Help me identify these odd things appearing on the anubias

These things just appear today, or yesterday at most. I did not see any of them two days ago when I relocated the plant.

Can anyone tell what are they? They look like very tiny clear balls/eggs/bubble. Definitely not water bubbles since they look slightly thicker and gel-ish, and stationary.

2z5q0k1.jpg

zy96c2.jpg

2j0jvo3.jpg

I'm so worry they could be some sort of parasite eggs :( I didn't sterilize the plant when I got it, which is over a month now and it has been healthy the whole time, so are my goldfishes, and grew 3 new leaves.

I gave one fish away so there's only one left. He seems normal and very active like usual, gravel digging all day and begs for food when people come close; nothing unsual at all. There was zero of those things for the last 30+ days, yet there are so many of them now in the last 24 hrs.

You sure those are eggs? He/she is barely 3 inches long, 1 2/3 inch last month. Growing fast so I'm assuming she/he is nowhere near adult yet to lay eggs.

Update: I just took the plant out as a precaution. Those things stick strongly to the leaves and shaking in a bucket of water wont get them off. They're also suprisingly elastic for their delicate look, and pop-able when a squeeze hard.

I'm testing water parameters now and also uploading clearer shots in a few minutes.

Here is a video from Sakura, one of our members, when one of her fish laid eggs

Because these eggs are unfertilized I would do a big water change tomorrow with rigorous vacuuming to get as much of the eggs out as possible. Left alone they may get fungus-y.

Yes those are eggs (of what fish you can't know for sure), maybe the anubias had them when you first brought it. Have in mind the goldfish will eat them if not removed and also the eggs turn white when they are not fertilised by a male, but in order for them to be born a male has to push a female on the plant, lay the eggs and fertilize them at the same time. Size of the goldfish does not really matter but has to be an adult. mine where small and laid eggs. Now i have 2 beautiful babies. :) If you want to grow the babies put them in a separate tank. and cut an anubias leaf and leave it to start to rot so they will have algae and a leaf to eat. But you have to separate the eggs from the big fish as he will eat the eggs and the babies when they hatch. the babies don't need food in the first few days as they eat algae and you can buy fry food from a pet shop after 2-3 days they hatch.

started a photo diary below, but i will create a thread when they grow up...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74021057@N03/sets/72157629685762509/

also here my goldfish parents when they first started mating.

Sorry i just noticed you wrote you had the plant for a month. So it must be your goldfish were mating all this time and you didn't notice. After 3 days the unfertilized eggs will turn white and the fertilized eggs won't. If you want to breed those few babies that may hatch. If you don't want to have two tanks/containers and don't care about breeding you could give them to a person that will be interested on adopting those babies or simply wash them off the leaves. After 4-6 days depending temperature they will hatch then just gently remove the white eggs. Don't wash the leaves as they have algae and the babies can eat that.

Edited by Spyromon

Because these eggs are unfertilized I would do a big water change tomorrow with rigorous vacuuming to get as much of the eggs out as possible. Left alone they may get fungus-y.

So whether I can or cannot hatch the eggs, whatever left behind will make the tank unhealthy/danger for the fish that live there?

Sorry i just noticed you wrote you had the plant for a month. So it must be your goldfish were mating all this time and you didn't notice. After 3 days the unfertilized eggs will turn white and the fertilized eggs won't. If you want to breed those few babies that may hatch. If you don't want to have two tanks/containers and don't care about breeding you could give them to a person that will be interested on adopting those babies or simply wash them off the leaves. After 4-6 days depending temperature they will hatch then just gently remove the white eggs. Don't wash the leaves as they have algae and the babies can eat that.

Say I'm interested in hatching the eggs, how do I go about it? Excuse my ignorant, I'm just 2 months into keeping goldfish and still struggle with keeping the water safe and them alive, let alone breeding :P

I have no access to a male gf now, is it mandatory to have the eggs hatch?

I could go out and grab a 10 gallon tank tomorrow. Anything else I need?

I'm not experienced either. I'm the hobby for a year now. i would prefer to remove the fish from the tank/container and put it in another, use a sponge filter or if you don't have one use an airpump only and leave the eggs in the existing tank/container you have as it is an established environment.

When where the eggs laid???

if they were laid after you removed the male goldfish then yes they are 100% unfertilized.

Edited by Spyromon

dnalex is right. Well you could take a big container and put conditioned water and put the plant in there and you will see what will happen in 2-3 days. Why did you give away the boy fish? They can lay eggs again after 1-2 weeks again. get your boy back. It's really hard to see the gender of the fish. Now you know the one you have is a female (the chased ones) and the one you gave is male (the chasers).

