Sign in to follow this  
spillie

Mr. Henry Betta is in a bad way...

Well, I had quite a shock today. The last two days Mr. Henry Betta has been hiding in his betta log a lot. I did not think much of it, but when I went to change his water, I found that his tail and dorsal fins were clamped and in shockingly bad condition. Just a few days ago I was inspecting his tail (as he is a tail biter, I was hoping the new tank location next to the goldfish tank, where he has been 5 or 6 weeks, would keep him interested enough in the outside world to leave his tail alone) and was pleased that it was in the best shape it has been for months. Now, he has huge amounts of it gone and his fins are all ragged (kind of looks like a ragged feather), thin and, as I said, clamped. Even when I showed him the mirror, he did not flare. He's a half moon, but now the poor guy could only be called a cresent moon if his tail is to be described.

In his planted 3.5 G tank, I noticed that one of the anubias had a thick wad of jelly like goo around one of its stems. That went into PP, the tank is going to be nuked, and now he is in a different tank with no live plants and a small airstone on a weak pump. When I was preparing all this he was in a plastic box for a bit and was lying on bottom looking so still that I thought for a moment he had died. I am usually an advocate of new water and salt first, but in this case I decided to treat him right away with Furan-2. I have no idea what precipated this. He looks dramatically worse than he did when he had fin rot before--that was just at the edges. Now he look absolutely shredded. But, there was nothing for him to catch his tail on except the anubias roots possibly (filter is a small one, current set to low, and has a guard on the intale--and I have never seen him resting against the intake or anything)--and this is more than a torn tail. He has 50% of his water changed weekly, was in a heavily planted tank (java fern, anubias, and some grassy stem plants--all the bettas have a combo of these), and had a cycled filter (which I did not put in the QT, as I am guessing the Furan-2 will kill the BBs). I tested the water he was in --0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates. I add a bit of liquid ferts, excel, and Betta Spa (IAL) every week when I change the water, plus prime of course, nothing new this past week from the usual. He is now swimming around in his QT, which makes me feel more hopeful. But my goodness--what could have brought this on?

aww poor baby :( I do hope he feels better asap :)

when I rescued a very badly tail chewed betta from someone who will remain un named I kept him in my kitchen on my table in a bowl and did daily water changes, sometime's just good clean water and more attention is all they need :) and NOT ALL betta's are happy with lots of room ;) sometimes less is more ;) just my humble opinion ;)

Well, I have to say from looking on the edge of death a few hours ago, he is more active now in his new cube tank than he was recently in the long narrow rectangular one. He started out in a smaller rectangular tank that was 10" long (about 2 G) then in the longer 17" x 6" 3.5 G, now in a 4 G cube. Something was amiss in the tank he was in, for sure. I don't know if was something with the plants or what. He definitely has rot (black edges), and if he is biting again that could have brought it on. I just bought this new tank last week --good timing, for once. Thanks for the good wishes! I hope he recovers, too. He is an exasperating fish, but I am so fond of him. He is an extremely curious fellow and quite lovely when his tail isn't bitten up--he is a velvety purple/black color with bit of blue and red in his fins. He did have a perfect tail when he was in the small cup at the store--maybe he does need a smaller space?

Edited by spillie

Just put the filter on again, as it seems Furan-2 will (or anyway, may not) kill the BBs--and there are little tendrils from his tail all over the tank bottom... :( I guess the swimming is breaking off more bits. He is definitely not tail biting now, I've been watching him. What is happening to poor Mr. Henry??

Edited by spillie

Sounds like bacterial finrot has set in because of the tail biting. I'd recommend starting with a large water change, probably about 75%, then adding water with tonic/sea salt at the rate of 1tsp per 5ltrs. Do a 50% water change every day, again ading the tonic salt mix, for about a week. By this point the fins should have stopped getting worse and you might be able to see some new growth. Go about the usual water change routines after that and he shoud be on the road to recovery :)