Please read: Posting in D&D

dnalex

Good morning,

I thought that it would be good to post a refresher on posting in D&D for everyone :)

Hi guys! I thought we needed a refresher on how to post for help in this forum (and the 911 forum, also).

Please remember just a few things:

FILL IN ALL THE INFORMATION IN THE WHITE BOX AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Koko has very wonderfully put together this checklist of things we need to know about both the sick fish and the tank, lets make sure we get all this information in the VERY FIRST POST. It saves the mods and helpers lots of circular posts. If the thread gets very long, we may ask for you to repeat this information so we don't have to scroll all the way back to the first post. Plus after a few days, parameters can change.

Also, TRY TO AVOID DIAGNOSING THE FISH YOURSELF. Aka, please don't use post titles like "my fish has hemorragic septecemia" or "fin rot" or whatever. This tends to make people start recommending medications that aren't necessarily what's needed. It's better if you fill out the white form, then at the very end you can say something like "I think this might be A, B, or C because of D, E and F." But if you diagnose right away we may think you have it all figured out, and the real cause of the illness may not be discovered for pages!

PLEASE KEEP AN OPEN MIND. We understand that this is a very stressful experience. No one likes sick pets. But we are trying to help you. Some advice may not be the easiest to hear, and we are always willing to explain things more fully. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but keep it polite. Like I said, we are trying to help, and OPs who are difficult to work with often cause those with advise to stop helping, or get rude themselves.

PLEASE LISTEN TO MODS, HELPERS, AND EXPERIENCED MEMBERS. We have had a lot of junk advice flying around the board lately, and while everyone is certainly welcome to advise others (that's the great thing about a forum), mods and helpers were given this status for a reason. Please, listen to all the advise you are being given. If it conflicts, ask for more detail. You shouldn't have to make confusing decisions. We're more than happy to explain.

And most importantly: DON'T PANIC and DO CHANGE YOUR WATER. We understand you are stressed, and that your fish is ill, but being rash and dumping medications into your tank on a whim will do no good, and may do LOTS of harm. In 99.9% of cases, your fish can wait a few hours while someone reads through your post and gives informed advice. If you feel you absolutely have to do something, do a small to large water change. Anywhere from 25% to 75% (or even 100% if you feel comfortable) will often do lots of good. There is no disease I have ever seen on the boards that DOESN'T benefit from a water change. Remember, the first step should always be a water change! Water is our pet's entire lives. Take care of your water and the water will take care of your fish.

No one likes to find themselves in a situation with a sick fish, but when it happens, we will be here to help you out. Please come to us first, and DON'T TRUST YOUR LPS EMPLOYEE. Unless you know from personal experience that they have knowledge about goldfish in specific (not fish in general, not tropicals, NOT saltwater).

And please remember, the 911 forum is for things like DYING FISH, DROPSIED FISH, CHOKING FISH, etc. Not every day illnesses. If it's not life threatening, it will be moved to the D&D section to allow others with more pressing matters the exposure they need. Also, once your fish is no longer in peril (or has passed) the thread will be moved to the D&D section. It's nothing personal, just trying to keep the boards neater. smile.gif

In addition, I've noticed that there's been quite a lot of self-acknowledged new goldfish keepers who readily proffer treatment suggestions and advice. I would just like to remind everyone that while it's great that you want to participate in the forum and the D&D section, I would encourage you to exercise extreme caution when you do offer suggestions/advice in D&D, especially when you are still learning. In one instance, someone suggested treating with ten times the amount of salt that would be normally be the starting point. At that level, chronic exposure will result in fatality to the fish and extreme shock to the bio-filter. In some other instances, advice was given to treat with a medication without verifying water parameters. Again, this could lead to some very disastrous outcomes. So, please, while I understand your enthusiasm, it's really very important that you exercise restraint, since not doing so can really make things even more complicated, or worse :(

Here are some things that you can (and should) do to help in a D&D or 911 post:

1. offer moral support and let the OP know that someone will come along to help. This forum is amazing because we do have a lot of active members with decades of cumulative experience in keeping goldfish.

2. make sure the OP has supplied the required info, such as answering the form. If the OP has not, you can guide the OP into answering them.

3. ask for pics and/or videos. Help the OP with the upload of these if needed.

4. read all the posts and learn. If something doesn't make sense, ask.

Lastly, please make sure to read through all the posts before making a post of your own, to make sure that you are not duplicating materials and raising a topic that has already been raised.

Thank you for your attention,

Good reminder. :exactly

My only point to emphasize is please, please don't start diagnosing until those questions at the top have been filled out. Yes a fish may have an obvious issue (pop eye, ich) but without knowing the background and conditions, suggesting treatment can be a big mistake. For all we know the fish could be in a 5 gallon with 10 other goldfish...in which case medication is certainly not the first course of action.

As always..... :testkit:

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this thread, since we have a number of fairly new people.

Also, please make sure refrain from making treatment suggestions, unless you are experienced forum member here. More importantly, once a mod team member is monitoring the thread, please let him/her coordinate the treatments. This is important to ensure that person seeking help is getting help in the most efficient way. Thank you!

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the info, I don't see a white box on the top of the page though. I'm thinking because I'm using the forum through tapatalk on my phone. I don't know if that can be resolved, or if in just not doing it right haha.

