Stalled fishless cycle?

• Admin

Ok Log alittle bigger than I was thinking of.... More like the small pieces you can tie a plant to :thumb: big one like that scare me cause of the hollow spots :(

Lets do this since there isnt fish in there..... Oh and your water is very hard, meaning its not going to adjust down on you. :thumb:

So, I would do is test the ph now, do a water change with the tap, Dont adjust the PH but test the ph out of tap again. Then in 24 hours after your normal adding ammonia. Test again. I want to see how the tank will do and how the ph adjusts its self and would it be okay when the fish are in it....

Make since :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem, i don't see any hollow spots, but i can have my Dad chop it into a few smaller pieces. :)

I'm glad to hear my water will be stable! One less thing to worry about. :P

So what i'm doing is testing the pH of both the tap and tank, adding tap out of the faucet, adding my ammonia and seeing what my water will do. Correct?

Okay! All kinds of params for ya today. :P

Yesterday, 4-26

Tank:

pH - 7.6

pH High - 8.2

Tap:

pH - 7.6

pH High - 7.4

Today, 4-27

pH - 7.6

pH High - 8.2

Ammonia - .25ppm

Nitrite - 5ppm

Nitrate - around 80

I haven't added any of the log yet. It's still leaking an awful lot of tannin's. Do you think it will be enough for to handle the pH swing?

• Admin

Is the log socking in a bucket by its self ?

It might be hard to see, but you could do a test with the log... Test the water with the log in it, This way we can see how its effecting the ph for now.

Your water is very interesting. It just raises.

So for tonight lets add the ammonia in, no water change :thumb:

Mhm, i have the log soaking in a plastic tub by itself. The water is still coming out pretty dark so i don't know how well the test would work out... but I'll give it a try! Hm... i hope we can find out why my water is raising. :why: I don't think i'm doing the tests wrong after all this time. I have my 2 bubble bars cranked up about as high as they'll go right now. Do you think i should try turning them down and seeing if it makes any difference? I don't know if that's a silly suggestion or not... Lol. :P

• Admin

yeah i dont think you can see the color if its that dark still. :( hummm

Im trying to keep away from the ph down. So for now lets just keep putting your ammonia in and test every 24 hours. Then once the log is down changing the water color :lol we can do a test :thumb:

Hey Koko! I tested my tub with the wood in it today as it's starting to lighten up. It had been soaking for 18+ hours, so hopefully that was enough? Anyways, here are the numbers!

pH - 7.6

High - 7.8

I don't know if the high is correct since it is a slightly tea color on the chart and the water still had a bit of tint to it. So I am guessing betwern 7.4 and 7.8. Is this a bad sign since it's the same as the tap??

• Admin

Actually its good, since normally your water will jump to 8.2 hun. So if the water with the logs is staying at 7.8. This might help us keep the ph down and now up. :thumb:

Ok so how are the tank readings? I want to see once you get log mostly clean, we might want to add it to the tank. Then test from there. But I want to make sure what the levels are first hun :)

• Admin

Oh, I didn't have the bubble wand going in the tub. :S

Do you want me to do that first before adding it to the tank to see the difference?

Oh yes.. Great idea hun..

How is the water today in the tank?

I am just now getting the bubble wand in the tub tonight, so hopefully good news tomorrow!

My params are still looking the same. I'm seeing .25ppm or slightly less ammonia and 5ppm Nitrites. I haven't seen my Nitrates or pH rising at all.

• Admin

Ok It looks like the only way to lower it is to use like a ph down, but this can be tricky. So its going be harder to cycle but once it does it will be stable. :thumb:

Do you have any live plants? If so could you get a few, this will help us get it going more. Plants will help in cycling a tank hun :)

I would do your ammonia again. Dont Change the water. :) When you can and the water from the logs is more clear go ahead and add them in :thumb:

Koko, what about something like the API Proper Ph buffer? I am not totally sure how these work, but on the API site it says they will lower or raise Ph until it hits the advertised Ph and it locks it in. For some reason something like this (if it works like it says it does!) sounds more stable than the Ph down drops. There's a 7.5 proper Ph, which would be perfect given your tap reading. Here's a link: http://www.apifishcare.com/Products/TechSheet.aspx?TechSheetID=34

Hi Koko, I wasn't sure about adding the plants in while putting in the ammonia, but i will get some next time i'm in town! :)

Tithra - I'm really interested in this! Hopefully someone else will chime in and let us know what they think of it. If nothing else, i can always give it a try and let you guys know. :P

• Admin

Hi Koko, I wasn't sure about adding the plants in while putting in the ammonia, but i will get some next time i'm in town! :)

Tithra - I'm really interested in this! Hopefully someone else will chime in and let us know what they think of it. If nothing else, i can always give it a try and let you guys know. :P

Hun.... I would give it a try. I know API makes really good products. We could do a test run in a bucket again, this way we know whats going to happen before using it in the tank :thumb:

Great find Tithra :thumb: Thank you :)

I wasn't able to make it to town yesterday, but i am going today after work. But! On a good note! I think my nitrites might be starting to go down! Before when I did the test it would start off dark purple right away, now it starts out blue and gradually turns purple. Still dark, but i don't think as dark. Yay! :D

• Admin

I wasn't able to make it to town yesterday, but i am going today after work. But! On a good note! I think my nitrites might be starting to go down! Before when I did the test it would start off dark purple right away, now it starts out blue and gradually turns purple. Still dark, but i don't think as dark. Yay! :D

Now that is a good Note :panana

Even with the API Proper pH 7.5, my water still went up to 8.2 by this morning. :( This will mean definitely having to use a buffer, right? I don't know anything about buffering, how it works, or what the best type to use is, so any information would be appreciated! I will also try to read up on them myself. :)