Stalled fishless cycle?

• Admin

Even with the API Proper pH 7.5, my water still went up to 8.2 by this morning. :( This will mean definitely having to use a buffer, right? I don't know anything about buffering, how it works, or what the best type to use is, so any information would be appreciated! I will also try to read up on them myself. :)

Ok and we did this in a gallon jug right? If so lets to a test.... Double the amount of the API proper in there and test in 24 hours.

A buffer normally will make the water harder and the ph to go up. So we arent looking for a buffer in a since we are looking for a softener.

How is the cycling doing though hun? What are the numbers now? :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koko, what about something like the API Proper Ph buffer? I am not totally sure how these work, but on the API site it says they will lower or raise Ph until it hits the advertised Ph and it locks it in. For some reason something like this (if it works like it says it does!) sounds more stable than the Ph down drops. There's a 7.5 proper Ph, which would be perfect given your tap reading. Here's a link: http://www.apifishca...?TechSheetID=34

This did NOT work when I was trying to LOWER my Ph w/ it.

Koko, what about something like the API Proper Ph buffer? I am not totally sure how these work, but on the API site it says they will lower or raise Ph until it hits the advertised Ph and it locks it in. For some reason something like this (if it works like it says it does!) sounds more stable than the Ph down drops. There's a 7.5 proper Ph, which would be perfect given your tap reading. Here's a link: http://www.apifishca...?TechSheetID=34

This did NOT work when I was trying to LOWER my Ph w/ it.

bummer :( I was skeptical about the claims of this product being able to lower the Ph and keep it stable. It would be great if it worked as it claims though!

I hope you kept the receipt Graycee? :)

Yes,it would be! I do believe my water is VERY hard however. Just recently I tried SeaChem's version of this,and I had added 1.5 bottles of it-and nada.

Ok and we did this in a gallon jug right? If so lets to a test.... Double the amount of the API proper in there and test in 24 hours.

A buffer normally will make the water harder and the ph to go up. So we arent looking for a buffer in a since we are looking for a softener.

How is the cycling doing though hun? What are the numbers now? :)

I did it in a 5 gallon since it would be easier for me to measure out, and even with the doubled dose... no luck. :( I'm wondering if it would be easier, for both me and the fish, to raise the pH of the water i'm adding into the tank to 8.2 instead of trying to match the tap water? I know 7.5 is a better pH for the fish, but i think i've seen plenty of people who have higher pH that do alright? I don't know if that really is easier or better, but it's just a thought! :)

The cycling is about the same. I have been seeing a little higher ammonia in the water since i added the plants so I have been adding less ammonia from the bottle. Nitrites are somewhere between 2ppm and 5ppm, but there is a definite difference there. :)

I hope you kept the receipt Graycee? :)

I actually bought the packets so that if it didn't work, i wasn't stuck with the bottle of it. So it worked out perfect! :)

Yes,it would be! I do believe my water is VERY hard however. Just recently I tried SeaChem's version of this,and I had added 1.5 bottles of it-and nada.

Do you have a difference between your tap water and your tank water? How do you handle it?

• Admin

Well yes goldfish can deal with the Ph. I was just hoping to lower it so to cycle the tank faster for you. But Im thinking your water is so hard, there isnt a way to lower it once it starts to get air in the water.

So now we just work on cycling the tank with a a high ph level, which will take longer. Also since the ph will raise on you, the best thing to do is let your water age. This way the ph will go up to 8.2 before you place it in the tank.

How much ammonia are we adding now... Just want to get an idea how much the tank is consuming :thumb:

It should be easy enough for me to age my water... especially since it doesn't take long for the pH to raise. So... I could age 2, 5 gallon tubs at a time. If I do this twice weekly, I'd be doing about a 90% water change total, right? Would that work? Thanks for everything, you guys have really made this whole process so much easier! :heart

I'm still only adding the 1ppm of ammonia and seeing 0 to .25ppm when i check.

I tested my Nitrates today and they were 160ppm or higher... should i do a water change or leave it since I have the plants in there? My ammonia was between 0 and .25ppm. Nitrites were between 2 and 5. pH is holding steady at 8.2. :)

• Admin

I tested my Nitrates today and they were 160ppm or higher... should i do a water change or leave it since I have the plants in there? My ammonia was between 0 and .25ppm. Nitrites were between 2 and 5. pH is holding steady at 8.2. :)

Now that Great news .... Yeah Nitrates :panana

Yes do a 50% water change hun. and add 1/2 ammonia amount.... Then lets see how it is in 24 hours. :)

It should be easy enough for me to age my water... especially since it doesn't take long for the pH to raise. So... I could age 2, 5 gallon tubs at a time. If I do this twice weekly, I'd be doing about a 90% water change total, right? Would that work? Thanks for everything, you guys have really made this whole process so much easier! :heart

I'm still only adding the 1ppm of ammonia and seeing 0 to .25ppm when i check.

