Introducing new fish to a cycled aquarium

dodge245

Hi all,

Since the loss of my Oranda, my OH is asking for a new fish i have asked her to wait, however eventually I will have to introduce a new fish into my aquarium, I did a few searches on here but found little information(im sure its on here somewhere just cant find it). What is the procedure for adding a fish to an established aquarium? should i quarantine in a 10 gallon with salt? how long for? should medicines be added?

Hi all,

Since the loss of my Oranda, my OH is asking for a new fish i have asked her to wait, however eventually I will have to introduce a new fish into my aquarium, I did a few searches on here but found little information(im sure its on here somewhere just cant find it). What is the procedure for adding a fish to an established aquarium? should i quarantine in a 10 gallon with salt? how long for? should medicines be added?

Hello,

It's always important to quarantine new fish to make sure that they are healthy before adding them to your main tank. Our routine recommendation for QT is to salt to 0.3% + fluke treatment (Fluke-Solve or Prazipro or any other 100% Praziquantel active ingredient product). Salt should be maintained at 0.3% for at least two weeks, and you should do at least 4 rounds of flukes treatment. QT ideally should be 4 weeks long, although the longer the better.

thanks alex, ive just found this:

Sure biggrin.gif It's very simple and primitive really. Before going into QT, and after bringing a stressed fish home in a toxic bag you can use the 3 bucket method.

You need 3 clean fish -use- only plastic buckets and one airwand and some salt. Don't ask me about Prime as I have never used it tongue.gif Sounds great though and some good posts from you guys on it.

I use sodium thiosulphate crystals.

So,

1. If you have a reliable total alkalinity above 40PPM you can prepare the buckets ahead of time with water exactly temperature matched with the QT tank water that is waiting for your new fish. All 3 buckets in a line, full of water. Trops and plecos need heaters or temp matched water.

2. You put the bubbler in the first bucket. And add salt to the tune of 1 teaspooon per gallon to buckets 1 and 2.

3. You float the bag in bucket 1 to acclimate the fish to temp...and hold it open after 10 mins allowing air in/gases out. Then you turn it sideways and sink the open bag down into the bucket with great care, allowing the toxic water to join the fresh salted water. It can be traumatic getting the rubber band off so I usually cut that off with scissors. Invariably the fish swims out rather fast but it doesn't matter....there is still some transition factor with the old water and new and yes the pH is suddenly higher most often.

4. No more than 10 mins in this aerated bucket 1. Then you move the air wand into salted bucket 2.

Reach into bucket one with your clean non soapy hand (you should coat your palms with stress coat to do this) and scoop your new fish into bucket 2, leaving all that nasty water behind and thousands of bacteria and parasites that have moved into it off the fish.

5. Now your fish is in bucket 2 with the air wand . The salt here will also slough off some more bugs. Leave him to swim around here for another 5-10 mins. The more active he is the better as more micro-organisms flick off into the water.

6. This is the final bucket before QT. This can be salted but I usually don't for the last bucket. The QT is waiting with no meds and no salt and this bucket is the final transition. The water should match as close to the QT water as poss.

Allow him 10 mins here and then again (with lightly stress coated or just wet palms) move your fish into his QT.

All my buckets are the same so it is not disorientating being moved. The benefits are huge. With each move to a new bucket you are leaving behind thousands of microbes, it is so satisfying then tossing 3 buckets of contaminated water into the yard.

When the fish is in QT you can de stress him before medicating with prazi/salt/PP as you see fit.

The enormous benefits of this method are it is NOT stressful because with each bucket the fish is getting better and better water And with each bucket he leaves behind soooooo much muck and microscopic bugs. So easy too smile.gif

Quoted from Trinket. Should i do this into the QT then salt every 12 hours(at 0.1%) until the tank is at 0.3%, 4 rounds of fluke solve over a month, then introduce into main tank?

Edited by dodge245

that's whati did & it went very smoothly. I like the idea behing the 3 bucket method. Good idea to doit when moving fish from tank to tank as well to avoid cross contamination.

good luck & congrats on the new fish!

mj