Celestials and Lighting

adverbemonade

(While impatiently waiting for my 45 (US) gallon tank to cycle, I'm considering several possible goldfish breeds.)

I've admired celestials for a long time. But with a light on top of my tank, wouldn't celestials be forced to stare up, directly into it, or else hide all day to shield their poor little lid-less eyes?

I'm probably overly concerned, but the idea of my future goldfish being continually dazzled by the bright light bothers me.

Any thoughts, or input from celestial owners?

I own a celestial and a bubble eye. They both do not seem too bothered by the lighting. If you are still concerned, you can buy some floating plants and let them float around the surface. This would provide shading just in case the light does bother your fish. :)

I have noticed that my celestial does not always swim with his eyes facing upward. They like to stop swimming and go vertical to look around. So it would not be looking at the lights all the time. lol

Edited by Aluyasha

How reassuring! Thanks. :) I had imagined it like being blinded by bright headlights all the time.

I'm not going to put plants in the tank immediately, because I want to treat them with Prazi-Pro or fenbendazole first (and I want the least amount of things for an accurate gallon assessment and for ease of removing medicine from surfaces), but there will be a PVC pipe for them, which should work, I think. (What an awful sentence I made.)

Additional questions, while I'm here: From your observation of your celestial, how well do you think one would do with a pearlscale and a lionhead, in a tank with no projections? I've seen people successfully combine celestials and fat, slow goldfish before.

I also became an expert in distraction and hand-feeding when I had 2 slow, docile goldfish with 1 bossy, greedy goldfish so would it be that much different for a celestial?

My bubble eye has a harder time finding food than my celestial.

I have hear lionheads and other wen like goldfish do good with celestials (I am actually thinking of getting a ranchu with them in the future).

Not sure on the pearlscale. They look to be slow enough but I have never seen one move around in person.

I know some people hand feed their celestial eyes. If you did that then hunger would not be a problem. Though you would still have to watch for anyone bullying him, as his eyes are delicate.

I have also heard that celestials are more sensitive to water quality more so than other types.

One of the slow fish I mentioned above was a pearlscale; the greedy one and the other slow one were both lionheads. All pearlscales I've seen in person swim ("wiggle") relatively slowly and leisurely.

I'm planning on doing two 24 Imperial gallon WCs per week (the tank works out to 38 Imperial gallons) so hopefully water quality won't ever be a problem. I would rather do a 90% WC every week but I don't have the space to keep any more reservoir tubs in my room.

I do hope you decide to eventually add a ranchu, that'll be delightful. :)

I had two celestials in a crowded tank with busy fish. They did fine, but I made sure that I fed enough. I fed enough that pellets hit the bottom of the tank, and once the pellets reached the bottom, the celestials had no trouble finding them.

They did fine in a community tank. However, I accidentally killed them by giving them a salt dip, so yes, they are a little more delicate. :(

All pearlscales I've seen in person swim ("wiggle") relatively slowly and leisurely.

You've never seen my Tweedle Dee book across the tank at feeding time,then. He doesn't do it often, but when he does holy crap does he wiggle. Cracks me up every time. My mom's little pearlies are pretty fast too when there's food involved, especially the one we call Stumpy. c:

But I do agree,most of the time Dee just kinda hangs out and takes the scenic route,so to speak.

• 2 weeks later...

(While impatiently waiting for my 45 (US) gallon tank to cycle, I'm considering several possible goldfish breeds.)

I've admired celestials for a long time. But with a light on top of my tank, wouldn't celestials be forced to stare up, directly into it, or else hide all day to shield their poor little lid-less eyes?I'm probably overly concerned, but the idea of my future goldfish being continually dazzled by the bright light bothers me.Any thoughts, or input from celestial owners?

There are few goldfish as whimsical and fun as the Celestial, you'll love them. It's true they adapt to things like looking for food by tilting their bodies at different angles.

But for the most part, they're pretty sedentary and will stay at the bottom for long periods. So baby proof the tank as best you can - same as with a bubble eye. No sharp decorations or anything that can damage their eyes.

Their bellies are delicate so steer away from gravel and sand. If you go bare bottom that's fine. I've had great luck with glass in almost all my tanks and with my fish. The best glass out there comes from American Specialty Glass, it's refined and tumbled on premises and comes in all kinds of colors, sizes and shapes.

http://www.americanspecialtyglass.com

I've never come across a cracked or splintered glass stone or pebble, so the quality is excellent. Here's a link to their site.

As for lighting, I would suggest the single bright LED system made by Marineland, I have a review about them somewhere on here - they're fabulous.

The double bright would be to intense but the single bright units would be perfect - and the lunar mode is gorgeous.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-73765-54994-fish-supply.jpg

... they're pretty sedentary and will stay at the bottom for long periods. So baby proof the tank as best you can - same as with a bubble eye. No sharp decorations or anything that can damage their eyes.

Their bellies are delicate so steer away from gravel and sand. If you go bare bottom that's fine.

Thanks! The tank will have very smooth river rocks, a PVC pipe, and eventually, some plants. Do I need something over the filter intakes as with bubble eyes? The baskets aren't scratchy. (I also should get moonlight LEDs, glowing googly eyes sound amazing, thanks for the suggestion.)

The fish store near my house is going to be putting in an order next week that includes celestials and crown pearlscales, I'm so excited!