Sign in to follow this  
Guest billg

Cotton Looking On Tail And Head

Guest billg

Hi,

I noticed today that one of my goldfish had a white, fluffy, cotton looking substance on one of her back fins. I tried to get some pictures, but don't think they turned out that well. Here are 2 pics. Any help on what this could be and how to treat would be greatly appreciated.

Fish-New-015.jpg

Fish-New-016.jpg

I have also thought for the past few days that the GF's heads seem to be a little cottony looking. I might be paranoid, but not sure. Basically, doesn't look smooth or glossy. The 2 GF I am saying this about are Ryukins. Here is a picture.

Fish-New-011.jpg

Tank seems good. Here are the numbers.

PH - 7.6

Nitrite - 0

Ammonia - 0 - 0.25

Thanks for any help or anything to put my mind at rest.

Guest billg

Looking at her now at a good angle, the white fluffy stuff comes out slightly on both side of her fin.

Guest billg

Anyone? I don't want to medicate if I don't have to and very confused on what to do before it spreads..if it will.

:(

Hi!

Do you have some aquarium salt?

Is your tank just cycling? Does it always have .25 ammonia?

I would do a 25% water change right now, and add some salt! I would add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons to begin with.

In 12 hours I would add another tablespoon per 5 gallons

and in another 12 hours another tablespoon per 5 gallons, for a grand total of 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons or 0.3% salt solution.

I find the 0.3% does not stress the fish, and does not wreck your cycle if you add it slowly, and it seems to get rid of most things ;o)

If you feel you can safely hold your fish, you could dab at the white on the fin with a cotton ball or q-tip with hydrogen peroxide. Make sure not to get any in the gills or eyes!

I think good water and salt will cure that bit of white right up :D

Make sure to dissolve the salt in some tank water before you add it in.

Good luck

Jessica

Guest billg

Thanks Jessica!!! Put my mind at rest.

I do have a Weather Loach in the tank. I have read mixed feeling on salt with Loaches.

Will the level you say to use be too much with a loach in the tank?

Right now, I have 0.3% (3 tablespoons per 5 gallons) in my tank with a Weather Loach, and he's just fine! :D

I was *really* nervous about putting the salt in with the Dojo. I just did the one tablespoon per 5 gallons to start and then increased it every 12 hours for a total of 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons.

And I kept an eye on him for a bit right after I added it.

If your loach starts rolling on his side, it's too much salt. Mine usually hides, so he was hard to watch. But I figured he would come flying out of his hidie hole if the salt was bothering him.

But I would not worry about 0.3% too much. I think he will be fine. A few other members here have had that much salt in with their dojo's as well, without any adverse effects.

To be honest, I am afraid to add anything more than 3 tbsp/5 gals with my dojo :D

Jessica

Guest billg

Thanks Jessica. Going to try that now. Wish us luck!!