The boys are telling me...

spillie

My poor little lionhead has been chased all over the tank today. This morning, the big oranda was chasing her all over the tank and mouthing her repeatedly whenever he caught her (which was about every 10 seconds, as he is so much bigger and faster than she is). I finally pulled him out and put him in the QT before work to give her a break.

Now she is being chased by the pearlscale, who seems to be nipping her whenever he catches up with her. I presume all this is breeding behaviour, right? There has been none of this that I have seen until today. So, to help her release her eggs, I am wondering if I should put her in the QT with the oranda and add some cooler water. She was really being harrasssed this AM, though... how long should it take until she releases her eggs?

Or, I could take the pealscale out and put him in the QT with my oranda and give her some peace--only I do not want her to become eggbound. What do you think? I had her in a floating in colandar for a bit, thinking it migt protect her but get bumped enough to help things along, but no bumping happened....

I was going to suggest placing her in the colander for a break ;) but since you already tried this I'll set back and see if anyone has another suggestion ;) is there any place in the tank she can get a break from the boys? a grouping of plants maybe??

I'm not sure that you want to isolate her entirely. I'm always mindful that this is what they are supposed to be doing, however brutal or exhausting it may look. May be if it gets too rough, such as when she's tired or headstanding, then you can isolate her for a little rest? I'm more concerned about the process being incomplete, to tell you the truth.