Hello,

Thanks for bringing this up. This box is no longer there, because of technical issues. Instead, you may find it pinned in the D&D forum. I will paste a copy here, and you will also find it in many people's signatures. :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/116133-help-request-check-list/

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

• 1 month later...

Since it's been a while, I am bumping this thread again :)

Just a quick reminder for everyone - please keep D&D threads short and to the point, so that the poster, the mod team members, and the experienced Koko's members who are helping can have an easier time with reading the thread, instead of slogging through pages and pages of information that, while helpful, is best shared AFTER the primary issue has been resolved.

Thank you! :)

I agree and I appologizes because I know I am a culprit of doing that.

Mikey, there is no need to apologize, and I definitely was not singling anyone out.

If you noticed, it was exactly one year (and one day) ago that I bumped the thread also. :)

• 2 months later...

Good morning,

I thought that it would be good to post a refresher on posting in D&D for everyone :)

Hi guys! I thought we needed a refresher on how to post for help in this forum (and the 911 forum, also).

Please remember just a few things:

FILL IN ALL THE INFORMATION IN THE WHITE BOX AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. Koko has very wonderfully put together this checklist of things we need to know about both the sick fish and the tank, lets make sure we get all this information in the VERY FIRST POST. It saves the mods and helpers lots of circular posts. If the thread gets very long, we may ask for you to repeat this information so we don't have to scroll all the way back to the first post. Plus after a few days, parameters can change.

Also, TRY TO AVOID DIAGNOSING THE FISH YOURSELF. Aka, please don't use post titles like "my fish has hemorragic septecemia" or "fin rot" or whatever. This tends to make people start recommending medications that aren't necessarily what's needed. It's better if you fill out the white form, then at the very end you can say something like "I think this might be A, B, or C because of D, E and F." But if you diagnose right away we may think you have it all figured out, and the real cause of the illness may not be discovered for pages!

PLEASE KEEP AN OPEN MIND. We understand that this is a very stressful experience. No one likes sick pets. But we are trying to help you. Some advice may not be the easiest to hear, and we are always willing to explain things more fully. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but keep it polite. Like I said, we are trying to help, and OPs who are difficult to work with often cause those with advise to stop helping, or get rude themselves.

PLEASE LISTEN TO MODS, HELPERS, AND EXPERIENCED MEMBERS. We have had a lot of junk advice flying around the board lately, and while everyone is certainly welcome to advise others (that's the great thing about a forum), mods and helpers were given this status for a reason. Please, listen to all the advise you are being given. If it conflicts, ask for more detail. You shouldn't have to make confusing decisions. We're more than happy to explain.

And most importantly: DON'T PANIC and DO CHANGE YOUR WATER. We understand you are stressed, and that your fish is ill, but being rash and dumping medications into your tank on a whim will do no good, and may do LOTS of harm. In 99.9% of cases, your fish can wait a few hours while someone reads through your post and gives informed advice. If you feel you absolutely have to do something, do a small to large water change. Anywhere from 25% to 75% (or even 100% if you feel comfortable) will often do lots of good. There is no disease I have ever seen on the boards that DOESN'T benefit from a water change. Remember, the first step should always be a water change! Water is our pet's entire lives. Take care of your water and the water will take care of your fish.

No one likes to find themselves in a situation with a sick fish, but when it happens, we will be here to help you out. Please come to us first, and DON'T TRUST YOUR LPS EMPLOYEE. Unless you know from personal experience that they have knowledge about goldfish in specific (not fish in general, not tropicals, NOT saltwater).

And please remember, the 911 forum is for things like DYING FISH, DROPSIED FISH, CHOKING FISH, etc. Not every day illnesses. If it's not life threatening, it will be moved to the D&D section to allow others with more pressing matters the exposure they need. Also, once your fish is no longer in peril (or has passed) the thread will be moved to the D&D section. It's nothing personal, just trying to keep the boards neater. smile.gif

In addition, I've noticed that there's been quite a lot of self-acknowledged new goldfish keepers who readily proffer treatment suggestions and advice. I would just like to remind everyone that while it's great that you want to participate in the forum and the D&D section, I would encourage you to exercise extreme caution when you do offer suggestions/advice in D&D, especially when you are still learning. In one instance, someone suggested treating with ten times the amount of salt that would be normally be the starting point. At that level, chronic exposure will result in fatality to the fish and extreme shock to the bio-filter. In some other instances, advice was given to treat with a medication without verifying water parameters. Again, this could lead to some very disastrous outcomes. So, please, while I understand your enthusiasm, it's really very important that you exercise restraint, since not doing so can really make things even more complicated, or worse :(

Here are some things that you can (and should) do to help in a D&D or 911 post:

1. offer moral support and let the OP know that someone will come along to help. This forum is amazing because we do have a lot of active members with decades of cumulative experience in keeping goldfish.

2. make sure the OP has supplied the required info, such as answering the form. If the OP has not, you can guide the OP into answering them.

3. ask for pics and/or videos. Help the OP with the upload of these if needed.

4. read all the posts and learn. If something doesn't make sense, ask.

Lastly, please make sure to read through all the posts before making a post of your own, to make sure that you are not duplicating materials and raising a topic that has already been raised.

Thank you for your attention,

Giving this a bump! :)

• 1 month later...