Sign in to follow this  
Guest WolfPup64

Columnaris

Guest WolfPup64

My fish has columnaris (threads coming from his mouth.) I treated him with kanacyn, but it didn't do anything. Now I got some Maracyn/Maracyn II and I was wondering:

Can I go ahead and add the Maracyn without removing the Kanacyn from the water?

or

Should I put carbon in the filter to remove the Kanacyn and how long would that take before I can add the Maracyn?

I want to start treatment ASAP because he isn't getting any better. Lately hes been sitting on the bottom of the tank and occasionaly swims really fast up to the water's surface and down again.

I do 50% weekly water changes so the parameters should be fine.

dont take my word for it but, it might be compatible. though, i wouldnt take the chance. put some fresh activated carbon into your filter and perform a 25% water change. im sure that within a couple of days it will be safe to go ahead with the mardel products.

i think that you will be pleased with the maracyn1 and 2! it cured columnaris in my comet rather quickly! that is, if your params stay good!

good luck! :hi

Antibiotics break down in the water after 24 hours so it shuold be safe, but just in case you should do a partial water change. Kanacyn has not worked well for me in the past.

Just because you do 50% water changes doesnt guarantee that your water params are good?especially if you just treated with an antibiotic. Any med that kills off bad bacteria will also kill off good bacteria. You may have an ammonia spike in your tank and not know it. Test your water just to be sure.

The M/M2 combo is a good idea. I recommed that a lot. It has really worked for my fish in the past. Again, keep your water good (no ammonia or nitrite) and that will help your fish in his recovery.