If you have 3 5gallon tubs this would make it 50% water change. :thumb:

Yay!! :D We're seeing improvement! :D I did the water change and added the ammonia yesterday evening, so i will test again tonight and let you know what i discover! Hopefully it will be good news. ;)

3 tubs would a bit of a hassle with the way i have everything set up, it would have to mean i get another air pump and put buckets on the floor -- which i can't do since my dogs will drink out of them. :P But! I will just go get one 10 gallon to make it the 15. :) I should really have a 10 for quarantine as it is. I did a little experiment out of curiosity and it only takes 4 hours for my water to go from 7.4/7.6 to 8.2, so it will be extremely easy for me to set up the buckets anytime for the water changes. :thumbs:

• Admin

Yay!! :D We're seeing improvement! :D I did the water change and added the ammonia yesterday evening, so i will test again tonight and let you know what i discover! Hopefully it will be good news. ;)

3 tubs would a bit of a hassle with the way i have everything set up, it would have to mean i get another air pump and put buckets on the floor -- which i can't do since my dogs will drink out of them. :P But! I will just go get one 10 gallon to make it the 15. :) I should really have a 10 for quarantine as it is. I did a little experiment out of curiosity and it only takes 4 hours for my water to go from 7.4/7.6 to 8.2, so it will be extremely easy for me to set up the buckets anytime for the water changes. :thumbs:

That was a great test. So this way we know how to do a massive water change :thumb: Good Job hun :)

Ok keep me posted, this is awesome news :panana

Numbers are in! *drum roll*...... and i'm still getting .25ppm ammonia. :( I think i might check my plants to see if there's any hidden rotting leaves. However! On a much better note! Only .5ppm of Nitrites! :D

Definite progress!

that's great news about the nitrites! :)

Thanks!! :clapping: I couldn't imagine if i was just now seeing nitrites for the first time like with your tank. You must have some great patience. :P

lol. it wasn't easy that's for sure! I was glad to have kokos to entertain/educate me while I was waiting :D

that's great news about the nitrites! :)

Thanks!! :clapping: I couldn't imagine if i was just now seeing nitrites for the first time like with your tank. You must have some great patience. :P

lol. it wasn't easy that's for sure! I was glad to have kokos to entertain/educate me while I was waiting :D

I definitely feel the same way! :P

This is GREAT news :clapping:

How are the nitrates?

Thanks! :D

Today my readings were:

Ammonia - .25ppm

Nitrite - .5ppm

Nitrate - between 80 and 160ppm. Very dark still.

I am considering taking the log and the plant out of the tank for a day or two to see if i get better ammonia readings. Do you think it would make a difference?

• Admin

Oh no hun.... your right on the edge of being done. I would do a small water change of 30% to get the nitrates down alittle. Then I would do a half dose of ammonia then test in 24 hours.... Your so close so so close :thumb:

• Admin

Oh you are but with the plants in there, they are speeding it up faster for you. So doing a water change and only doing half ammonia, I want to see if it will kick it all the way through now :thumb:

Thats what I mean... So so close. :crying:

Thats what I mean... So so close. :crying:

Haha! That's exactly how i'm starting to feel! I haven't really thought about getting a fish, but now it's all surging in at once. I am so used to seeing my tank empty I feel as though i'll be mesmerized once there's a fish in it! :popcorn

I took pictures of the reading today just to make sure i'm seeing the right numbers. My Nitrates still seem high to me. :hummm

Ammonia:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/jk10611/DSC03082.jpg

Nitrites:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/jk10611/DSC03085.jpg

Nitrate:

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/jk10611/DSC03086.jpg

And... one of my tank! Just for fun because i finally got my background finished (although it's hard to see in this picture.) :D

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o542/jk10611/DSC03078.jpg

• Admin

Oh so so pretty....

Ok the ammonia looks like 0 to me

Nitrites look .5 to me

Nitrates are 80.

Ok so lets to a 50% water change an add in 1/2 ammonia to the tank... Then test :thumb:

Thanks, Koko! I had a hard time finding a layout that i liked, but I'm very happy with this one. :)

I wonder if i've been getting zero ammonia readings this whole time... to me that looks like .25? I'm sure you guys have a much more trained eye, though. :P

I did the 50% change this evening, so i will check tomorrow night and let you know the numbers. Fingers crossed!!

Sorry I am posting so late, it has been a very long day! Anywho, the numbers for today. :)

Ammonia: I'm still having a hard time differentiating between .25 and 0, but it was the same color as yesterday.

Nitrite: .25ppm! Closer!!!! :D

Nitrates: Between 20 and 40.

I'm getting so excited! I'm going to a really nice fish shop on Tuesday (eeeee!) and i'm hoping to find some beauties. :heart