Edited by Spyromon

Spyromon, he doesn't know if the other fish is male. Please read the posts before making comments.

Much appreciated!

Edited by dnalex

That's a shame, my lovely oranda get no babies for her effort :( maybe next time...

How often do they lay eggs? I'm getting her some new friends in a couple of weeks. Do they have to be same variety to breed? (m/f oranda).

I gave away an oranda because I want to have one of each gf variety, which I'm getting a ranchu and a black moor.

When where the eggs laid???

if they were laid after you removed the male goldfish then yes they are 100% unfertilized.

The eggs are appearing in the last 24 hours, 48 at most. The other fish was gave away 8 days ago.

And yea, I cannot tell whether they are male or female, they're both small around 2.5 to 2.75 inches.

sorry dnalex i'm in a rush and skipped a few lines.

Yes the eggs are 100% unfertilized, so remove them.

Having babies is not that easy, plus you have to cull (kill) the deformed babies, plus you may have way too many fish. First you have to have a heater (at around 21 Celsius), make a spawning mop (it's easy and cheap), after they lay eggs on the mop either put the fish in a running cycled tank or move the mop to the new tank (i would move the fish), after around 3 days try to remove the white eggs or they will get fungus (unless if you treat the water with an anti-fungal medicine so they won't produce fungus). It's really demanding so make a research first if you are really interested in breeding.

To trigger the breeding you need to make small 25% daily water changes and overfeed (3 times a day but not a lot).

The worst part is the culling in my opinion. I don't think i have the guts to do it, so it's good that i only managed to save a few eggs (other were eaten) and only two babies hatched for my first time breeding.

I have even seen male goldfishes chasing females at pet shops.

Edited by Spyromon

Spyromon, I appreciate that you are taking the time out to participate in forum discussions and threads, as I'm sure others do, too. However, I will once again remind you that unless you actually read through what has been posted before adding your own contribution, the information is not going to be as helpful compared to if you've actually read any of the previous posts.

If you are in a hurry, mark the thread to come back and visit later when you have time to read and make a thoughtful contribution.

Thanks,

Alex

don't bother with breeding now. Select your fish you want to have and maybe in the future you can focus in breeding them but it's a lot of trouble. Also note that introducing new fish may have diseases so pay close attention (be a perfectionist) and see if the fish has any problems with their fins or shape.

Spyromon, I appreciate that you are taking the time out to participate in forum discussions and threads, as I'm sure others do, too. However, I will once again remind you that unless you actually read through what has been posted before adding your own contribution, the information is not going to be as helpful compared to if you've actually read any of the previous posts.

If you are in a hurry, mark the thread to come back and visit later when you have time to read and make a thoughtful contribution.

Thanks,

Alex

yes sorry about that. i didn't noticed a few comments he posted.

good luck with selecting new fish beepbeepimajeep

Edited by Spyromon

Thank everyone, especially dnalex and Spyromon, for the insight. It was a short thrill I thought I'm getting some baby goldfishes.

I'm doing 2 WCs tomorrow to get rid of the eggs :( but I doubt I can get them all in one day since I have a lot of gravel and plants (anacharis), this might take more WCs. Is there any danger with my fish eating the left behind eggs, clear or solid white?

don't bother with breeding now. Select your fish you want to have and maybe in the future you can focus in breeding them but it's a lot of trouble. Also note that introducing new fish may have diseases so pay close attention (be a perfectionist) and see if the fish has any problems with their fins or shape.

Yea, safety is why getting a male gf to help fertilize those eggs is not an option now. I can't put one into the tank without quarantine him for a month first.

No worries, Spyro!

BBIMAJ, your goldfish is likely able to spawning again a couple more times in the next two weeks. However, given the time frame, it might be a little bit late to add another male in to the mix (no, it doesn't have to be another oranda), since you will need to QT the new fish etc. Why don't you just pick her new tank mates, QT, add them to the tank, and look forward to the next spawning :)

I will do that, dnalex. This forum is amazing, I thought I would post a question, remove the plant, go to sleep and get my answer tomorrow. But here I'm getting all my questions sorted out, at these late hours.

It will be interesting to see my oranda would mate with a ranchu, or another goldfish variety for that matter. I didn't thought that was possible since I haven't seen a mixed offspring gfs yet, each variety seems to have distinct characteristics.

LOL. This forum is active 24/7! :D

In any case, breedings between the different types can and do happen. They are all goldfish, after all. If you search around on the forum, you will find a lot of examples of this. I'll give you one place to start. Look up Patti, one of our members. I know he for sure had mixed type offsprings recently :)