Diatom VS Magnum 350 Advice Needed Please

The other day I pulled out my ancient Diatom filter which I haven't used in months. I've had a few of these over the years and their excellent at water polishing.

Those who use one know they'll remove particles less than one micron in size - including parasites such as ich.

Setting them up is always a pain, they're messy and difficult to maintain - but the results are astonishing.

Well, I set it up, primed it and the motor was dead. Rather than repair it I considered replacing it, but then I came across some positive feedback on the Marinland Magnum 350 which can be used as a canister filter and double as a water polisher.

Unlike the Diatom it looks so much easier to use. No diatomaceous earth to deal with, instead it uses a pleated micro cloth cartridge.

Unlike the Diatom it self primes and has the same flow rate of 350 GPH.

The Magnum lists for $329 most online sellers have it at about $250 - Amazon.com has it on sale for $94.00

The Diatom XL runs $169.00 whether you buy it from Vortex themselves or online.

If anyone has a suggestion, information or experience with the Magnum 350 VS a Diatom, I would appreciate it.

Here are links to both.

Magnum

http://www.amazon.co...33116072&sr=1-1

Diatom

http://www.diatomfil...m_xl_filter.htm

I have never used either, but I would jump on that Amazon sale price! I have read almost nothing but complaints about how much of a pain in the rear the diatom filters are. And I like the versatility of being able to change between normal and polishing on the Magnum. The diatom use I've read about is just for a few days at a time, and I think the micron part of the Magnum is the same way--it's not meant to be running all the time. So the getting-the-most-out-of-stuff part of me really likes that you could use it for normal filtration in between.

Your mileage may vary, of course, especially since I don't speak from experience. Sorry I can't be of much help other than my opinion. :)

I have never used either, but I would jump on that Amazon sale price! I have read almost nothing but complaints about how much of a pain in the rear the diatom filters are. And I like the versatility of being able to change between normal and polishing on the Magnum. The diatom use I've read about is just for a few days at a time, and I think the micron part of the Magnum is the same way--it's not meant to be running all the time. So the getting-the-most-out-of-stuff part of me really likes that you could use it for normal filtration in between.Your mileage may vary, of course, especially since I don't speak from experience. Sorry I can't be of much help other than my opinion. :)

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

You're so right about the Diatom, set up and break down is such an incredible hassle. Turning the whole unit upside down, using the buckets to get a prime started, the back flushing...ugh.

Not to mention the media ending up everyplace.

I think if you have many multiple tanks and can run enough split hosing the XL makes sense. But in most cases it's over kill.

Another problem with them is how hot the motor runs, it's not a UL listed products and I've burned myself more than once. The Magnum has a bottom based pump and set up and break down look so much easier.

Maybe the cartridges don't filter down to one micron, but I think it's a better system. I ordered the Magnum just a little while ago - and your feedback helped in making that decision so many thanks.

After a few test drives, I'll post a review - thanks again :)

PS: I love the picture of your dog!

Glad I could help. Definitely let us know what you think. :)

Thanks for the dog picture compliment. That's my dog Rocky, several years ago. The funny thing is, he doesn't mind wearing that costume (we still have it!). It's just the posing for the photo that made him so grumpy. :D

Edited by kortniee

Glad I could help. Definitely let us know what you think. :)Thanks for the dog picture compliment. That's my dog Rocky, several years ago. The funny thing is, he doesn't mind wearing that costume (we still have it!). It's just the posing for the photo that made him so grumpy. :D

How DARE you make that poor pooch wear a silly costume..I would NEVER do that to Harley :)

ASANTAPUP.jpg

That was taken about three years ago and still every Xmas he likes wearing it. It's getting him into that Tuxedo that's become an issue.

you guys should make a dog costume thread

Do it! Do it. I would have to try to find something for Dash, since I would NEVER put him in a costume.

And I know as you typed that Dash is sitting right next to you dressed like a leprechaun.

459a773e-028f-6ef6.jpg

THAT is so hysterical Dash looks like a CHER IMPERSONATOR - this made my day, I can't stop laughing.

Edited by PeterD