Tahitian Moon Sand

dodge245

Hi everyone,

Im still thinking of setting up a betta tank, im now settled that i will get 6 dwarf corys and a betta in the 10 gallon, ive just been pouring over the type of substrate i should use, ive heard that dwarf corys can damage there barbells(?) on the gravel, so i have been looking at getting some of this black tahitian moon sand:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Caribsea-Super-Naturals-Tahitian-Moon/dp/B0011ZYH9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332967048&sr=8-1

My main concerns are;

1. will the plants be ok planted in the sand, ive read that the sand can 'suffocate' the roots of the plants as the poo and food cant seep into the sand the same way that it would in gravel.

2. how do you go about gravel/sand vacuming, without sucking all the sand up?

Im excited about this tank im just really taking my time and getting things right, still need to buy a proper stand.

I have TMS in my planted tropical tank and the plants are doing great. There is no problem with them getting nutrients. You clean by "sweeping" the siphon just over the top layer of the sand.

because of worrying about sand being so fine posing a problem, I went with fine black Unipac gravel instead. I'm pleased with it tbh, it doesn't get into my filters, the gravel vac doesn't suck it all into the bucket, and my plants are thriving. plus it's a lot cheaper than TMS. just a suggestion. :)

ok sand it is, i really want to try sand out, i came home the other day to find my black moor with a piece of white gravel in its mouth, which was a bit of a shock, thankfully he spit it out eventually. Theres no way that i could go bare bottom the gf would kill me, but i may be able to convince her to switch to sand instead, which is kinda why i want to try it out first in the 10 gallon, just wanted to make sure im making the right choice in sand, as i would hate it to clog the filters and things too and i know that many of you hear use the sand ive linked above.

I even have TMS in my 5 gallon betta tank, planted. It is great, and easy to keep clean.

I think the gravel you have to be careful with with cories is the one with sharp edges. Smooth gravel doesn't cause a problem.

But guess what! A week ago one of my goldfish had a piece of TMS stuck in his nose :doh11:

1. will the plants be ok planted in the sand, ive read that the sand can 'suffocate' the roots of the plants as the poo and food cant seep into the sand the same way that it would in gravel.

You can use root tabs if you have root-feeding plants.

Also, I think it takes about a week for the sand to fully settle. But I haven't had any problems with filters since the beginning. Actually, now that I think about it, I've only had trouble with TMS and not with my light sand. I wonder if the sand in the impeller problem is related to the TMS specifically, because the TMS has magnetic particles in it. Hmmm. I'm thinking out loud here. :hmm

I found that I had impeller problems with the HOB and Tahitian moon sand only when I left the filter running while pouring new water into the tank--it would swirl up and sometimes stop the impeller dead. But, I also found that on the HOBs I had, I could twist off the motor box from the HOB main body and shake the sand (or gravel) out once it was dry. Maybe I was lucky, but the two times I did it, the HOB started up again after that.

BTW, I just got curious about magnets and TMS so tested it with a fairly strong magnet I have--and yup, when the magnet was placed just above it, some TMS jumped up and stuck to it. But not with a great deal of strength.

Edited by spillie

Hmm so mabye i should avoid TMS if it has the ability to break the filter, is there any other types of sand anyone here would recommend? I saw a build once where someone used pool filter sand in there large tropical tank.

I should add I do have TMS in all my betta tanks. I just learned I need to remember to turn the filters off when changing the water-and only turn them back on after the sand has settled if it gets stirred up when I pour the water in. The little filters on the betta tank don't suck it off the bottom when all is calm in there. :)

I also should add that I have TMS in two tanks. Both are a mix of another substrate and TMS. In the goldfish tank, I did have problems with my filters right after adding the sand, but I never had problems in my betta tank. They don't stir anything up. :)

I'm not saying all sand won't affect the impeller, but maybe that TMS is worse. When I just cleaned my filters on Monday on my tank with light sand, one of them was full of sand, but it didn't effect the impeller.

Dodge, I'm not trying to talk you out of sand. I love the sand. It just occurred to me that the TMS stopped an impeller, but the light sand hasn't done that.

I haven't had any issues with TMS for the past year in all 3 of my HOBs and my canister. This is perhaps because I don't extend my intake tube all the way down to the sand.

You don't have to extend the intake tube all the way down near the sand. In fact, I wouldn't. The tank is still totally clean and clear of debris. :)

Shawn does make a good point about the magnetic properties of the TMS and may be something to consider.

• 1 year later...
  • Supporter

But guess what! A week ago one of my goldfish had a piece of TMS stuck in his nose :doh11:

you need to teach your fish some table manners, hun.. :rofl

Late reply is late, huh? :rofl2:heart

i've been catching up on the news, member by member..... :tomuch: i admit.. i'm getting old and my pace is proof of it! :rofl

you need to teach your fish some table manners, hun.. :rofl

Late reply is late, huh? :rofl2:heart

i've been catching up on the news, member by member..... :tomuch: i admit.. i'm getting old and my pace is proof of it! :rofl

That's ok. I still love you :heart:rofl

because of worrying about sand being so fine posing a problem, I went with fine black Unipac gravel instead. I'm pleased with it tbh, it doesn't get into my filters, the gravel vac doesn't suck it all into the bucket, and my plants are thriving. plus it's a lot cheaper than TMS. just a suggestion. :)

Unipack black sand or the micro gravel?

I used the gravel. this one: http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/aquatics/gravel-substrates-and-rock/fine-black-aquarium-gravel-2-5kg.html

I had tms in my chi with no problrms. The cichlids have sand and a canister filter. I never turn off the filters unless there's feeding problems or if I'm doing a more than 50% water change. So far I've never had sand in the filters.

I say go for it, it looks beautiful (when clean lol) and the fish really seem to enjoy it.

I used the gravel. this one: http://www.warehouse...avel-2-5kg.html

Would you post up a tank photo to show how big the gravel is please?