia test is 0 and my PH is 7.5. My black Moor ( Pika ) is still sitting at the bottom with his eye almost

falling off ( I would sit at the bottom too!) my Larger Moor ( Shanti) swims around but she is sitting with Pika....sometimes I really feel she is depressed because Pika

is so sick...she just sits with him with her fin over him for a while and then tries to get him to move or just sits with him....it breaks my heart. Thanks again Alex! - Kelly

Milam, do you have Metro-Meds on hand? I am just trying to inventory what you have.

Salt is still at 0.3%, correct?

May we have a video uploaded?

What are Metro-Meds and where do I order them? The only thing i have is Medi-Gold. I haven't added anymore salt so I assume its still 3%? I will upload a video a bit later.

Kelly

Hi Kelly, Metro-Meds can be ordered from goldfishconnection.com, the same place you get the Medi-Gold. Metro-Meds has a panel of relatively milder antibiotics, but nevertheless extremely effective :)

Yes, you should! Pro-Gold is my favorite pellet food of all time! :rofl

Also, thank you for the video! Let's give them a few more days of just pristine healing water, and then let's start systematically trying to figure this out. It may be that the eye will be wonky like that for the rest of his life, but it should be fine otherwise :)

Alex - today they were swimming around a bit more but are now sitting at the bottom. I think they are starting to feel better! Waiting for the meds. Thanks again. Kelly

Hi Kelly! I'm very happy to hear of the improvements! Fins crossed.

I have a couple of questions. Are they in 0.3% salt now? How many teaspoons of salt have you added total? I am thinking they will benefit from a water change, but want to know where you are with salt so I can make the right suggestion for amount to dissolve and add back.

Could you please do a water parameter check for me and post results? I want to make sure their water is perfect during this time of healing :)

Hi Alex!

Nitrate: 0

Ammonia: 0

PH: 7.5

:clapping:

I haven't added any salt since we did all the salt last weekend. Should I add more?? Change out some water?