My Black Moor's eye is popping out! + i think he has an infection...

milam

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just saw your post - I stopped the filter when I put the Ich medication in - so those are ok. I did clean out the filter system though. May I ask how we are planning on treating the parasite? I noticed those white crystals are now on my big golden Moor - + her tail is starting to rot..... the other two little new ones seem fine right now. I will try to upload a video now. Thanks again you guys.

OH - how much salt do I put in? I can use what I have here for now. I don't have any other water conditione except the API Stress Coat+. I will order some Seachem Prime.

We are going to treat with salt at 0.3%. Did you see my post about getting salt? You are going to need quite a bit of over the next couple of weeks, so get a couple of boxes of the Morton's.

Also, we need to check you parameters to see where you are with that.

How long did you stop the filters? They need to be rinsed well in de-chlorinated water. Do they smell at all? Are the filters up and running?

Do you have 25 teaspoons of salt at present? You will need another 50 in the next 24 hours.

Edited by dnalex

I stopped the filters for about two days - stopped BEFORE adding any medication - yes they were rinsed. Yes, I have 25 teaspoons of salt + I have some Celtic Sea Salt -

would that work too?

PH - 7

Ammonia - 0

Don't have a nitrate test - waiting for a friend to call me back to see if i could borrow his.

Why don't you dissolve the salt and add it to the tank? Twelve hours later, you will need to dissolve another 25 teaspoons and add it. Then repeat, one more time. After that you are at 0.3%, the concentration needed to treat ich.

What temp is your tank, do you know? Do you have a heater?

Ok dissolving the salt! I don't know the temperature - i do have a heater - should I add it? (Ive never used one before just inherited it when I bought this used tank).

What does it say on the ingredients on the box? I am 99.9% certain that you should not use this. It has caking agents etc. You need to get the Morton's Pickling & Canning salt, which does not contain any additives.

Pure sea salt would work. Basically the guideline here is that you can use any salt (sodium chloride) provided that it does not have anything added to it.

Sea salt should work fine, and it should be much cheaper than the aquarium salt, which just gets the price inflated.

The reason why I suggested stopping Medi-Gold is that sometimes the red in the fins can occur when they have been on medications for too long. Medi-Gold is a very strong cocktail of antibiotics, so let's give them a break. The salt should help a lot, and then we can decide after a couple of days, when we can see what's really going on, now that the strong meds have been removed.

Edited by dnalex

Your awesome! So cool you know all this. OK so I will give pure sea salt tomorrow am and then again in 12 more hours. Did you see my question about the heaters? Also - did you see the video?

I did the see your response, and at this time, I don't actually think you need to use it. I would just like to for them to be in good clean water + salt for a some time. This will help them heal :)

Just make sure you update us as often as you like, and if things worsen by any chance, make sure you let us know right away and upload pics and/or video.

Thanks again! Cool. OK...sorry ...one more question - do I need any kind of aeration stone/ source?? This has always been a concern for me - thinking they're not getting

enough air...we live at 8,500feet.... they seem to like swimming amongst the bubbles.

How many airstones/bubble wands do you have in the tank? Considering the altitude of your residence, I would think that adding extras wouldn't hurt. There is such a thing as saturation disease, but I think you would have to work extremely hard at it.