Sign in to follow this  
Flaunder

Lucky bamboo...

I currently have two lucky bamboo in my goldfish tank. The guy at the pet store said it would do good in there. Is it true? So far I have not had any problems. Thanks in advance.

some members here have successfully kept bamboo in their tanks, but the leaves should be out of the water.

actually, that's something I wanted to ask (sorry for hijacking your thread!); I can get some lucky bamboo from Homebase (a home depot store) - is there any precautions I should take other than bleach and QT, especially as it's not from an aquatic gardening section/LFS? would it likely just die because it's not used to being emersed?

Then maybe I should plant the bamboo in pots so that the leaves are not covered by the water. What kind of pot do you suggest, ceramic, plastic or other kind? Are they fish "safe"?

Lots of people on here use those little clay pots for plants. Glass is okay too :) but I would probably not do plastic. I think that certain kinds can put plasticy chemicals or something into the water. Unless it's food safe, in which case it's okay :)

But I'm no expert, so wait for more responses :)

Edited by pandamanda111

I left my bamboo in the pot it come in. I put it in for a few months and then remove it for a few months. Now it is tall enough to stick out of the tank. But since I got the other plant in the goldfish tank I may not put it back in this time. Just hope I remember to water it. lol

Mine last longer in a tank then not cause I don't remember to water.

I think I will get a small glass or clay pot. So how long can I leave the bamboo fully submerged for? Or if I decide to leave it permanently, how much has to be sticking out?

A friend of mine has several of this plant (not actually bamboo) in her goldfish tank. It seems to thrive perfectly well without being potted, so long as the stem is submerged only - no leaves. They are pretty hardy though...even if you submerge some leaves, those leaves may die but the plant will be fine. Rotting material is not good for your water chemistry of course...

My experience with them is that direct, bright light is not their favourite. This is a more likely cause for leaves to yellow than anything else. If you have strong lights for other plants on your tank, you might want to pass.

I put mine in a small terracotta pot and the leaves are

just sticking out of the water. It has been like that for a week or two. So far no problems.

Sorry for bumping a bit of an old thread; not sure what the rules are around here for that, but I figure it's better than making a new one.

I've got two bamboo plants in my 40 gallon. One is tall enough to peek above the water, although it's kind of pressed against the glass pane I use as a lid, but the other remains mostly underwater, only the very tip emerging from the surface. So far they seem healthy, and have been in there for a while, but they simply don't seem to be growing. Is this an issue many have had?

I think eventually the leaves will rot if they stay submerged. It may take months to happen, but it will.

Well they've been there for nearly four months, and they show no signs of poor health.