Sign in to follow this  
musterbeard

How To Make Hardened Silicone Gasket From Aquarium-Safe Silicone?

I have gaps in this cover's sealing, because of torn rubber gasket:

a6fOHl.jpg

You can see gap between cover and aquarium's body it seals to:

7EdIrl.jpg

Aquarium shop seller told me that i don't need special hardened silicone to pull this off so i bought this aquarium-safe silicone:

KlXlVl.jpg

Text is in hebrew but if to translate to english, it goes like this:

Silicone For Aquarium

• Absolutely non-poisonous
  • Stays transparent and flexible
  • Highly resistant against sun rays
  • Perfect adhesion to glass

Do you think people this will work? Maybe there is aquarium-safe hardened silicone that after smearing hardens and creates hardened gasket? Now why i keep mentioning "hardened"? Because i don't want to remove (or scrape?) silicone every time want to disassemble cover to change fluorescent bulb (yes there is a bulb inside) or to clean inside, so i thought about having hardened gasket to use time and time again as i assemble and disassemble cover.

In my experience using silicone it has always stuck like crazy to anything I put it on, You could end up digging, poking and scraping for hours just to find that you ruined your seal. Now I'm wondering if you could use something like petroleum jelly to lightly coat the mold so it wouldn't adhere to the mold, kind of like using Crisco or butter on a cooking pan, you could do a sample run.

One other idea could be to use aquarium air line tubing, cut it to fit and then join the ends with a fitting, an then seal any end gap with that silicone. The fitting might create a slight lump in the tubing though, I don't know how perfect your mating surface needs to be.

Now I'm wondering if you could use something like petroleum jelly to lightly coat the mold so it wouldn't adhere to the mold, kind of like using Crisco or butter on a cooking pan, you could do a sample run.

Thanks Jeff. Can i use sunflower oil or vaseline? First i smear siliconon cover, then i wait until it dries and finally i smear the formers.

One of those may work, apply the oil first, just a light coat, and then pour your silicone. Hopefully it will help you pull the silicone out of the mold without sticking, then you could clean the oil you used off of the cover. You could do a test by putting down some sunflower oil or vaseline on a test surface, then put a bead of silicone on the surface and let it dry, then see if the sunflower oil or vaseline prevents the silicone from sticking to the surface when you pull it off.

One of those may work, apply the oil first, just a light coat, and then pour your silicone. Hopefully it will help you pull the silicone out of the mold without sticking, then you could clean the oil you used off of the cover. You could do a test by putting down some sunflower oil or vaseline on a test surface, then put a bead of silicone on the surface and let it dry, then see if the sunflower oil or vaseline prevents the silicone from sticking to the surface when you pull it off.

How about smearing silicone on cover first, on rubber to be exact, building a few milimeters up and forming silicone so it won't go off edges. Then waiting one day at most until silicone was formed and only then smear a light coat of oil on it?

I did silicone molding at an old job of mine and we used to line the molds with a heavy layer of wax in order to keep the material from sticking.

I did silicone molding at an old job of mine and we used to line the molds with a heavy layer of wax in order to keep the material from sticking.

Now THAT is a good idea! :)

Where can i get mold?

Where can i get mold?

Mold, like when people pour something in to a mold to get a desired shape, that kind of mold. Can you use the cover as a reference to get the desired shape you want? Is there a recessed groove in the cover that you can pour the silicone into? If so, that can be your mold. That is what I'm talking about, you might want to lubricate the groove if you have one, otherwise the silicone might stick to it when you try to pull it out after it dries. Using wax sounds like a good idea.