Is Chemi-Pure Good As Carbon For Filtration?

I have bought this carbon and was told it contains liquid of some kind:

QddhYl.jpg

Package says it comes with nylon sack which lasts from 4-6 months. I was offered 2 times cheaper carbon but packaging didn't instill trust so i chose this one:

http://www.chemi-pure.com/prd_am/product/idproduct=1

I could as well add $2-$3 more and get elite version which supposed to be better or just marketing gimmick?

http://www.chemi-pure.com/prd_am/product/idproduct=3

What do you think people? Did anybody try this one? Should i have bought 2 times cheaper carbon?

I wouldn't bother. I feel it is a marketing gimmick. Good old sponges and bio-media (ceramic rings, beads, etc) and regular weekly water changes are all you need for a healthy tank. You don't need carbon at all.

Edited by Red

My husband had chemi-pure elite in his saltwater tank, and it came very highly recommended. But it turned out to just be a HUGE mess. Every time he did a water change, he had to take it out and rinse the heck out of it, and it always left this disgusting black foggy water in the bucket he rinsed it in. And this was after rinsing it for a good 15 minutes when he first got it, so it wasn't just the stuff you need to rinse off filter media when you open the package. Maybe the stuff he was rinsing off was the stuff it pulled out of his tank; I don't know. But it was alarmingly voluminous and dark. I have never seen anything like it. And I personally wouldn't put it in my tank.

I am definitely one for no chemicals in the tank, and I would definitely not feel safe putting this in my filter. Besides, when you change the cartridge every couple weeks, you will lose most of your cycle :(

Fang made a great article about HOB filter media setup a little while back, and I think that you're better off with some ceramic rings and filter floss :)

I am also a big proponent of no chemicals in the tank. I only had carbon in when I had unexplainable cloudy water, and once that vanished, I took it out. then I put some more back in after a recent Prazi treatment, and will be taking it out again soon. it's always good to keep some on hand just in case (eg. removing meds), but I would not keep chemical filtration in my filters on an everyday basis. additionally, chemical filter media takes up room that could be given to more bio media - you can never have too many ceramic rings and bio balls, right?!

edit: just had a look at the Chemi-Pure website...

Chemi-Pure quickly filters excess waste nutrients that bacteria feed on, stopping bacteria build up and clearing your tank. Most fish tanks and aquariums become cloudy, dirty or murky as bacteria consume waste and multiply, clouding up the water.

hang on, don't we want bacteria eating up nutrients and multiplying? obviously not the bad kind, but this makes me think it might do too much absorbing of apparently waste nutrients - what if it ended up starving your colonies of good bacteria? if you were having problems with 'excess waste nutrients' then it sounds to me more like a problem with overfeeding that shouldn't be 'fixed' by starving bacteria.

- Provides positive neurological reactions in fish, mimicking a natural environment

- Increases fish life span

these two points jumped out at me, just because I'm kind of thinking, how on earth would it do this/how would they know?

honestly, I don't believe in using any sort of chemical media to replace water changes.

Edited by cathface