Sign in to follow this  
DesigNerd

DIY moss carpet with yogurt

I came across the DIY moss graffiti stuff a lot lately where you put moss & yogurt in a blender, go out and paint something like a rock or wall and days/weeks later you've got moss art.

Well.... I have some moss... I have some yogurt... I have a giant sterilite tub and some plastic meshing.... you see where I'm getting with this?

I talked it over at the LFS and they think the idea is great but also not sure if it's safe.

The concept of the mesh carpet of moss being a fluffy way for some of the fry to land & hide in is neat but what about underneath? Is leaving the underneath impossible to get to safe? What about toxic build-up bubbling out? Does that happen, even if it's a full length carpet taking in all sides of the base?

Also, what about the yogurt, is that safe? I plan on growing the moss out until it's nice and thick in a separate container. Should I try a flash bleaching and rinsing when it's all done before remodeling the tank? This idea would go into my 75 gallon filled with fancy goldfish and a few snails.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ok...just trying to get this straight :)

So you want to start the moss somewhere else using yogurt, then once it's grown transfer it to a tub to raise fry. Is the moss aquatic?

I have no idea on this one, but I am super curious.

Yeah, it's aquatic moss I picked up at the LFS. The idea of getting it into screen patchwork pieces and rolling it out into the tank like a carpet. I got 3 kinds of moss; java, the short stuff and the medium stuff. hahaha I'm so sorry, I don't know the technical names.

It's not for the nursery tank, I understand that the eggs & fry wont necessarily be protected. I'm mostly doing it for aesthetics and partly in case I can't get to them during the egg laying process, at least there's a fighting chance that some will survive and not be eaten. I try to keep all fry & little kiddos away from big mouths.

how does the yogurt not go bad? (I guess it is technically 'bad' to start with but it seems like it would just be a breeding ground for bacteria) Do you put the yogurt in the water? I am so confused by this :P

Me too! How can you put yogurt in the water?

I've never heard of this, ever o.O I'll be watching this thread lol

Obviously, the moss would have to be started out of the water. I wonder how long it would take for it to attach to the mesh. It could be an easy way to do a moss wall or cave.

I'm not sure if aquatic moss can be grown emersed or not. I'v heard of using buttermilk to propagate moss, but when I looked into doing it with aquatic moss I think I read that they don't grow well emersed.

Could be wrong though. Good luck.

Okay this is getting me nervous now.

So since it's aquatic moss I figured it needed to be submerged, right? Well... hmm....

I checked a bunch of recipes online all with different substitutes. One had beer with plain yogurt and sugar, one had kefir, one had whole milk so I just used what I had on hand. The last of my kefir past it's prime and a beer. I really hope it was worth the beer. ;)

oh and I decided against the java moss. That can be planted directly in the back for height variance. Just the shorter moss for this combo.

No idea how long this is gonna take. Tomorrow I'll add a triple headed lamp that get's hot. I sooooo hope it doesn't get smelly. oh please god don't let it get nasty. I'm an apartment dweller and really don't have much other space for my quirky little DIY projects.

IMG_20120331_181350.jpg

IMG_20120331_181420.jpg

And yeah... I totally found a little itty bitty baby shrimp-a-doo in there. So scanned really carefully when taking apart the rest of the moss. Now I've got a pet shrimp. yay. That's how all my tanks were infested with zillions of snails. The eggs were hiding in moss. Cheeky lil scoundrels.

IMG_20120331_182721.jpg

IMG_20120331_184928.jpg

I just know people all around the world are screaming "No, not the Guinness!! What's this crazy woman doing?" Well, I thought that too but the LFS had the audacity to sell the moss for $10 a tiny strip. If I were to buy all this premade it would be easily over $100, so if it does work it's worth the beer.

um.. oh yeah. I really wish I had checked this thread before starting. Now that it's submerged I'm just crossing my fingers that the moss will attach. Maybe after a couple days I can drain it carefully.

Edited by DesigNerd

I don't know if this would be helpful

Put in blender: one can of cheap beer (or 1 1/2 cups buttermilk), a few handfuls of moss, one teaspoon of sugar. Paint on wall and mist daily until it grows.

I found it on this site... Pretty much every link says you're supposed to blend it all up and keep it moist. So I dunno if using submerged moss would work since it would just fall apart. Unless you put it in between sheets of mesh and used fishing line to keep the pieces together. There is a rigid mesh (they sell it with sewing stuff I think) that might work since it won't be all floppy.

Just my 2 cents :)

haha I have no idea what's happening... but am totally curious!

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I just used to stich small sections with 100% cotton bits of moss to fiberglass door screen or plastic fine mesh. The moss is slow growing, but after a few months, it would be a 100% green carpet. The cotton would naturally discintergrate after a few weeks, by which time the moss already had a natural grip to the screen. Looked pretty good actually!

Only downside was the amount of food and poop that got stuck in it, even when on the back of the tank like mine was. Hoooh boy. And it's near impossible to clean without ripping it out and taking it ourside and hosing it down. Though the stuff is tough and didn't seem to mind a bit of that treatment! :P

Good luck!

haha I have no idea what's happening... but am totally curious!

:rofl me too

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I just used to stich small sections with 100% cotton bits of moss to fiberglass door screen or plastic fine mesh. The moss is slow growing, but after a few months, it would be a 100% green carpet. The cotton would naturally discintergrate after a few weeks, by which time the moss already had a natural grip to the screen. Looked pretty good actually!

Only downside was the amount of food and poop that got stuck in it, even when on the back of the tank like mine was. Hoooh boy. And it's near impossible to clean without ripping it out and taking it ourside and hosing it down. Though the stuff is tough and didn't seem to mind a bit of that treatment! :P

Good luck!

Oh that's really smart using the cotton. Wish I had thought of that. I'm curious, was your thing in a fishtank? You took it out and cleaned it with a hose? It got that bad?!?! ohhh goooOOOodness

As for how it spreads everyone, moss is a particulate so in theory where ever it's wet and a dust bit of the moss gets, it'll find a way to grow. I just think that the whole inside of the container will be growing moss too. Which if it does that's good cause then I can start another propagation.

I just know people all around the world are screaming "No, not the Guinness!!"

LMAO I was about to say that :rofl

Unless you put it in between sheets of mesh and used fishing line to keep the pieces together.

If I don't see any progress today or tomorrow I may add another sheet of screen to grab more of the particulates. Thanks for pointing that out.

I have to admit, I did think don't waste that beer! But I am super curious about this. I love the look of moss and would love to try this. I have a moss ball scattered over my tank in wee tiny bits right now that would be interesting to use.

I really want to try this, maybe not for the tank but for outside. But I have nothing to grow moss on.

I really want to try this, maybe not for the tank but for outside. But I have nothing to grow moss on.
you could grow it on rocks. I've also seen it done on terra cotta pots.

I like my rocks the way they are, and I have no place for pots. Maybe a tacky statue is what I need.

I like my rocks the way they are, and I have no place for pots. Maybe a tacky statue is what I need.

like a garden elf you can cover in moss?? Look at this one relaxing, you could give him a moss jacket :P

master:CIB879.jpg?is=1600,1600,0xffffff

Oh yes! And a moss hat!

Edited by ShawneeRiver

See, I thought she was thinking along the lines of Michelangalo's "David". Ya know, a little moss here, little moss there........