Stalled fishless cycle?

• Admin

You ammonia looks to be .5

your Nitrates look like it could be 20 or 40 but its hard to tell.

I would say do another 1.0 ppm ammonia again. Then if you can please test 24 hours and let me know. Right now we are kinda logging it down and helping if we need to change the water or not. Your doing good :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ammonia looks to be .5

your Nitrates look like it could be 20 or 40 but its hard to tell.

I would say do another 1.0 ppm ammonia again. Then if you can please test 24 hours and let me know. Right now we are kinda logging it down and helping if we need to change the water or not. Your doing good :)

Okay, i'm glad i'm not the only one who has a hard time telling the difference sometimes. :P

I will add the ammonia in a few minutes and make sure i post tomorrow. And thank you, it's nice to hear that when you're not exactly sure what you're doing. :heart

I accidently over dosed the ammonia a little bit yesterday and got a reading of 2ppm ammonia. :oops: Today it was 1ppm and all the other params were the same. So what do you think the next step should be?? My boyfriend picked up some Nutrafin Cycle for me, he saw me looking at some when we were at the LFS. :P It was a very sweet gesture, but do you think it is too late to add it now? Let me know. :)

that's sweet of him! Definitely add the nutrafin :) It helped my cycle when I was stalled. It's not a guarantee, but it may help. And 2 ppm is just fine, 1-2 ppm is the ideal range for this point in your cycle.

It was sweet, but knownig him I think he just wants me to get a fish so i'll stop talking about it. :P Little does he know, i'll just start obsessing over one particular goldfish. :rofl Should I do all three days of the Nutrafin? Should i do a water change or anything?

Do whatever the new tank instructions are, and I wouldn't do a water change while you are dosing the nutrafin, just to maximize the amount of the product that gets run through the filter media :)

Today was the third day of adding the Nutrafin, so i figure i'd test the parameters. This is what i got:

Ammonia: .25ppm

Nitrite: 5ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

pH: 8.4

Do you think i should just keep adding the Nutrafin? Or is it time for a water change? There is still no sign of the KH/GH test. :( I'm going to go check the field soon... we live on top of a hill and our packages are natorious for blowing into the field if the mail person doesn't put it at our front door. :doh11:

Oh, nope, I'm sorry. :oops: I just went back and looked at what i wrote and it's still at 8.2. I know it's lower from the tap, either 7.4 or High Range or 7.2 regular. I don't know which one to go with. :idont Would you like me to test the tap again? As for what's in my tank, a few silk plants with rocks glued (with aquarium silicone) to them, some clear glass marbles and two marble horse heads.

Edited by GoldfishGraycee

• Admin

Ok I need you to do one last test for me.... Get a jug put some tap water in there and let it run with just an air stone. I want to see if your water is moving up on its own or maybe the rocks are doing this. If its the water I worry about any ph changing that much.

Since this is fishless. i would like to say let the tank sit for 24 hours. Then test in the morning. Lets see if it can catch up to its self. :thumb:

• Admin

Thanks, Koko. :) I feel like I'm screwing up, but I know this is tricky and you guys have been awesome. :heart. How long should I leave the jug with the airstone in it before testing?

24 hours hun.... Nah no messed up hun. Everyones water is different. Trust me.

When I lived in CA I had very hard water my ph never moved. I moved to OR and now I have to use a buffer or my fish will slowly die. I lost one after 3 months of being here. All do to the fluctuating ph :( Do I want to make sure you dont end up in some ph rollercoster ride :thumb:

Hey! Sorry i'm a day later. Water params for yesterday

Tank:

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 5ppm

Tub:

Reg. pH - 7.6

High pH - 8.2

I added ammonia back up to 1ppm yesterday after the zero reading.

Tank:

Ammonia - barely .25ppm, but not quite yellow enough to be 0ppm

Nitrite - 5ppm

Tub:

Reg. pH - 7.6

High pH - 8.2

So it's definitely the bubbles/gases in my water then, right?

I'm sorry to hear you lost your fish, Koko. =( I appreciate you making sure it doesn't happen to me, too!

Yeah, I was gonna say that most kokos recommendations can't be found in lfs, petco, or wallyworld in my area. I buy most things at amazon and ebay.

Like tithra, it took me 2 1/2 -3 mos for my tanks to cycle, one with fish, one without.

• Admin

Hey! Sorry i'm a day later. Water params for yesterday

Tank:

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 5ppm

Tub:

Reg. pH - 7.6

High pH - 8.2

I added ammonia back up to 1ppm yesterday after the zero reading.

Tank:

Ammonia - barely .25ppm, but not quite yellow enough to be 0ppm

Nitrite - 5ppm

Tub:

Reg. pH - 7.6

High pH - 8.2

So it's definitely the bubbles/gases in my water then, right?

I'm sorry to hear you lost your fish, Koko. =( I appreciate you making sure it doesn't happen to me, too!

Yeah its the bubbles/ gases, your right. So in your case you could add the plants attached to the logs. The logs will help keep the ph alittle lower. But Im talking about is the small guys...

Like this in stakos's tank.

Even smaller ones are best. This is just an option. As long as we know that its just the way your water is and it doesnt go any higher. If it starts to get to that 8.6ppm, we will need to buff it down.

Ok so that out of the way, I want you to do the same thing again with the ammonia and report your readings tomorrow hun. :thumb:

Okay, i will start looking for some! 1 med. sized one or 2 smaller sized ones would work well in 30? Will the plants be okay going through the cycling process?

I will reprot back tomorrow with the water params. :) Thanks again!!

Yeah, I was gonna say that most kokos recommendations can't be found in lfs, petco, or wallyworld in my area. I buy most things at amazon and ebay.

Like tithra, it took me 2 1/2 -3 mos for my tanks to cycle, one with fish, one without.

Sheesh, that is such a long time! I am on my 5th week i think, so that's not too bad really. I am quickly learning that it is usually much easier and faster to just buy any needed items offline instead of donig the run around with all the chain or mom and pop stores. :P

I third tithra and smurfishy. It took me 2 whole months to finish my cycle!

I just hope I never have to go through it again, EVER. *crossing my fingers really tightly"

There were days where I thought 'man, I'm never getting this tank cycled.' LOL

I third tithra and smurfishy. It took me 2 whole months to finish my cycle!

I just hope I never have to go through it again, EVER. *crossing my fingers really tightly

There were days where I thought 'man, I'm never getting this tank cycled.' LOL

Haha! I can imagine! That is a long time to wait for anything!! As much as i really want this to go fast so i can get a fish, i'm glad i'm getting the time to learn. =)

Koko, my water params today were:

Ammonia - a definite .25ppm

Nitrite - 5ppm

Nitrate - still between 20 and 40.

Thanks, Koko. :) 2 quick questions:

Before i do the water change i have to bring the pH of the water i'm adding back up to 8.2, correct?

I got a piece of mopani wood, it's about 10" long and 4" at the wides part, is this sufficient size?

Got my KH/GH test! The test results are as follows:

Tap:

KH - 15 drops, so >214.8

GH - 1 drop, 17.9

Tank:

KH - 15 drops, >214.8

GH - 1 drop, 17.9

I think I did the GH right... it was never orange and it was very light green when looking down the tube on a white piece of paper. Just in case, i did 2 (35.8) drops and the green just darkened. I haven't done a water change yet... i still don't know if i should raise the pH or if it would be fine to just add from the tap. Hope this information helps!