Advice needed! Pls help!

Sultan

Hi Guys,

So I am new here. I am hoping to get some really good advices from you experts. I have a common goldish and his name is Sultan. He is about 1.5 year old and he is about 6 inches big. He lives in a 20g tank with a filter for 70g tank. He used to have a friend but his goldy firend died. I was wondering if it is okay for me to get another goldfish for his company. I love my fish very much and I dont want him to feel lonely (not sure if that is possible). what if I get him friends from a different species? Would that make up for his lost friend?

Thanx alot!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum! I see that you've gotten a subscription, as well! :thumb:

I moved your topic to the general goldfish discussion, just in case you were wondering :)

That is a very decent size for goldfish. My inclination is to suggest that if you want to get a friend for Sultan, either another goldfish or a different species (be very careful of compatibility in this case), you might want to seriously consider upgrading the tank to something a little bit bigger. Goldfish are notorious producers of waste, and they do need a bit of swimming room. As a consequence, it's generally recommended to allocate 20 gallons to the first goldfish, and 10-20 gallons for each subsequent goldfish, depending on the type. While I think it's more fun for all involved to have more than one goldfish, a goldfish can be fine by itself. :)

Do share some pics and/or videos of Sultan, please.

Hi Guys,

So I am new here. I am hoping to get some really good advices from you experts. I have a common goldish and his name is Sultan. He is about 1.5 year old and he is about 6 inches big. He lives in a 20g tank with a filter for 70g tank. He used to have a friend but his goldy firend died. I was wondering if it is okay for me to get another goldfish for his company. I love my fish very much and I dont want him to feel lonely (not sure if that is possible). what if I get him friends from a different species? Would that make up for his lost friend?

Thanx alot!!!

To me (and most people here), your tank is too small for the one goldy alone. I wouldnt recomend putting another fish in with it. I would suggest getting a larger tank. You already have the filter for it. I would get at least a 40 or 50 gallon tank. Then you could maybe put a buddy in there with him.

Even though im new here also (not to fish) I would like to welcome you to this forum!

I'd also like to extend my welcome to you! From what I understand the 20 +10 gallon rule is for fancies, but single-tailed goldfish (commons, comets, shubunkin) actually have a higher requirement than that. Because goldfish are such little piggies you'll want to upgrade his tank and then start thinking about a friend!

Hi Guys,

Thank you so muc for the warm welcome. You guys rock!!! I feel so good after all these replies from you guys. I think I am going to upgrade my tank very soon and will get a friend for Sultan too. Here is the picture of my little baby...

post-21661-0-22892100-1333907376_thumb.jpg

Sultan is beautiful. If you are getting a buddy for him, consider getting a tank called a 40 breeder. This is as close as you will get to an ideal aquarium for two goldfish. Goldfish prefer shallow water and lots of surface area relative to the volume.

Ooooh, Sultan is very nice looking. I have two 40g breeders, I got them when Petco had their dollar per gallon sale. They will probably have another one this summer, if you have a Petco near you.

Super looking Common!! I have his exact twin, now about 2" longer, and maybe a half in or more taller. Daughter named him "Titanic."

Definately get another single tail goldfish pal. Don't put in some other kind of fish, or a non-single tail, or a pleco. Just give him another single tail and enjoy.

I'd personally go larger than a 40. Single tails are awesome swimmers and they need real estate! If you give them a 55 long, or a 70, etc. you'll really have a show on your hands because they'll be able to really swim and do their thing. Get a big tank, and get a big canister filter like a Fluval 405 or 406 and fill it with ceramic media. Your water will be crystal clear at all times and they'll stay super healthy.

As far as adding the fish, I know it's tempting to just go buy another big one (if you can even find one that big) and drop it in, don't. Your fish is ultra healthy, and anything you dump in there won't be, no matter what. You could wind up with a really sick Sultan, maybe even have him die. Either way, you'll dump a ton of money on meds, and be miserable for weeks trying to nurse him back to health. Get your "new" big tank set up, and put Sultan, all his gravel and decor, and water into that tank, along with his current filter. Then get your new big filter going. While that's getting stabilized, leave the 20 running as your new quarantine tank. Put some of the gravel in from the big tank, and the filter from the 20, back on the 20. (Give the new big filter a couple weeks to get going before you take the 20's filter back to the 20). Then put the new fish in the 20, and add Prazi Pro, and do the whole quarantine scenario for a month.

