Gonna Start a Shrimp tank, trying to gather info

yaapp

I have a 5.5gallon

AC20

Heater

Fluval Stratum soil

A rock (yes a rock)

Another rock

I think I will start with Cherry Shrimp (though I don't know how many)

I will get plants and going to steal some Java Moss from Kulukan (she doesn't know it yet)

Other than all of this, I am pretty clueless. I know I need to keep the pH down thus what the soil is for, am I treating the tank liek a tropical tank when it comes to WC (20% weekly)?

Needs advice please

Shrimp are fun! =D

You'll want to put a filter sponge over the intake of the filter. They aren't very smart XD

You'll want plants. Lots and lots of plants. I have my 5.5 heavily planted, and I use a CFL bulb in place of an incandescent, along with root tabs and Flourish Comprehensive.

Don't bother with the pH, really, unless you absolutely cannon keep the shrimp alive. Do water changes and top offs as needed, since shrimp really don't add to the bioload, and plants will filter the water. Since I've got a betta, 3 ADFs, and 2 Pygmy Cories in my 5.5 with my shrimp, I do have to do weekly water changes, but as the plants take over, its starting to become pretty self sufficient :)

You can have how ever many shrimp in there as you want, until they are like literally crawling all over each other. Start out with 6-10, expect to lose some, and then expect to get a population boom :)

• Supporter

I think that the main thing with cherry shrimp is that they need their enviornment to be stable. Mine are in a 5g tank with an apple snail and some ramshorns. It's planted. I've been doing 20-30% WC and just being really careful that the temp and PH match. I have 6 right now, but plan to get more. I've been feeding them omega one pellets because I haven't remembered to get them shrimp food????? I have been giving them peas and zucchini too. They seem happy. They're alive??

Good luck.

I was THINKING of possibly adding a betta but I'm afraid that it will eat the shrimp.

I have an extra Fluval pre filter so hoo ray for that. And I also have Flourish already. Never really thought about Root Tabs.

So I should basically start the tank with plants first, build some algae THAN get shrimp?

I don't have to get Cherry Shrimp, unless there is another type of cool shrimp to have.

I was told taht Shrimp can just survive on algae alone?

I was THINKING of possibly adding a betta but I'm afraid that it will eat the shrimp.

I have an extra Fluval pre filter so hoo ray for that. And I also have Flourish already. Never really thought about Root Tabs.

So I should basically start the tank with plants first, build some algae THAN get shrimp?

I don't have to get Cherry Shrimp, unless there is another type of cool shrimp to have.

I was told taht Shrimp can just survive on algae alone?

Root tabs are good for plants that are heavy root feeders, such as Crypts, Wisteria, and Aponogenton. Flourish and other liquid ferts are for plants that feed from the water column, like Java Fern, Aniubias, moss balls, etc.

It depends on the betta. My Chi is a space cadet, so it works out lol Really, its the frogs I have to worry about, in my tank!

Actually, shrimp eat micro-organisms more than they do algae, which is what they eat off of plants. I don't feed my shrimp, but I do, obviously, feed Chi and the frogs, which leaves left overs for the shrimp to eat, and left overs for the micro-organisms to culture.

All you need to do is cycle the tank, make sure its stable, and add the shrimp :) Feed them every couple days, but don't over do it.

RCS are the cheapest neat shrimp. There are like Black Tiger Shrimp, Red CRYSTAL Shrimp, and stuff, but they are like 12 bucks a pop o.O

Other than zucchini, what are my choices for the shrimp?

Shrimp pellets (ironically XD), algae wafers, cucumber, yellow squash, flakes, sinking pellets.... They eat anything :)

When I say "anything," I mean it :) They are very opportunistic.

Just don't worry about water conditions, other than ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, really. Its easier on you and the shrimp.

LOL Don't worry, you should see me on my iPhone XD

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98957-55-gallon-redo/page__fromsearch__1

I've got Wisteria, Aponogenton, Java Fern, Windelov (Lace) Java Fern, Guppy Grass, Dwarf Lily, Dwarf Sag, Dwarf Hair Grass, Marimo Moss Balls, Java Moss, and salvainia (sp?) in the tank above.

Yeah, I buy plants just because they are weird/cool looking.... Than there's teh banana plant, it's still out of control...

What kind of lamp bubl should I get?

• Supporter

OMG you guys are posting fools. lol

I would like to vote for duckweed. My shrimp love to hang in it and graze, then you can feed it to the goldfish too.

Oh yeah, I have a banana plant and a crypt wendtii, too LOL

I have a CFL from the grocery store :P Just make sure the wattage that it uses (Not replaces, thats different lol) doesn't go over the capacity of your socket. Usually, its 15 watts. I have 10 and 13 watt CFLs in my 15 watt capable hoods. This particular tank has a 10 watt.

Yeah, Duckweed is good, especially since you've got goldies, so it can't take over LOL

Plants are good. I like crypts because they stay where I put them and they actually grow. I have mostly crypts in shrimp and betta tank.

I don't do anything special for my shrimp, other than put a sponge on the filter intake. I just changed over my tank, and I caught at least 20 shrimp. There were some very tiny babies that I could barely see, let alone catch.

Pictures are here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98864-new-betta-tank-from-the-edge-to-the-half-moon/page__fromsearch__1

I must admit,your thread's been helping me. I've been wanting to get some shrimp to live with my betta. I've got some time before I get them, because I want to wait until after I completely redo the tank (new gravel, deco,plants,etc),as to not have to catch them all.

Been thinking either Cherry or Red Crystal(if I can get a good deal on a few. Like,a wicked good deal.)