Once you have both fish in the big tank. Keep the 20 for a hospital tank and consider running it's filter on the big tank, so that that filter is always seeded and ready to go on the 20 should one of them get sick.

Hi Guys,

Its me again. I am moving out from my old apartment in a bit because my roommate jst got married and she trying to start a family. I am trying to get a new apartment close to my university but most of them don't allow any aquarium that is bigger than 10 gallon. There is a friend of mine who has a pond and they are willing to take Sultan in. They don't have that many fishes in their pond. Trust me I cried a lot when taking this decision because I love Sultan but I think it is only good for him if he gets a bigger place to live in. My concern is now that although Sultan is a rough and tough fish, I am afraid he might have some troubles adjusting to a new place. What do u guys think?

Don't worry about Sultan. He will be fine in the pond. Are the people that have the pond experienced fish keepers? Do they treat their pond for flukes and parasites? Usually when adding a new fish in a pond or tank you have to make sure the fish goes through a quarantine for about a month, but i really don't know what to suggest now. Maybe one of the more experienced members here can give some advises. When you add Sultan in the pond, what weather and temperature does that location has? Common goldfish are very hardy and he will be happier in a bigger place, so be happy for him.

Make sure you don't just throw him in the pond. Leave him in a bag to float for 10-20 minutes to get the same temperature as the pond, then add a little pond water in the bag and wait another 10-20 minutes and then remove Sultan and put him in the pond. Please note not to add any water from the bag into the pond.

I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe one of the more experienced members here can give some better advises. Other than that don't be sad. You can go and visit him from time to time :)

Wow! Your prince is so cute!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Hope you have a nice stay here. :)

Waiting for you to bring a beautiful goldie for Sultan. As others say if you are a little overstocked, you can increase water changing frequency and add some more biological media to your filter. Please wait for confirmation from more experienced members. :)

Thanks and Take care.

Wow! Your prince is so cute!

Hello and welcome to the forum! Hope you have a nice stay here. :)

Waiting for you to bring a beautiful goldie for Sultan. As others say if you are a little overstocked, you can increase water changing frequency and add some more biological media to your filter. Please wait for confirmation from more experienced members. :)

Thanks and Take care.

bagho you didn't noticed the last entry from Sultan.

She will be putting her fish in someone's pond soon as she cannot take the goldfish with her to her new accommodation.

Thank you Spyromon.... I am still thinking about it though.... I am still hunting for places where I can take him with me but for now I know that I have to know everything about the pond before I put him in.

Thanx Koko, Yes it does have a filter. Do you think I am doing the right thing?

There are a some fishes in there ranging from 3 inches big to 25 inches....

Ok, maybe I am a bad girl, but how would they even know if you have a tank bigger than 10 gallons? If it were me I wouldn't even tell them I had fish but say you were thinking about it and find out the rules. If you can't find a fish friendly place, worse comes to worst at the wee hours of the morning sneak your tank in, maybe in a box, jic of prying night owl eyes. I know in my state we have laws that a landlord must give 24hrs written notice before being let in the apartment unless there is an emergency like a water pipe break. So in most circumstances you have enough time to stash your guy somewhere, maybe get a 10g that your goldies can use just for the occasion that they come over. It might be cramped but even a few goldies would be fine for a day in that situation. If you are caught they won't likely evict you but give you a span of time to find them a new home, or of course downgrade, but that isn't an option.

In the rental home I have, I never even asked about fish, provided I never had any when I came in. My landlord was a bit wary at first but didn't tell me to get rid of them, wasn't on the lease either. She however only allowed caged pets. I have ferrets. I fibbed that they stay caged when really they can be out for days at a time. When the landlords need to come in the house we just get rid of the tell tale evidence.

Are you checking craigslist for apartments? If not you really should, its a gold mine.